POE just full screen clears?

"
trixxar wrote:
Sorry element274, some builds can clear shaper and guardians with low risk and not much investment or skill.

Why? Because some skills and builds are leagues beyond others. My last build was a meta and it cost 20c to get to shaper clearing.

Nice. Can you share a link or an idea of this build. I'm planning on maybe reaching Shaper next league, since my build this league died a lot on tier 15 maps and can't afford the Ex investments to get through. I hope it doesn't rely too much on flasks though. Thanks in advance.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
"
LOL wrong game then GGG has been encouraging you to speed clear for months and no plans to slow it down. It's how it should be speed clear kill mobs repeat how an ARPG has always been played unless your build isn't very good well that's your issue.

Are you sure ?
I could have sworn there were some not-so-old addition that are more about slowing people down that speeding them up.

Like SSF. Or Shield Charge nerf. Or, you know, the entire design behind private leagues.

And there is also the fact that you reach "endgame" way before you reach full power. With multiple "endgamy" stepping stones all along the way. With rewards barely going up. Meaning that you can find your personal endgame in multiple places and at different power level.

Regardless, even if all that were false, the point still stands.
When you are clearing T15 screens fast with no risk, aren't you just buying a lottery ticket ?
I mean, it's fine. It's good design that you can make a part of the game a slot machine if you want to. It's not so fine when you reach enough power that the entire game is a slot machine.

It IS the right game, with the right design. Of course, speed clear is also part of the design. But just because there is imbalance due to the game's complex mechanics does it mean that speedclearing is the core of the game's design.

ARPGs were never about clear speed. They are about promising clear speed to the players, and doing everything they can to prevent the player from reaching it.
ARPGs are about the obstacles. With no obstacles, they are gambling games. ARPGs are about finding balance between promises and obstacles. And that is not an opinion, but a (simplified) fact.

That's why the trailers show characters destroying everything. That's what the player wants to reach. Ideally, that's what the players should be close to reach, but never quite.
In PoE, you can indeed break the ceiling. Which is unfortunate, but acceptable because it's not easy and is a consequence of positive game complexity.
"
polimeris wrote:
ARPGs were never about clear speed. They are about promising clear speed to the players, and doing everything they can to prevent the player from reaching it.
ARPGs are about the obstacles. With no obstacles, they are gambling games. ARPGs are about finding balance between promises and obstacles. And that is not an opinion, but a (simplified) fact.

It's fun when people try to generalize like this. Or romanticize other, old aRPG's. You know, for a lot of people, D2 was/is about world records, right? How fast they can do certain things? And you know there's videos out there, where people beat the game "naked"? It's always fun to look back in time, and remember things for what they really are.

Anyhow; in my eyes, aRPG's have always been about the "hunt for ultimate power". You build. You loot. You trade. You plan to make your character as powerful as possible. It would be a waste if the game never let you reach this "ultimate power".

Yes, you can argue that the investment needed to reach this "state" of power is too low in PoE right now. You can also argue that the "roof" is too high when it comes to speed. But most players will always look for efficiency when it comes to games like this. And very few things in this game forces you to clear fast. It is a choice.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Nov 10, 2018, 6:01:42 AM
"
polimeris wrote:
"
LOL wrong game then GGG has been encouraging you to speed clear for months and no plans to slow it down. It's how it should be speed clear kill mobs repeat how an ARPG has always been played unless your build isn't very good well that's your issue.

Are you sure ?
I could have sworn there were some not-so-old addition that are more about slowing people down that speeding them up.

Like SSF. Or Shield Charge nerf. Or, you know, the entire design behind private leagues.

And there is also the fact that you reach "endgame" way before you reach full power. With multiple "endgamy" stepping stones all along the way. With rewards barely going up. Meaning that you can find your personal endgame in multiple places and at different power level.

Regardless, even if all that were false, the point still stands.
When you are clearing T15 screens fast with no risk, aren't you just buying a lottery ticket ?
I mean, it's fine. It's good design that you can make a part of the game a slot machine if you want to. It's not so fine when you reach enough power that the entire game is a slot machine.

It IS the right game, with the right design. Of course, speed clear is also part of the design. But just because there is imbalance due to the game's complex mechanics does it mean that speedclearing is the core of the game's design.

That's why the trailers show characters destroying everything. That's what the player wants to reach. Ideally, that's what the players should be close to reach, but never quite.
In PoE, you can indeed break the ceiling. Which is unfortunate, but acceptable because it's not easy and is a consequence of positive game complexity.

Wtf are you talking about ARPG's has always BEEN about clear speed unless your build was truly dog doo doo I did in D2 grimdawn hell I do in other RPG's like dark souls.

Perfection is power how I FUCKING DO. Power

Power
POWER?!

And here u going ARPG's has never been about speed???????????? ROFL entire point of an ARPG is to become the pinnacle of perfection how well you do shit etc.

Improvements
Min max
best gear
max currency to get that gear

That's all PoE and you're like NOPE IT'S NEVER ABOUT THAT than wtf is thee point of an ARPG or an RPG in general? hahahaha oh boy it's like you never played D2 or some shit.

Making your char into a god is what ARPG's are there for to strive for it and how well or fast you do it in my terms.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 10, 2018, 6:19:14 AM
Pretty much.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Wtf are you talking about ARPG's has always BEEN about clear speed unless your build was truly dog doo doo I did in D2 grimdawn hell I do in other RPG's like dark souls.

Perfection is power how I FUCKING DO. Power

Power
POWER?!

And here u going ARPG's has never been about speed???????????? ROFL entire point of an ARPG is to become the pinnacle of perfection how well you do shit etc.

Improvements
Min max
best gear
max currency to get that gear

That's all PoE and you're like NOPE IT'S NEVER ABOUT THAT than wtf is thee point of an ARPG or an RPG in general? hahahaha oh boy it's like you never played D2 or some shit.

Making your char into a god is what ARPG's are there for to strive for it and how well or fast you do it in my terms.

That's... what I am saying. ARPG is about making your character powerful. It doesn't really matter what the top is. And ideally, an ARPG doesn't ever let you be exactly where you want to be. Because it tries to keep you playing in hope you will be more powerful. If you can actually reach the point where ennemies don't matter... you kind of finished the game.
So an ARPG shows ultimate power as advertisement. Then when you play it, it doesn't give it to you.

Clearspeed happens to be what's the most efficient in ARPGs, but only as a consequence of being the easiest and fair solution to implement as the best "character improvement route".
If tomorrow you get a PoE boss with no gating that gives you the best drops in the game the longer you survive him, suddenly clearspeed becomes irrelevant in the meta. Is it going against ARPG design ? Not really, it's pretty much boss farming.

Be careful not to mix up what is a consequence of what. Clearspeed is desirable because it's the best way to achieve progress. Because progress is what you want. So if you can reach a point where your character improves, but it doesn't actually matter in the game, that is a legitimate problem.

Not one that more than 99% of players will reach in PoE, but a legitimate problem nonetheless. It is less apparent in slower paced ARPG like GD or D2, but it's still a design flaw (kind of solved by PvP in D2. Only kind of). In PoE it's more apparent because you can nuke screens at extreme speed, making you wonder: WTF am I doing ?

To draw parallel with the news... kind of like when you "swipe left to kill Diablo" on mobile. It's kind of fun, sure. Is it the epitomy of ARPG experience ? Eeehh. It LOOKS like it. But you don't quite feel the same either.
Last edited by polimeris on Nov 10, 2018, 9:18:25 AM
Funny alot of D3 players usually say that PoE is a slow game. Because they try it for 10 mins.
But in reality if we look at PoEs late game there is no ARPG with faster gameplay.
Even with 100kish dps you can clear tier 15 maps very fast. But now there are loads of builds with millions of DPS.

I understand that some people really want a fast gameplay and just wanna clear maps fast and collect loot.
But I get kinda bored with the late game. Everything melts and there is no real challanges except for some very unusual cases.
Playing together works at lower levels but in endgame its just effects all over the screen.

But think GGG is kinda stuck with this now. People have gotten spoiled and would rage if they had to go back to slower gameplay.

Last edited by WickedSausage on Nov 10, 2018, 2:25:30 PM
If you ever see "PoE is slow" anywhere just show those idiots this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UL_HygMwbA
"
element274 wrote:
"
trixxar wrote:
Sorry element274, some builds can clear shaper and guardians with low risk and not much investment or skill.

Why? Because some skills and builds are leagues beyond others. My last build was a meta and it cost 20c to get to shaper clearing.

Nice. Can you share a link or an idea of this build. I'm planning on maybe reaching Shaper next league, since my build this league died a lot on tier 15 maps and can't afford the Ex investments to get through. I hope it doesn't rely too much on flasks though. Thanks in advance.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2104647

Replace the Lyco shield with a lioneye remorse for 2c and the whole build is about 20c tops. Most of that is just rare 6l chest.

The blind jewel is key, and even at 5% chance your hit per second is so insane that you will blind them reliably within first second for bosses.

Unfortunately, this is not insta screen clear so you work harder in incursions and delve.

You can mostly facetank with the build but at guardians and shaper level you do have to watch positioning but it strong even if you arent experienced.
"PoE is the greatest ARPG ever", nope. It does have the best item system it has a good loot hunt desing (no so much anymore due to nerfs). However the gameplay is just like a fast food ARPG.

"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info