A Novice at PoE: Further Advice on Improving and Tips

Hello everyone, new to the forums

I had started playing PoE a number of months back on Xbox (started about midway through Bestiary), have been loving it and with recently getting a PC, would like to start playing on there instead.

I had reached the start of Act 3 and I have a good understanding on a majority of the key mechanics and system. This includes how currency works, most key recipes, gems playing the biggest part in builds rather than passives, gem leveling basics such as checking that I have enough stats for the next level etc.

I would however like to know any more about gem leveling but more importantly how to efficiently select passives and create builds.

The character I was using was a Templar with an emphasis on lightning skills such as Arc (for mobs), Smite (for buffing damage and melee), Storm Call (for single target) but also used Magma Orb and Glacial Hammer, just for damage variety. I also used Rejuvenation Totem for when things get rough and I needed healing, and Shield Charge as a low cost movement skill. It wasn't as lightning focused as I feel it should of been and on top of that, my passive skill branching wasn't too great based on what I've heard in the community.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry if I dragged on a bit too long.
Last bumped on Nov 9, 2018, 11:04:47 AM
Can you please make your character public? It's easier that way.

If you don't know how, go to account page by clicking your username in the top left. On the right hand side click on privacy settings and untick the box labeled "hide characters tab".

I was just stating what my character on Xbox was.

I haven't started on PC yet
Oh, apologies. Misunderstood. :)
Hey op, you should definitely put path of building on your pc if you are making builds. It is the only way you can realustically try a lot of combinations in a little time.

It will also solve your passive tree optimisation and gem selection problems.

It's also worth noting that lightning builds are great early game, but get tougher later on as they are squishy, often need expensive crit items, and often rely on shock too.

Good luck!
Also, was wondering how much health am I looking to get average for most characters?

I always hear how you should be going for health nodes most of the time when assigning passives.
"
GingerBoi175 wrote:
Also, was wondering how much health am I looking to get average for most characters?

I always hear how you should be going for health nodes most of the time when assigning passives.

Try to stack about 300hp per act in storymode, so you´ll end up with about 3k life at the end of act 10.
Thats good enough for softcore.

For yellow maps you should aim for at least 4k life, 5k life for red maps, 6k+ for Guardians and toptier bosses.
Keyword is "at least" - the more, the better obviously :)

Usually that means about 180% life from tree and about 60ish life on average per gear slot.
Thanks for the advice everyone

Just a final question. Any suggestions to where can I find some beginner build ideas, maybe just for my first playthrough, and I'll then start testing out some builds of my own.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info