Why do you never find a rare with a good roll?

Play a lot with a proper filter. Learn to detect what is good and what is bad rapidly. Learn to recognize when an item has a few correct mods with high rolls. These items can usually be metacrafted to become really good items.

Having that said. Finding a weapon with insane stats takes a good deal of luck especially since it also requires the item to be high itemlevel to be able to get the highest rolls.

Lots of people vendor good items frequently, or put them out for sale at too low prices. Experienced players quickly buy those items, craft them properly and put them out for 10 times the price if not more.

Soooo chances are: You have found good rares, just never recognized it as such :P
Last edited by arknath on Nov 7, 2018, 11:11:37 PM
^ this is so true. I remember when I was a noob I vendor a +3 fire staff when SRS was all the rage. OFC I did not know that until a month later and was looking at build guides in witch forums. Tossed like 6ex for some alt shards back then.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 7, 2018, 11:41:16 PM
You can definitely find rares with good rolls - but to do so means checking so many others that were not.

Rares are far more profitable than uniques in the sense that the vast majority of uniques hold little value.

The downside is that the majority of rares aren't worth using.

The reality is I'd see more exalts and other currency if I ignored most rares completely and prioritized items with consistent value - but I also hate the thought of leaving of valuable item on the ground because I didn't bother to ID it.

Using chaos/regal recipe helps offset all the id time - but sooner or later I waste too much time on micromanaging inventory when I knowingly would make more simply by being more efficient.

Each new league I ID fewer and fewer rares, and while I've found something perdy every league, who knows how much trash I've thrown away to do so.
Yep, totally over league play.
I stopped picking up rares a long time ago. I don't even pick up jewelry. You get so much more currency by just going fast.
Its not the rares not worth. Its one`s knowledge about them not worth.
Personally, I made a fortune selling rares this league. A good one.

Just need to know different builds and use a lil mastercrafting with found rares.
This all boils down to your definition of "good". As others have touched upon, if you compare your findings to the best rares on the market, you will be disappointed - over and over again.

If you define "good" as "upgrades", you will find out that the more you trade, the "worse" your drop gets, because you're constantly raising the bar for what's "good".

Threads like this appear once in a while. I remember Chris answered on a few years back, where he stated that very good rares aren't meant to be found (I'm paraphrasing here).

It's easy to agree with threads like these, though. With essences, fossils and chaos raining from the "sky" down in the mine, it's pretty easy to craft OK/good rares. So I don't think raising the quality on found loot would hurt the game.

I miss some sort of deterministic farming regarding rares. They introduced some a while back, with "area-specific" loot on the Atlas like Steel Rings, Opal Rings, Spiked Gloves and so on. They also introduced the Warband mods based on areas on the Atlas. I would build upon this, where certain bosses (Shaper/Elder guardians etc) could drop rares with specific tier mods.

The Minotaur could drop a weapon with one guaranteed T1 mod. The Hydra could drop a bow/quiver with one guaranteed T1 mod. The chance of that item being good, would still be low as hell, but it would add a little bit of incentive to do bossfights.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Prizy wrote:

See, it does happen.

OP, your problem is that you're comparing your drops to the drops of the community at large.

In my experience nowadays, if you play at a fairly high level and ID a lot of good bases you will find a few high value (1ex+) rares per 100 hours. You just have to accept the game needs to be this stingy because in a fresh league, (assuming 50,000ish players at an average of 20 hours per week) people are collectively sinking over a million hours into the game per week. That's over 30,000 "good" items that are essentially permanent.

And that's just from drops, crafting is probably responsible for even more good items.
Others have said it better probably but, yeah, what you are looking for is not "a good roll" but perfect rolls.
Naturally this means you will never be happy.

Unburied_One has some nice examples.

How about these weapons?:
Spoiler

Most of my higher level SSF characters are kinda dead right now, but while leveling i'm also very happy about stuff like this, can be crafted on as i need resistances:

Last edited by Antaiseito on Nov 8, 2018, 5:19:32 AM
"
Unburied_One wrote:

See, it does happen.

Nah most of those we'd vendor, the best ones aren't drops they are fossil crafted. Its good stuff for SSF though which is why SSF is such a good idea in general (because loot becomes more exciting when its not compared to other peoples good rolls)

@Aim_Deep and it has nothing to do with your playtime with the exception that your playtime dictates the number of chances you get to be lucky, i've played PoE thousands of hours i've never found a rare worth more than a couple of ex, it is exactly the same as people complaining about mirror drops sure people with more playtime are more likely to see a mirror but the odds are so low that even those that play excessively won't see one.

Sadly its become a self fulfilling prophecy for me now where due to never finding a rare of any value I don't actually interact with them at all, just make currency faster and buy other peoples luck.
People don't post their drops. You see items on the site here that are one in a billion. Things that amazed people enough for them to post them here. That's a pretty high standard. You'll get one of those a year at best... if you're lucky.

Quit defining "good" by what you see on the trade sites and forum. Define "good" by "does stuff die?" or "did I survive?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info