New Player - Done w/ Diablo (Good Starting Class?)

Welcome!

I am on the "just go and have fun trying things by yourself" train. Following a build guide is nice and certainly helpful, but may minimize the satisfaction of self-exploration. Now, reading a game guide is another thing since POE is truly deceptively complex.

anyway, if you like the perspective of playing as a witch, I would recommend Enki's Arc witch https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951. It's very newbie friendly and easy to understand, and does not require hard to find gear. Far from as tanky and "safe" as a Jug, but it's fun and sparkly.

Don't worry if you fall down, for you will rise again stronger.
"
Welcome!

I am on the "just go and have fun trying things by yourself" train. Following a build guide is nice and certainly helpful, but may minimize the satisfaction of self-exploration. Now, reading a game guide is another thing since POE is truly deceptively complex.

Pretty much this.

Nothing beats playing a new game for the first time. Spending 50% of that time flicking back and forth between guides/skill trees etc will only diminish the emersion.

Do your own thing, as you see fit at least until the end of the story. Or you get well and truly stuck somewhere.
I mean... it depends on how much time you have to play PoE. If time is not an issue learning everything yourself can be quite the nice experience, but if you only have a few hours a week a guide can prevent you running into the xp wall where you constantly die and lose more xp than you have earned. For casual players that can be very demotivating and a guide might have helped them overcome that issue until they learn enough to experiment with own builds.

Then there is the middle way. Read a guide, put it away and go try doing something similar with your own twist.

So for new players I can only recommend a few things:

-Buy a currency tab and at least one premium tab/quad tab and maybe a map tab. (unless you insist on going full f2p)

-Learn what a lootfilter is and ask around for a good one to download (usually you get directed to filterblade.xyz)

-Play for your own fun. Don't watch a stream and expect to do the same as them. Set your own realistic goals (levling to 100 is not realistic for a fresh player for a while)

-Don't cheat, scam or behave like an ass.

-Type /global 820 in chat to join that channel. This is the location to share daily quests with other players. Never ever try to sell anything in global chat.

-Unless you have ARPG experience and/or the ability to not tilt if you lose everything don't try hardcore off the bat. The softcore experience will get you killed more than enough. If you obtain enough knowledge/skill you can move onto hardcore.

-Have fun
I tended to preferred casters.

Totems can be good training wheels as you get familiar with all the ways you can die in Wraeclast.

The basic premise of a totem-focused build is to rely on the totems to attack and absorb damage allowing you to move to safety while still maintaining uptime on damage output.

It can be on the boring side, but it can also be relaxing depending on your mood. And until you've gotten familiar with the fights, boring won't be an issue anyway.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
IamLoco wrote:
If you want to avoid early frustration, change your goals a little:

1st character to lvl 95. And explore the whole game content.

There are people who play this game since 2013 and haven´t reached lvl 100 with a character, yet. Just saying.

2011*

I just like grinding up to like 90 and starting over, really. Content be damned.
My name is Kro and I'm an eternal casual.
just get to level 90 if you can,forget 95 unless you dont mind heavy grinding. for me getting to 95 was so painful,so to a newcomer even 90 might be painful. anyways have fun with whatever you decide
Wow! Thank you all for the great advice. Reading through everyone's comments now! I certainly don't want to "rush" through and of course am perfectly aware of the game's complexity -- I just also know I'm the kind of person that gets annoyed when I'm going about a build wrong, etc. Especially seeing as the skills/passives mechanics are very unforgiving in terms of changing them.

Back in Diablo 2, we just had to reroll new characters. Lol.
"
omgdobbydied wrote:
Hiya folks!

I've heard about PoE here and there, but have never really invested time into learning the game. I've always found it interesting and I'm somewhat drawn to the complexity -- and it's time to give it a shot!

With the announcement of Diablo Immortal for mobile, I'm just pretty done with the franchise at this point outside of casual use on my switch. I want to enjoy a new ARPG, and I'm hoping this is the one!

My preliminary research draws me to the Witch and Templar classes. Might anyone be able to recommend to me any builds that would help me get to max level and get me farming? Not sure if is called MF'ing here, but back in D2 that was the term we used.

In any regard, I'd appreciate any advice. On a side note, if anyone has any guild or clan that welcomes new players -- that'd be great too!

Thanks!

The first thing is that you should never pick a class as the first thing. All classes can visit the same places in the tree, whereas their ascendencies are their own. I find it much better to build around a skill or an item first, THEN pick the class most suited for it. Sometimes weird combinations turn out to be super strong, like a marauder/duelist spellcaster, a witch melee/bow-user (my bowmentalist was probably my most fun and successful char this league).

The next thing is that you need to stay away from so-called noob-traps. These are usually things that appear smart and strong, but turns out are hopeless in the long run. Most of your damage will come from proper itemization whereas most of your survivability will come from the tree (this is a good way of thinking about items vs skills vs tree, but not entirely correct). You NEED a lot of survivability. PoE is a brutal and unforgiving game, where not all chars will succeed.

My first 10 chars were utter failures whereas i think it was my 11th that turned out to completely crush all content.
"
Kookro wrote:
"
IamLoco wrote:
If you want to avoid early frustration, change your goals a little:

1st character to lvl 95. And explore the whole game content.

There are people who play this game since 2013 and haven´t reached lvl 100 with a character, yet. Just saying.

2011*

I just like grinding up to like 90 and starting over, really. Content be damned.

The open beta was the first time without a character wipe, no?
"
Zphyr wrote:
Welcome!

+1

You could also start with this beginner guide series, I've heard it's very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZtq6FSebE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info