Fossil mod, enemies have -9 fire resistance has no effect on pob

Does the fossil mod work like 9 fire pen? Or just makes their fire res -9 total? Couldn't find anything about it online, I couldn't find how the "have" mechanic works.
Meta = cattle

-ty men
Last bumped on Oct 4, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
"
LowBudget780 wrote:
"
I0wa wrote:

Does the fossil mod work like 9 fire pen? Or just makes their fire res -9 total? Couldn't find anything about it online, I couldn't find how the "have" mechanic works.

To see the numbers, go to the "Configuration screen" in PoB. On the right hand side of the window under "For effective DPS" you will see a box that says "Enemy Fire Resistance." Change it to -9.

ty mate. So basically I don't need pen if I'm melee?
Meta = cattle

-ty men
You don't "need" pen if your melee, but you can still use pen.
"
Cragsmith wrote:
You don't "need" pen if your melee, but you can still use pen.

Well melee fire. Melee doesn't mean physical. Physical melee would be a physical melee build that didn't need pen.
Meta = cattle

-ty men
what does melee have to do with pen? If you do elemental damage you need pen, if you do phys you don't
"

Nearby enemies have -9 to Fire Resistance and Nearby Enemies have -9 Fire Resistance are two very different things. The to is very important.

And AFAIK, those kind of mods should work very similarly to resist penetration in most cases. The exception would be enemies that have over the resistance cap (Mostly only happens in the case of bosses in areas with Resistance Mods), in which case penetration is superior to reducing resistances. Also, Damage over time can't gain resist penetration, so in those cases reducing enemy resistance is superior.
"
LowBudget780 wrote:
"
GoldDragon32 wrote:
"

Nearby enemies have -9 to Fire Resistance and Nearby Enemies have -9 Fire Resistance are two very different things. The to is very important.

So how do you figure this out in PoB?

What item or skill will set enemy resistances to a certain value? I can't think of any.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
GoldDragon32 wrote:
"

And AFAIK, those kind of mods should work very similarly to resist penetration in most cases. The exception would be enemies that have over the resistance cap (Mostly only happens in the case of bosses in areas with Resistance Mods), in which case penetration is superior to reducing resistances. Also, Damage over time can't gain resist penetration, so in those cases reducing enemy resistance is superior.

So all nearby enemies just have -9 resistance to fire right? So pen can't get any lower, just of like loreweave

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
what does melee have to do with pen? If you do elemental damage you need pen, if you do phys you don't

Bc nearby
Meta = cattle

-ty men
Last edited by I0wa on Oct 3, 2018, 2:56:19 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:

What item or skill will set enemy resistances to a certain value? I can't think of any.

Inquisitor's Elemental Judgement does this in an indirect way. It ignores resistances, so basically the same as the enemy has 0% resistances.

"Critical Strikes ignore Enemy Monster Elemental Resistances"

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Inevitable_Judgement
Last edited by Nubatron on Oct 3, 2018, 3:20:44 PM
If an enemy has 0 resistances (as most normal and magic monsters do), they will have -9% while in the radius of the effect. That doesn't mean that they're SET to -9%, if they originally have 10% resistance, then they'll end up with 1%.

This looks like it stacks additively with penetration, since penetration causes hits to treat enemies as if their resist was lower than it actually is.
Important difference: penetration calculates based on capped resistances, so at max 75%, while the helmet effect appears to calculate based on uncapped resistances, which can be over 75%. Against monsters this makes close to no difference, but that might be something to keep in mind for hall of grandmasters or PVP (PVP in 2k18 lol).

Regarding the whole "melee" and "nearby" stuff, "nearby" is not a defined keyword in path of exile. Sometimes it's so small that even your average cyclone reaches farther and sometimes it covers almost the entire screen, so it's difficult to tell here.

You DO want penetration anyways though, unless you're using a damage over time based build (RF for example). The -9% might be a lot for damage over time builds since they can't use penetration, but anything that CAN use it usually wants a lot more. More than 40% penetration isn't that uncommon these days, it's a powerful damage boost after all.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info