One thing we forgetting.

Entertainment is blinding us-

Just a reminder to everyone:

Life is short, each of us will meet Death.

Some sooner, some later.

Death exists.

Take 1 minute , close your Eyes and think about your Death.

It might change the way you live now.

This is such a deep thoughts, words cant describe it, you have to think about it yourself.
Last edited by ebeninami on Sep 30, 2018, 10:31:27 AM
Last bumped on Nov 4, 2018, 10:44:48 AM
since death is unavoidable, I prefer to be entertained as much as possible until then, so why would it be blinding me? :)
"
blubbber wrote:
since death is unavoidable, I prefer to be entertained as much as possible until then, so why would it be blinding me? :)

Im not saying you shouldn't enjoy your life, the message is more or less telling something more important to those who waste their Life with useless stuff.

Maybe i phrase it wrong, im not native english speaker/writer.

But i hope now you got my point :)
don't worry, I understood your point (not native english speaker here either), I probably just have a different view. I agree with that life is precious and we should make the most of our time, but the way I see it, life has no purpose or meaning (well going by nature, our purpose is procreation) ... hence all I care about is entertainment and enjoying every moment as much as possible. Ofc not being a douche towards other people and contributing to society should be a given. If by entertainment however you were specifically referring to playing computer games, then I of course agree with you, there is far more to be done with your life :)
"
ebeninami wrote:
"
blubbber wrote:
Im not saying you shouldn't enjoy your life, the message is more or less telling something more important to those who waste their Life with useless stuff.

This is the ancient philosophical conflict between idealism and materialism — words whose colloquial English meanings have become divorced from their philosophical meaning.

Idealism is idea-ism, and since it places primacy on human consciousness death is the end of the only world that matters to idealists. Because we know we are mortal, idealism therefore ultimately sees no lasting purpose to life, unless it appends a consciously experienced afterlife to the living experience. Idealists, thus, tend to be either religious/mystic, or nihilistic/hedonistic.

Materialists, on the other hand, place primacy on physical existence outside of human consciousness, and as such one's own death is not the end of the world to them. Because materialists put more emphasis on what they bring into being than what they think or believe, materialists tend to project their identity into accomplishments made in the outside world — accomplishments that have the potential to leave a legacy that greatly extends past their lifetimes. This kind of secular, unconscious "afterlife" is the exclusive offering of materialism, and is what I believe OP referred to when he said entertainment is blinding us.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 30, 2018, 11:41:52 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
ebeninami wrote:
"
blubbber wrote:

This is the ancient philosophical conflict between idealism and materialism — words whose colloquial English meanings have become divorced from their philosophical meaning.

Idealism is idea-ism, and since it places primacy on human consciousness death is the end of the only world that matters to idealists. Because we know we are mortal, idealism therefore ultimately sees no lasting purpose to life, unless it appends a consciously experienced afterlife to the living experience. Idealists, thus, tend to be either religious/mystic, or nihilistic/hedonistic.

Materialists, on the other hand, place primacy on physical existence outside of human consciousness, and as such one's own death is not the end of the world to them. Because materialists put more emphasis on what they bring into being than what they think or believe, materialists tend to project their identity into accomplishments made in the outside world — accomplishments that have the potential to leave a legacy that greatly extends past their lifetimes. This kind of secular, unconscious "afterlife" is the exclusive offering of materialism, and is what I believe OP referred to when he said entertainment is blinding us.

Yes i share that aswell in my thoughts, thanks for enlightening :)
"
ebeninami wrote:
Entertainment is blinding us-

Just a reminder to everyone:

Life is short, each of us will meet Death.

Some sooner, some later.

Death exists.

Take 1 minute , close your Eyes and think about your Death.

It might change the way you live now.

This is such a deep thoughts, words cant describe it, you have to think about it yourself.

Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks

"
ebeninami wrote:
Yes i share that aswell in my thoughts, thanks for enlightening :)

Hale and Pace - Bar Fight

hf :)
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 30, 2018, 6:11:54 PM
Idealism? No... I don't think death is an end at all, just of my "I", and I'm an infentessimally small speck in a cosmos I cannot begin to fathom. The fact I can I is a quirk, and useful, but that we try to draw "meaning" from life while detatching our "Is" from existence itself is sad.

Materialism? No... again, achievements and legacy? Nope.

Perhaps the better question is has today been a good day?

Live to the fullest of your capabilities and be in the moment because you could be meeting with Death right around the corner.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
erdelyii wrote:
that we try to draw "meaning" from life while detatching our "Is" from existence itself is sad.
While I certainly would warn against premature detachment, each individual's fate is inexorable: our consciousnesses will be detached from existence itself. Sad but true.

As I said before, the "technical" philosophical meaning of idealism is not be conflated with the colloquial meaning of idealism. In the (truly) proper context, there is no contradiction in nihilistic idealism; indeed, nihilism is almost always idealistic.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 2, 2018, 6:38:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info