Your YouTube account is worse than any other I have ever seen - by far!

As someone who has invested both thousands of hours, and thousands of euros, into Path of Exile, I tend to engage with you wherever you operate. I've over 9,000 posts here on the forum, I regularly check out the subreddit, I follow the official Twitter account - and so on.

When it comes to YouTube, the number of advertisements sent to our subscriptions feed is frankly disgusting. There's the obligatory video of every new MTX - or several videos if it's an armour set; I happen to think just the 'full set' video would be sufficient. But nothing I have ever seen on YouTube from any account compares to you opening the flood gates each time a mystery box's MTX get added to the store individually. So I'll share with you what you shared with me;

Let me be clear - if the video is about an MTX, it is an advertisement.

I'm sorry, but I'm done.

And this isn't just a decision I made; it is one I am unwilling to reconsider.

This is some - some - of the ads you've crammed into my face over the course of a single week. And I've had it. I'm reclaiming my https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions page.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Sep 25, 2018, 10:06:29 PM
Last bumped on Sep 26, 2018, 12:29:16 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I don't understand what's the point here. You don't want them to post videos of MTXes on their youtube in order for them to showcase the mtx to potential buyers ?
IGN : Sir_Big
You think it's bad in grid display? Try it with the list option.

I'm pretty close to unsubscribing too.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
I am pretty sure their YouTube channel only exists to deliver videos to threads and the shop. It has no content that needs subscribing to.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
They could easily make another Youtube account for that purpose or simply leave single pieces as unlisted or billion other things. It's just laziness to be honest.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
"
Achilion wrote:
I don't understand what's the point here. You don't want them to post videos of MTXes on their youtube in order for them to showcase the mtx to potential buyers ?

I would have liked it if;

• There was more video content not focused on MTX.
  • They would upload the video for an armour set, but have the videos for individual pieces be set to Unlisted and linked to from the description of the video for the full set.
  • When a mystery box's MTX are available separately, show us the video of the box's contents - not more than 50 individual videos, every single one of which is an advertisement. Again, they're welcome to link to individual videos from the description if they want to.

I consider their use of YouTube to be inconsiderate, at best. They can bring our attention to MTX using videos without indulging in their current level of spam. As noted by Shovelcut, one of the two options for the subscriptions feed is all but unusable purely because of GGG.

To quote the post you're responding to: "or several videos if it's an armour set; I happen to think just the 'full set' video would be sufficient". I never asked them to stop uploading MTX videos entirely; not sure where that red herring came from.

People have complained about this before and the response at the time was that they are "really sorry about this" and that "it won't happen again." It has happened every time since.

Spamming people with more than 50 ads in under an hour isn't acceptable.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

Last edited by Sarno on Sep 25, 2018, 8:21:04 PM
I myself am happy that when I'm browsing the MTX store, I can see a short 5-10 second video of the actual MTX I am considering buying; and don't have to watch 15 minutes of showcasing all the other crap in the box that I have no interest in.

I'm frankly not sure what you're expecting from their youtube: Let's Play PoE with Bex?
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Sep 25, 2018, 9:04:15 PM
It is an old school youtube channel: free video hosting.
Yes they could do better, but I think they should focus on the actual game. I don't care how bad GGG advertise on youtube. I want to play a good game.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
I myself am happy that when I'm browsing the MTX store, I can see a short 5-10 second video of the actual MTX I am considering buying; and don't have to watch 15 minutes of showcasing all the other crap in the box that I have no interest in.

This can be achieved by uploading the videos and setting them to Unlisted.

I am not asking them to stop uploading videos.

----

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Either way, bottom line to me is the youtube GGG account is dominantly for storing mtx videos, not an outlet worth following for announcements of exciting new content.

That's the problem, as the normal expectation for any outlet's YouTube channel is to NOT just be all their ads. In terms of their social media presence, GGG is failing pretty abysmally.

So really, Sarno's title is spot-on: for a company YouTube account, it's pretty damn terrible.

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
I'm frankly not sure what you're expecting from their youtube: Let's Play PoE with Bex?

Funny you should mention that... The closest (business-wise) competitor to PoE is Warframe. And their channel... Yeah, over over one-third of their YouTube video list consists of their community manager's play streams. (and another 1/6 consists of the bi-weekly programs she hosts and brings in various development staff)

Now, I'm not expecting Bex to be as good as Rebbecca Ford, but it certainly shows what sort of aspirations there should be in terms of engaging the community. That's something Ford has very much mastered: she's not just the company's community manager and the game's main voice talent, she's also one of the game's top streamers and cosplayers.

That said, I WOULD like to see more than a couple of videos narrated by her each season. GGG should try to actually make "Build of the Week" far more consistently, y'know, "weekly," and also give us some other content, too. And, yes, I honestly do feel that SOMEONE at GGG should be streaming their own game. Warframe does an hourlong stream every week, which shouldn't be much of a hurdle to match, really.

But if GGG wanted their video side to actually be something to help engagement and stem their flagging player retention, (in terms of playtime, Delve is worse off than any other league in 3.x... And worse than some of the later 2.x leagues) I'd suggest some form of restructuring so that the listed videos gave us a decent balance with the following sort of things:

• Build of the Week - Same as before, but keep it up EVERY week.

• Game: Grinding Gear - Bex (and/or others) stream the game, showing off endgame content themselves. This will differ from just letting ZiggyD show everything is that it'll be "deeper in" than his "on the surface" stuff. No Act 1-10 stuff, only actual endgame grind. (Mapping, deep delves, uber lab, Atziri, Elder, Shaper, etc... Whatever was on hand and they felt like doing)

• Skill Showcases - Expanded from prior work. Give each new skill its own video. This way GGG can start releasing them a bit before a league's end to hype up new content, putting out one a day.

• Item Showcases - Showing off new unique items and/or basetypes. Wouldn't cover ALL new items, just a few more "interesting" ones. These would be best released after a new league STARTS, to keep drawing attention.

• Inside GGG - Truth be told, GGG is actually one of the most OPAQUE companies out there; folks saying otherwise just don't have much to compare against. This could be improved with periodic scripted responses to ongoing issues, as well as a look inside the actual thought process/what GGG was actually up to. This would supplement the period in and around the interleague week, which currently is about the only time we actually get major communications from GGG.

Lastly, Sarno had mentioned, the easy solution for this stuff would be to "unlist" the MTX clips. Unlisted videos can still be linked to and found by anyone with the link, (e.g, from the actual store page) but don't show up normally, and also don't alert any subscribers when published.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info