Physical damage reduction is BS

I have 88 physical damage reduction and white golem hit take 4K of life? This absolutely BS or lie about reduction, or damage of crap mob is ridiculously high. I didn't die because I have more then 5K life but anyway one white mob and 4K damage while you have 88 physical damage reduction? Pure BS.
Last bumped on Sep 24, 2018, 3:46:16 PM
I have to assume that you don't understand how armor works: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armour

The %reduction on the character screen is for an average hit from a white mob. Big hits 'penetrate' armor. So, basically, when you really need it, it sucks. This is why no one just stacks armor. If a white golem hit your for 4k, either you are on a map with extra damage mods, or it was a crit.

P.S. I'm assuming no one has responded yet because your post sounds like a whiny child instead of actually asking for help.
"
Sinthetick wrote:

P.S. I'm assuming no one has responded yet because your post sounds like a whiny child instead of actually asking for help.

That, and not enough information to respond to. Also it doesn't appear the OP is really looking for feedback based upon the tone.
I would guess OP is talking about the flat physical damage reduction mods you get on items which do look laughably small compared to the hits you actually take and not %damage reduction...
that said, I have no actual answer for the OP whether there is a way to get any use out of those...
"
blubbber wrote:
I would guess OP is talking about the flat physical damage reduction mods you get on items which do look laughably small compared to the hits you actually take and not %damage reduction...
that said, I have no actual answer for the OP whether there is a way to get any use out of those...

I considered that, but then gives an example of getting hit for 4k. If he thought a flat 88 damage reduction would put a dent in that, he's incredibly dumb, so no point even going there.
The way flat armor works is weird. Like others have said it doesn't work well against big hits.

The best way to reduce large physical damage hits are things that have % reduced physical damage taken or conversion.

I.E endurance charges, fortify, arctic armor, chaos golem etc. Or convert phys damage to damage of a certain element like with the lightning coil body armor.
Last edited by gladiatorpie on Sep 24, 2018, 1:35:17 PM
"
Kastmar wrote:
I have 88 physical damage reduction and white golem hit take 4K of life? This absolutely BS or lie about reduction, or damage of crap mob is ridiculously high. I didn't die because I have more then 5K life but anyway one white mob and 4K damage while you have 88 physical damage reduction? Pure BS.

Another glorious pure BS Kastmar
Armour never made sense in this game.
It's hard enough for new players to understand it doesn't actually protect against big hits, and then the "defence" tab in char info makes it even worse - by combining flat AR and actual mitigation e.g. Endurance Charges, into one percentage number.

The player sees 88%. What is he supposed to do with this info?
Especially if he knows 88% ele res actually means taking only 12% of the hit.

It's confusing the player, needlessly complex, and should really be improved.
Give it some mouseover info like "take 88% less damage from hits up to 5000 / enemies level up to 80".

Char info like in Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn can be a long boring read, but it's better than no info and mysterious formulas only seen on wiki pages.

Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 24, 2018, 1:54:32 PM
Interesting. They change leech percentage to better understand to player. I got it. So how come if tip says you have 88% physical reduction you actually don't have it? why is this so dumb? Why they don't do the change same as they did with leech?
"
johnKeys wrote:
Armour never made sense in this game.
It's hard enough for new players to understand it doesn't actually protect against big hits, and then the "defence" tab in char info makes it even worse - by combining flat AR and actual mitigation e.g. Endurance Charges, into one percentage number.

The player sees 88%. What is he supposed to do with this info?
Especially if he knows 88% ele res actually means taking only 12% of the hit.

It's confusing the player, needlessly complex, and should really be improved.

It makes sense, but probably could be simplified for the sake of the game.

The underlying thought for the current system being that armor should be good at stopping a ton of little hits, like a thousand needles but should not be able to stop something like a bus hitting you. There is a quote somewhere similar to this I think from GGG.

Just the same, I agree with your sentiment on the defense sheet leading to confusion.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info