Corrupting rare "Desert Springs" map always turns into "Crimson Temple" & Can't Do Bonus!

So I'm really confused.

I've vaal orbed lots of red maps now, but the "Desert Springs" map has upgraded to a "Crimson Temple" map TWICE in a row. None of the other red maps did this... But it is showing as shaped on my atlas.

Is it being upgraded because it's currently a shaper influenced map?

Or am I just getting lucky (yet unlucky because I'm trying to complete the bonus?)

I don't want to keep blowing 10C on maps that I can't complete the bonus on XD

Thanks for the help!
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2018, 5:01:07 AM
Its a normal outcome if you vaal maps.

Spoiler
Vaaling Maps
No effect (other than adding the corrupted property).
Add one level, changing the base type to one appropriate for the new level, and randomizing the affixes. This is the only way to create a level 83 Vaal Temple Map.
Reroll the item into a rare item with up to eight random affixes.
Unidentify the item, retaining its affixes and quantity bonus. Unidentified magic or rare maps receive a 30% bonus quantity.
Corrupting a Shaped or Elder Map can change it to another Shaped or Elder (respectively) Map base of one tier higher, even if that map isn't unlocked on the player's Atlas.
In addition to these effects, all bosses of corrupted maps have a chance to drop Sacrifice Vaal Fragments or Vaal Skill Gems.

You were (un-)lucky twice in a row.
Unlucky because you didnt get your unlock.
Lucky because you got a higher tier map and thus the chance of dropping higher tier maps as well.

If you're not SSF, just buy the map you need and vaal maps yourself for loot rather than specific bosses. If you're SSF, you will just need to be patient and try another few times. Even for maps, where undesirable corruptions are fairly rare (compared to other items that brick beyond repair), I have sometimes needed over 10 attempts to get what I wanted.
"
always

"
twice

Pick one.

It's one possible result of corruption. Since there are only four possible results, getting the same one twice in a row is not at all unlikely.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Sep 21, 2018, 4:10:25 AM
"
Banedaemon wrote:
... TWICE in a row.

wow twice......
"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info