Would you pay for proper content? or Sulphite-be-gone: how to

many people here (esp. the fanboys) pay (=donate) for cosmetic mtx which have no game play effect, and in fact poe's entire business model is based on that baffling concept - which is as we can see with delve league affecting development cycles HARD and leads to a slew of problems, missed opportunities and bugs.

so, would you pay instead for proper content?

how about a business model where

a)
permanent modes have the core gameplay and regular events like flashback stuff and challenges, competitions etc that use existing assets but keep things fresh (some of these things might as well start you off on a new char in a new "economy" if that's your thing)

and

b)
premium paid temp leagues that feature expansion-sized new assets (size must be at least equal to masters combined with vaal) some or all components of which go to core later (that part doesn't change). things like that were called an "add-on" in the good old days of gaming.

the advantage of that model is that the massive income from the paid expansion leagues 1) allows for proper conception, implementation and testing and proper content expanding the depth of the gameplay by adding new layers of complexity instead of recycling the same old dumb "different buff over the monsters' heads" shtick and 2) takes away the pressure of ggg having to resort to cheap tactics like slowing the (casual and new) players down with limiters like sulphite in order to frustrate them with a lack of progress and make them start new characters in order to sell more skill mtx and stash tabs. a paid delve would not have any need for sulphite but could indeed for once put the focus on enjoyable gameplay instead of frustrating grind.

in my view, paid leagues would put the entire game on a new level if implemented properly.

tldr: people complain about lack of testing and the implementation or even existence of sulphite. this is how to satisfy them.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Sep 20, 2018, 6:38:10 AM
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2018, 10:34:28 AM
Yeah great idea because games with paid for content never have bugs in...
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
Sounds stupid and harmfull. Adding paid content to free to play game? Seriously? Sounds like it could be extremely harmfull to the game and its playerbase.
The whole sulphite thing is not actually a bug or development error, which could have been prevented by proper testing. You know that right? It's a design choice, one they alter when too many players will complain about it.

No amount of paid content and/or extra testing is going to prevent these things from happening in the future. Unfortunately GGG make a lot of choices in favor of those that spend insane amounts of time on this game. They will keep doing that.

And - as others already said - paying for content does not guarantee a flawless game.
"
Laskinaama wrote:
Sounds stupid and harmfull. Adding paid content to free to play game? Seriously? Sounds like it could be extremely harmfull to the game and its playerbase.

you pay to get it earlier. that is a very common business model. but yeah, this is the poe community, what was I thinking, of course what I said is "stupid"

and there's a whole world of difference between TRYING to make a working game without bugs and limiting factors like sulphite and map sustaining and what ggg does right now. and great game to cherry-pick some random detail to complain and outright ignore the general idea

but this thread has really done it, last time I made a constructive suggestion of any sort in this toxic place. keep playing your brainless bullshit, for me this is the last char I'll ever make as with people like you ggg couldn't improve the game even if they wanted to
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Sep 20, 2018, 11:05:24 AM
"
LMTR14 wrote:
many people here (esp. the fanboys) pay (=donate) for cosmetic mtx which have no game play effect, and in fact poe's entire business model is based on that baffling concept

whoops lol
"
LMTR14 wrote:
but this thread has really done it, last time I made a constructive suggestion of any sort in this toxic place. keep playing your brainless bullshit, for me this is the last char I'll ever make as with people like you ggg couldn't improve the game even if they wanted to

You are not constructive when you call other players "fanboys".
Also you can't satisfy the whiners.
Basically you want to experience league with your standard characters, as I believe that was the sense a previous thread/response.

Has it ever occurred to you why there are leagues when they could insert the league mechanics into standard?

If it wasn't for leagues, this game would have shut down. When you play a game that revolves so heavily around repetition, player retention requires a means of keeping those players motivated.

Challenges provide fresh goals to pursue.

Fresh starts mean not only does everyone begins with equal footing but the brand new economy means that there's value in items that would have none in a flooded market.

Why not have league gameplay in both league and standard?

You take away focus from the league. League play tends to fade after just two months - you don't want standard to be competing with league for players but you also want players who prefer more permanence an option to continue to enjoy their characters after a league ends.

Sulphite is an issue in that its a largely redundant time sink given that delve progress is already regulated by the azurite grind. While time sinks are inevitable, when efficiency becomes almost essential -- the means of achieving said efficiency are likely to lead to premature player burn out.
Yep, totally over league play.
Your post opened with a thinly veiled insult....and then went downhill from there.

To your point, Charan still dreams of the paid to play user moddable PoE, but that was promised loooooong ago and looks like it will never happen before the lights go out at GGG.

The basis of this game is FTP (go to another post to debate this), and so the business model involves the MTX you are so baffled by, stash tabs, and new economics in a league cycle.

You are LITERALLY looking for a pay to play game, because to your mind the pay to play model is superior in design and results. Good luck with that.
Nope I wouldn’t.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info