Some of you seem to hate maps, why?

Mapping just simply sucks. It's like playing a game without playing a game. Hold 1 button and watch everything melt. GGG is so proud of their mapping system that they made delve's content locked behind it. Make us suffer of boredom for an eternity before we can go back to delve again. The only challenge of mapping is sustaining the damn maps, not running them. Not to mention, they give us no incentive to run different maps. We got 156 maps in the game yet the most efficient strategy is just to pick 1 map that you like and run it over and over.

Completing all atlas is unrewarding, you handicap yourself by having to deal with shitty map bosses like Desert Spring map boss where you have to go through a million of invulnerability phases before you can kill damn thing.

Mapping sucks, power creep absolutely destroyed any balance in them.

Even delve itself is disappointing too, the mob HP does not scale properly. Shit dies in seconds at depth 100, it dies as fast at depth 200. Forget about positioning your character, you can just facetank everything just like you do it in maps. The game has failed to make you fight the monsters. They don't and won't fight back. But they sure will leave this shitty after death explosions just so GGG can kill you at least with something. But even the corpse explosions you can also cheat with an Inpulsa or any other explosion mechanics on monster's death.

GGG's philosophy is not to make a challenging game but to make it grindy. It's not you fighting with monsters, it's about you killing the monsters before they can land a hit on you. Such game's mechanics are boring and just not fun. Delve has proved that the philosophy still remains the same and not going to change.

The only hope is custom leagues where you can choose your own settings for the league so if I want monsters to have +500% hp in maps I can choose that. Until then the leagues are fun only for 1 week after that I just burn out and quit like I just did yet again.
i actually started to respond to some concerns in this thread, but found it a waste of time. the whining and entitlement in this thread is completely nuts. people "hate" maps, get a new mechanic to shake things up (sure, tied to maps, i get it) and still complain. everything is "unrewarding" even though this league drops top items like crazy.

take a break from the game if you're burnt out instead of dragging everyone else down. it's not constructive criticism here, it's just complete negativity. at this point, reddit is far less toxic than the official forums.
you complete map because you have to.

Honestly I would rather prefer a system where you can choose what maps you want to play, but with no Atlas Completion and maybe the drop rate of maps depends on something else.
Last edited by ThoryX on Sep 17, 2018, 3:10:40 AM
Mostly from SSF perspective:

1) The game "sort of" provides a way to aim for specific uniques (div cards), but the atlas makes it very difficult to sustain the maps necessary. You can close the maps you don't currently need but if you do this, you won't have enough sextants to use them for their intended purpose (that is if you even have enough sextants to close those maps).
2) Overall maps sustain is a pain. Having a 90+ level character and running a T7 map just because that's the best you have is no fun.
3) Once you've seen one or two layouts for one map, you've seen them all. The process of completing a map is semi-automatic. That's why i kinda like running labs (on a character that's not optimized for that, otherwise it's still semi-automatic), enjoyed incursion and love delve - you get to actually plan on how to proceed.
Hi
I love maps, but I hate a map's drop system.
I hate to find a Thicket map t6 on corrupt. Basilica t15 with nasty rolls.
I hate to fight with bosses for nothing. ( about 1 map /20 duels ).
I hate to buy maps ( AS A MAIN CONTENT ) for abnormal prices.

In summary, I have an impression ( also my friends from guild ) that this league is "dry" like Sahara with red map's RNG. This is pathetic that main content is so screw up. I cannot imagine to play on SSF with this shit
Greets
Last edited by Varan1971 on Sep 17, 2018, 5:37:14 AM
"
LaiTash wrote:
Mostly from SSF perspective:

1) The game "sort of" provides a way to aim for specific uniques (div cards), but the atlas makes it very difficult to sustain the maps necessary. You can close the maps you don't currently need but if you do this, you won't have enough sextants to use them for their intended purpose (that is if you even have enough sextants to close those maps).
2) Overall maps sustain is a pain. Having a 90+ level character and running a T7 map just because that's the best you have is no fun.
3) Once you've seen one or two layouts for one map, you've seen them all. The process of completing a map is semi-automatic. That's why i kinda like running labs (on a character that's not optimized for that, otherwise it's still semi-automatic), enjoyed incursion and love delve - you get to actually plan on how to proceed.

One point here - The lab has the same semi-permanent layout as maps do, right? You do lab enough, you know exactly where to go in any given part of the lab to find the exit. So I am not sure how this differs at all from maps.

I agree with your points though. I've been struggling with my maps but recently had a decent run of RNG: I got something like 8 red maps along with several Horizon orbs from Delve 150 Vaal city nodes to allow me to really take a bite out of my Atlas.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Sep 17, 2018, 9:46:16 AM
My problem with maps is that I lose motivation partway through. I have yet to meet the shaper or even kill a guardian, because I just ended up stopping before then, even with builds that probably could have managed.

I haven't had much time to play the league so far, but I'm excited about the crafting options. I'm just not sure yet how much I will bother to farm myself or if I'll end up farming maps, atziri or lab for currency instead. From my point of view (as an outsider, admittedly) this league is at least a success in terms of having people prefer the league mechanic over maps. Whether the distribution between required map farm and voluntary delve farm is adequate or necessary is a different story.

I do hope that the mechanic will be added to the core game as an alternative to mapping eventually though. That will probably require a way to sustain itself and lower chances of league specific drops in there though.

The problem I see with the current league and the way it interacts with maps is that it's pure farming in the maps without a challenge like a breach, abyss, or harbinger. It's just a resource that needs to be clicked.
I do not hate maps.

I hate what maps have become.

I really hate trading for maps, throwing currency at maps (for shit returns how in the hell can i run a tier 14 map with some crazy ass mods and end up with a tier 7 map in return), the elder/shaper nonsense (i have no idea what is going on and i want it to stop), etc.

Still failing to solve "The Riddle of Melee" 4.0 HYPE!!!
SILLY BITCH...THE EAGLES ARE COMING!!!
THE EAGLES!!! (bleeds out from a wound to the gut)
the eagles...are...coming...(coughs)...the eagles...
Mapping is a pain - you potter along nicely through to say level 6 then hit an unlucky patch and end up running lvl 3 maps for a week before getting past lvl 6. Then smoothly to 8 hit another unlucky patch and end up running lvl 5 maps for a week before somehow getting past lvl 8.

I buy maps after the map rng gets me to the point of losing the will to live only to end up PM'ing 12 different people before someone answers because the developers cannot be bothered giving us an actual AH.

Running low level maps is just unrewarding, I get through 20 of them to get a total of 5% XP for my next level only to die on the 21st due to lag.

Thanks to the cartography rooms in incursion it felt a lot better but this league has gone back to getting stuck on a level then having to go back 3 map levels in the hope of building up again.
Some may hate mapping but what we really are hating is the stupid RNGating on the red maps. Running a chiseled red map and only getting a low level white map drop sucks the big one.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info