Some of you seem to hate maps, why?

It'd be nice if they varied a bit in time of day, weather, and some more hills and water to cross.

I don't think people hate maps. Its acceptable endgame content. But its repetitive and gated behind sometimes unforgiving RNG. I think the atlas bonus should be changed from +chance to drop to +quantity of maps. Maps should always drop from the boss. Atlas bonus should go into increasing the quantity of maps found by normals/magic/rare mobs. So if you complete 100 maps the quantity should go up by a significant margin. Every league without fail there are multiple posts of sustain. Ive ran into it before. I think we all know of at least one league where you had to trade for maps. It happens.
I really dislike maps with a passion, simply because of the grind they pose before being able to do shaper/guardians, which is normally my main objective.

Having to run maps, hoping to get more maps to run, to get to higher maps, after which you try to buy and fill out the rest of the maps in your atlas you havent found, just to be able to sustain your red maps better, to get to guardians so you can farm them to get to shaper.. (intentional long sentence)

It simply kills the game for me.
More often than not, and i end up making alts instead.
Really wish maps worked like a "chain" instead, where you clear Map1 and unlock access to Map2 and so on, where you can run whatever you like after they are unlocked. Maybe still being able to use currency on them as today.

Anyway, thats just me. Im sure a lot of people love them as they are.
Last edited by Conzolax on Sep 14, 2018, 9:05:39 AM
While i don't really hate them, i dislike them from league to league more.

I dislike most of the layouts and are forced to run them since they got rid off atlas manipulation, even more so since they introduced the elder/shaper mechanic.
Also most of them feel empty and thus boring unless you throw shitloads of currency at them.
Doing them since 3 or more years didn't really help even more since there is no variation regarding map tiers (apart from shaping)
Map sustain doesn't feel right, you can kill Uber Elder but still have to run t12/13 maps because every tier above drops to rarely.

Many of us wanted an alternative to the whole map system and delve looked awesome in this regard, except that we have to spent more time farming sulphite in maps than actually beeing in the mine.
Imho delve would be perfecct without the whole sulphite mechanic even if GGG had to nerf the droprates.

You can just jump in them and have fun, no need for rolling maps, applying sextants, influence etc., also the packsize is amazing.

Delve should be a viable alternative to maps. Want to do shaper, elder -> do maps if not go in the mines
"
tutuz wrote:
..You can just jump in them and have fun, no need for rolling maps, applying sextants, influence etc., also the packsize is amazing...

I tough depth will like in diablo - simply changing floors and go deeper and deeper..
When I first started playing, in beta GGG said maps were a TEMPORARY end game until all the acts and stuff were completed, now though sadly this ain't the case, 6 limited portals for a zone sucks balls, especially if you like to take your time and pick up lots of items.
I thought the maelstrom of chaos was the temporary end game and maps were from the start designed to be the true endgame
I started playing SSF again in Delve some days ago just to see how it feels progression wise. I'm now at depth 228/lvl80 and I can easily go deeper with my char. At the same time I have 72 maps completed and my highest are 3 T10 maps...
I don't hate maps but the stupid slow progression I despise.
"
Conzolax wrote:
Really wish maps worked like a "chain" instead, where you clear Map1 and unlock access to Map2 and so on, where you can run whatever you like after they are unlocked. Maybe still being able to use currency on them as today.

Anyway, thats just me. Im sure a lot of people love them as they are.

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand people saying maps are too repetitive. Any kind of endgame is repetitive. That's not it.

It's just the enormous grind every league to get to high tier maps. I've already put 40+ hours in Delve and I've yet to find my first red map.
Last edited by bablo on Sep 14, 2018, 11:16:19 AM
I actually really enjoy the Atlas mechanism and mapping. I am 50/50 on the Elder/Shaper mechanic.

I have a small issue with map sustain, as I play exclusively SSF and have personally found over time that sustain has become progressively more difficult.

I have quit 2 leagues out of the last several because of map sustain issues leading to frustration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info