Some of you seem to hate maps, why?

I was about to write a long post why I love them but this thread is not about that, tell me why you hate them?
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2018, 9:01:25 PM
The reasons I can think on top of my head:

1) People are cheap
2) Don't like the RNG
3) Can lead to a dry streak
4) Sextants, shaper/elder, atlas mechanics
5) People are cheap
I hate maps right now because i've done several hundred and i'm stuck at T6, my stash tab is literally all white maps i've never had such a bad luck streak, i get no xp, i get no loot of any value, don't get any sulphite and all while being not challenged at all.

At worst at this stage in a league im usually bouncing between 10-11, being stuck at 6 is retarded, trading for missing T12+'s in a dry spell is fine, trading for a batch of T6s is not.

Note I'm fully aware of the nature of rng drops if i push for long enough i'll get past this bubble but its gating my progress compared to my peers for no reason, its just wasting my time.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Sep 14, 2018, 5:41:03 AM
Because they are just a boring grind. I rarely get higher than tier 3-5 in a league. After I've done a map or two in a day, I have no motivation to do any more. There is nothing about maps that gives me any motivation to play them.
I don't hate maps, but it should not be difficult to see how mapping can become stale for players that have been doing it for years. Moreover, playing the Atlas in this league is exactly the same as playing Standard. Players want to delve, not play Atlas in "Std mode".
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I liked Nephalem Rifts and Greater Rifts back in the day.

Having played Diablo III for about 6,700 hours, I just can't bring myself to face another one. It's a shame, too - Necromancers are my favourite class in ARPGs, but by the time Blizzard released one I was so done with the game's content that I just wasn't interested in trying it out.

I think that'll be the same for some people with Maps in Path of Exile. It's not that they think something is inherently wrong with the system - they've just spent hundreds or thousands of hours doing the thing and are looking for a different thing to do. That's understandable.

I should note that the above isn't to suggest that nobody has legitimate criticism of Maps. Just the perspective that while some may dislike Maps, for others it's not a case of disliking the content but the amount of time spent doing it. Even with new Maps or new Map mods, at the end of the day it's the same system. Path of Exile would benefit from having an alternative.

It's a shame that GGG never went back and fleshed out the Prophecy system more - perhaps the number of people engaging with it just didn't justify the time investment. Hopefully Delve is improved and sticks around. I wonder what their plans are for 4.0...
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

There you go guys, my best remaining map ^^ I didn't even get that one from mapping it came outa a delve chest... Like looking at my map tab I've not even been making low tiers consistently, i've probably averaged 1.2 maps/map, Zana is responsible for most of my progress
how exactly and why people hate maps again?
GGG failed the mapping system this league is all.

They made delve entangled with it, but didn't provide any incentives or manipulations so it results in the "map system we already know".

At least the next patch is adressing the white maps giving the same amount of sulphite vs a corrupted 8 modded map.

Now what would really make mapping interesting in delve is if they gave maps a new implicit called "sulphite node count".

Imagine if a strand map had 1-2 sulphite node count

Then imagine if a cells had 2-5 sulphite node count

All of a sudden the entire map system can be rediscovered again for delving and a lot more maps become eligible to run without feeling your being inneficient.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Now what would really make mapping interesting in delve is if they gave maps a new implicit called "sulphite node count".

Imagine if a strand map had 1-2 sulphite node count

Then imagine if a cells had 2-5 sulphite node count

There could also be a map affix "of the underground", that would give you extra sulphate piles. (tho I guess that would have no point in Std)

I have hundreds of orbs I have no use for and would gladly spend them to get more delving out of mapping.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info