I just quit my job to rebecome a farmer

Unless you inherited a section of land it's not worth it. I know many farmers and even inheriting 360 acres barley get by. You're competing with corp farm and $2-10 a day third world. Then again it's a lifestyle. Cleaner air, no neighbors, etc. It's kinda like a teacher is a lifestyle if you only want to work half a year with less pay thats a good job. My mom is a teacher. I make more than her at 22. But I'm a slave. Literally 6am to 7-8 pm no vacation. She's on a round the world cruise with my dad this summer.

BTW you know how most farmer get rich right? Selling their land if lucky enough to have a freeway going through it or city nearby for real estate.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 2, 2018, 3:49:51 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Unless you inherited a section of land it's not worth it. I know many farmers and even inheriting 360 acres barley get by. You're competing with corp farm and $2-10 a day third world. Then again it's a lifestyle. Cleaner air, no neighbors, etc. It's kinda like a teacher is a lifestyle if you only want to work half a year with less pay thats a good job. My mom is a teacher. I make more than her at 22. But I'm a slave. Literally 6am to 7-8 pm no vacation. She's on a round the world cruise with my dad this summer.

BTW you know how most farmer get rich right? Selling their land if lucky enough to have a freeway going through it or city nearby for real estate.

360 acres is kind of a tiny farm you need at least a 1000 to be a real farm anything else is a hobby farm round here
I dont see any any key!
You’re talking about big ag. Those aren’t farms, they’re internationally owned factories funded almost exclusively by your tax dollars.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Aug 2, 2018, 5:56:28 PM
That's awesome! I hope the best of luck to you in the future
anything is everything
"
CanHasPants wrote:
You’re talking about big ag. Those aren’t farms, they’re internationally owned factories funded almost exclusively by your tax dollars.
Is there any legitimate reason for the Department of Agriculture to exist?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 2, 2018, 8:26:04 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Is there any legitimate reason for the Department of Agriculture to exist?

It might be useful to have a special branch of government which represents the interests of agriculture against competing interests, such as banking or railroads. I imagine it having something to do with getting farmers organized and in line, around the time of the civil war. Nowadays, they could be useful if they adhered to their mission statement, but “based on sound science” is more like “based on lobby money and Monsanto’s internal studies.”

I think mostly they just tax everybody, throw a mountain of money into corn, soy, and livestock, and then try to convince everybody to keep cramming more corn anyplace that’ll fit it.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Aug 2, 2018, 10:32:07 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:

well even the family farms here in WI are at least 500 acres, you just need volume to make it, crop prices are just too low.

When I think big ag I think of those companies that have 10,000 or more acres
I dont see any any key!
What would have been the end of the work week is now over, and so too is my mini vacation. My first two goals are schedule and diet.

I’ve been on a schedule of 1pm to 5am for the past three years, and I intend to transition to roughly 4am to 10pm. I’d like to wake up particularly early because I am accustomed to living some amount of my life in the dead serenity of late night / early morning, and I like it. I imagine I’ll like it even more at the beginning of my day than at the end. Loss of two hours of sleep will have noticeable consequences, but having the freedom to work at my own pace plus a proper diet should overcome that completely with some practice.

The diet thing is an obstacle, though. I decided to cut 100% of added sugar out of my diet, and I have eaten one meal in the past 48 hours. It’s not like I’m going to starve though. I just need to figure meal prepping into my routine. I’ve been having a glass of this meal supplement in the morning, and I have plenty of fat stores to go through while I figure it out.
Devolving Wilds
Land
"
Rexeos wrote:

Gonna have to second this. If you're in one of those states where you can get a license to grow medicinal herbs, it's probably the most profitable crop to grow on a smaller parcel of land.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info