What's up with betas in the Metal community?

"
Not sure if OP understands what "beta" entails.

By definition, the vast majority of males can be categorized as "beta". That's kind of the whole point in and of itself. We can't all be rockstars. That's why rockstars get to do rockstar stuff... there's something special about them, so we give a little leeway when they get drunk and kill someone in an auto accident.

Hell, even amongst rockstars there are betas. Ever notice how a lot of bands have one or two creative leads? The rest are just there for support, and let's face it, life is easier when you have a little help from your friends.

Nothing wrong with being a beta. Nothing right about it, neither.

How dare you come in here with your reasonable talk. Uff!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
See? You can do it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I am far, far more romantic and hopeful than you there. I think most collectives of people are almost inherently stupid and bring out the worst in everyone eventually, but I've met very few individually useless or obnoxious persons. I try to give everyone a chance because, y'know, do unto others and all that. The really interesting thing to me, Ted, is that a lot of people part of stupid collectives resist personal, individual contact. It's almost as if they're afraid of being caught out of the crowd, like a gazelle isolated on the savanna. The number of times I've been able to end a bullshit exchange on the internet with, 'let's discuss this privately then' are beyond the counting now.

Yes, groups can bring out some crappy behaviours in the best of us.

You have lived a blessed life! I can assure you that more than a very few people's hideous natures shine when one on one, and only then. Many time, groups keep them in check, under the radar, absorbed, occupied. On the whole, I think groups are worse, but still, there are lots of assholes all on their own.

"
Charan wrote:
But when I think about PoE and the sorts of people a self-professed hardcore ARPG with a super heavy focus on mathematical obsession and individual gains at the cost of others would attract, it's almost a miracle I've found even one person here I like and can get along with...and completely unsurprising I've found dozens I don't and can't.

LMAO. Maybe it's like an alter-ego thing for some of us. In the real world, well, you know enough to know I'm not risk assessing for Bayer and McDonald's. When I'm gaming, give me some cold hard code and a monster to slash up for loot and fuck off talking too much while I'm doing it, mate.

Hangon, a music thread and I'm missing the point and mentions of a particular band to boot! What.

So, I've always loved this -- Is this metal?

Last edited by erdelyii on Aug 7, 2018, 5:41:40 PM
Haha good answer. The acoustic is metal. Excellent.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Agreed, but I'd still love to hear Terror Train or Crimson King live. I have to admit, other than The Glorious Burden, I have no real love for Iced Earth. They're sort of the Megadeth to Blind Guardian's Metallica, if you get my drift.

Alchemist were great, one of the truly great Aussie metal bands. Right now we have Be'lakor and Ne Obliviscaris to offer the world, and neither are bad at all. Happy to see them when they perform at a not insane-we-flew-all-the-way-from-Europe price.

I am far, far more romantic and hopeful than you there. I think most collectives of people are almost inherently stupid and bring out the worst in everyone eventually, but I've met very few individually useless or obnoxious persons. I try to give everyone a chance because, y'know, do unto others and all that. The really interesting thing to me, Ted, is that a lot of people part of stupid collectives resist personal, individual contact. It's almost as if they're afraid of being caught out of the crowd, like a gazelle isolated on the savanna. The number of times I've been able to end a bullshit exchange on the internet with, 'let's discuss this privately then' are beyond the counting now.

OTOH when an individual does prove themselves incompatible with my personality, I drop all private and often all direct contact altogether. It just seems a waste. This doesn't happen much IRL because, well, we're rarely forced to spend social time with strangers or people from completely different backgrounds there. Online, though, all we have is this game and its forum in common. Beyond that, you're looking at a bunch of people who very, very likely wouldn't get along if thrown into the same room for any significant period of time. This is unnatural interaction based on flimsy connections, but that doesn't mean it's always bad or doomed. Obviously not.

But when I think about PoE and the sorts of people a self-professed hardcore ARPG with a super heavy focus on mathematical obsession and individual gains at the cost of others would attract, it's almost a miracle I've found even one person here I like and can get along with...and completely unsurprising I've found dozens I don't and can't.

I hope you mean pre-Load Metallica (I have mixed feelings about the Black album, but it is still ostensibly heavy metal). I like power metal, but not enough to have nuanced discussions about it. The lure of black metal fusions and avant-garde bands was too much. Be'lakor didn't really click with me, but I keep meaning to pick up Ne Obliviscaris as the few songs I have heard were really good.

I agree with you that very few people are individually useless or obnoxious. Within a very narrow scope, most people can be insightful and interesting; just don't leave that very narrow scope. It is like listening to limp bizkit: if you are in the right mood they are entertaining, otherwise they are vapid and shallow. I probably expect more out of people than I should.

@erdelyii

Theoretically, this is acoustic black metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzeSWEcZ8HE

at least it is the same band that put out this gem of earbleeding cacophony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3WdtS4FZck

Last edited by FarmerTed on Aug 7, 2018, 7:49:59 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
so i choose to believe theres a typo in the titles. Disrupted meant to say beats.

Blast beats.

Now it makes sense.

That sounds a lot more plausible really.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
prog wise give me pain of salvation's BE, DT's Scenes or Six Degrees, and anything Ayreon. I was raised on rock operas like Tommy and JCS so Im a sucker for these concept albums with clear lyrics and diverse genre hopping.

Have you heard of Arena? You might like it. They make some neat tunes. Not super genre-hoppy like Ayreon, but very strong in their chosen field, if you ask me.
(never missing a chance to mention Arena)
(and is that 'Ayreon', or 'Arjen'? :P )
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 8, 2018, 5:59:39 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Arena I will check out, with a caveat. Dont like Avantasia at all...

They're very different styles of music so that ought to be fine, especially if you go to albums such as The Visitor and Immortal. They started out as classic prog going into neo/modern prog, as opposed to prog metal.
"
FarmerTed wrote:

@erdelyii

Theoretically, this is acoustic black metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzeSWEcZ8HE

at least it is the same band that put out this gem of earbleeding cacophony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3WdtS4FZck

The first link is lovely. I bookmarked that for later listening. The second... yeah not pleasing to my ear. I think it's about melody and layers, or something.

I was asking a leading question with the acoustic, guys. Metal is about the soul of it, really, isn't it?

Still,

"
Charan wrote:
BG are probably a step beyond with their full orchestral backing but metal is so, so much more than screaming and volume set to 11 speakers...

You say it like that's a bad thing.

Also, Stonehenge.

Last edited by erdelyii on Aug 8, 2018, 7:05:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info