What's up with betas in the Metal community?

Let's all build a world where we are too afraid to make generalizations because we might offend someone.

Touchy touchy y'all!

You know when i was younger i used to be so afraid of generalizing people to the point where one day it turned out to be a problem for my life - that is when i began to accept there is great power in being able to generalize, in enables you to act in the world much better - as long as you never carry it so far that you forget to see who you are dealing with in your presumptions of who they are before you ever have a chance to learn it.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 31, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
You know when i was younger i used to be so afraid of generalizing people to the point where one day it turned out to be a problem for my life - that is when i began to accept there is great power in being able to generalize, in enables you to act in the world much better - as long as you never carry it so far that you forget to see who you are dealing with in your presumptions of who they are before you ever have a chance to learn it.
It's a simple matter of sample size. When rolling a single six-sided die, it's unwise to have relative certainty about any particular outcome. When rolling a million six-sided dice, the total is ~3.5 million. Same basic priciple applies regarding individuals vs large groups of people.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 31, 2018, 1:37:04 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:

People who talk about beta and alpha are usually tryharding to be alpha themselves, but they forego what it means to become a real man in the process and think it's all sex. In other words, a wannabe man that thinks hes the big man, but i lost in the most superficial things of life.

Kinda agree, there's a lot of "beta chads" IRL, the beta chad is the type who needs to exert his power over others, deep down he is terribly insecure and must bully that nerd in order to combat his homolust/signal to women or other beta chads/feel that he is better than others.
The true alpha chad is just a bro to everyone.
Oblivious
"
Disrupted wrote:
there's a lot of "beta chads" IRL
For quite some time I've been flirting with this idea of taking the virgin/chad meme template and making one contrasting "the virgin Chad" with "the Chad virgin" but I'm not really all that into celibacy as a traditional Christian value so I never got around to it. Also MGTOW memes and terminology make me kinda nauseous, so the only reason I'd even do such a thing is to troll the fuck out of their pathetic ideology and point out how embarassingly nihilistic it is to be so preoccupied by sexual market value outside of the context of desiring the best co-parent to raise your children with.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 31, 2018, 4:22:56 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
It's a simple matter of sample size. When rolling a single six-sided die, it's unwise to have relative certainty about any particular outcome. When rolling a million six-sided dice, the total is ~3.5 million. Same basic priciple applies regarding individuals vs large groups of people.

Sometimes i can't figure out if i am not understanding what you are saying, or if you actually make no sense.

Forgive my rudeness but - let me take above as an example. I am very literal so i read very much exactly what you say and only when i cannot make sense of it or feel something more is being said do i try to figure out if i am missing the bigger picture.

What this looks like to me is you saying - it's unwise to pretend you know the outcome of a completely random roll. That is absolutely true, since it is actually random.

But people aren't random, that's the secret. They make perfect sense. The more you observe and talk to people, the more things you see in life - the better you start to connect the patterns of behaviour, psychological drives etc. So that makes the dice comparison.. irrelevant? Because that is true random while people are not or even close. Am i missing something??
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
people aren't random, that's the secret. They make perfect sense. The more you observe and talk to people, the more things you see in life - the better you start to connect the patterns of behaviour, psychological drives etc. So that makes the dice comparison.. irrelevant? Because that is true random while people are not or even close. Am i missing something??
What you're probably doing is thinking straight through to a second conclusion while skipping past the "midway" conclusion.

The midway conclusion is: groups have an identifying trait or traits (ex: Christians have certain beliefs, without those beliefs they're not Christians), but other traits have (ex: income, intelligence) that have a mean and a variance; as sample size increases, the impact of variance decreases and sample mean approaches overall mean.

The conclusion you seem to be going for is: if you know many different groups that a particular individual is a member of, you can use the averages and variances of each group to more accurately surmise traits about the individual; after a certain large amount of group memberships is known the process reaches a kind of critical mass and rarely errs. (Basically the Sherlock Holmes method of deduction.)

I didn't infer this latter conclusion from your earlier comment, but it relies upon, if not necessarily a conscious understanding of the midway conclusion, at least an understanding of some sort of probability distributions as applied to people.
The OP has to be trolling, but assuming you're serious, the fact that you hang out in PoE forums and probably play the game makes you a BETA in itself LMAO

Jokes aside tho, you're acting as if hiphop communities don't have any betas too, some people love to act tough but they're actually BETA as fuck and are nothing game changing to society whatsoever, such as this fail thread.

And assuming that the OP isn't trolling? THIS [Removed by Support] just made an example of himself, lack of critical thinking and simple mindedness? That's a sign of being a beta as well.
Last edited by CJ_GGG on Jul 31, 2018, 9:43:41 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
There are a few metalheads on here, myself and FCK42 being probably the most prolific posters, and I can guarantee we're nothing like what Disrupted has suggested.

There's a very easy way to tell if someone is a metalhead - hang out at their house when they crank up the music. Other than a shared musical taste, and sometimes a concert T-shirt, they aren't all that different from anyone else. They run the gamut from success to struggling, from fashionable to couch potato casual just like the rest of us.

Growing up I never really appreciated the musical genre, but over time I've re-listened to it and learned there's a lot of it that is really good stuff.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I don't think Disrupted is trolling. He's just trying to validate how he feels by sharing it with people he can be fairly sure will agree, his old pals in PoEOT. And when a real metalhead tries to tell them, uh, no, it's not really like this, they just plug their ears and go on about their safe misconceptions.

You've stumbled into a circlejerk, I'm afraid.
Wait, what circlejerk? Where? The only person who seems to be agreeing with Disrupted to any significant extent is Crackmoster, and he had his criticisms as well. I could get down with the concept of attempted circlejerk, but it kinda backfired.

Is two people agreeing about "wrongthink" on the internet a raidable circlejerk these days?

You shouldn't confuse criticism of what you say for agreement with those who you criticize. Why the fuck did I remove your quote from my signature again?
"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's sort of sad because these...people are applying very unpleasant, forceful social concepts with which they are familiar and comfortable (beta, incel, cuck, etc) to an archetype that is, by and large, just in it to listen to music they like, drink with mates, bond with strangers in a non-invasive way and roar together like idiots. If you're at a metal gig to pick up you're going to be sorely, sorely disappointed -- you'll see plenty of couples now and lots of groups of friends, and that's about it. Hell, if you're there for anything other than the music and the raw communal energy, you're not going to have a good time, period...

Beta, alpha, omega...who cares? Throw up your fuckin' horns! \m/
Guess what?
Spoiler
I agree with this.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 1, 2018, 12:56:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info