What's up with betas in the Metal community?

I dont think any music genre attracts as many betas as Metal. What's up with that?
I mean, moody attention whoring teenagers in scene and emo community are just a given.
Teenage girls are sure to like boybands and pop and whatnot.
Jazz is sure to attract older people seeking relaxation and obnoxious hipsters
Idolstuff is sure to attract creepers, betas and dark fantasy manga authors but that is to be expected.

All of those are pretty much self-explanatory but metal seems to get way more betas than it perhaps should? Im not sure, Im not too much into music but I do notice a lot of cringe machines blatant beta males in the metal communities. Complete incel-heart-autists, not all, but a LOT.

So what's the explanation? I expect the manchild to see himself in a man talk- oh sorry, """SINGING""" with a cavernous voice like he's a 7 year old pretending to be a monster, but I know there's more than one type of metal so that cant explain it all.
It seems that for every cool hardcore dude there are 35 times more pic related

Spoiler
-except some are old enough and their mother lets them, but they are just lacking in self-awareness and are quite the embarrassment to behold as their idea of themselves quite differs from reality-

and about 4 biker dudes having a midlife crisis or pretending they can lie to themselves and keep going forever, but the tires are spent and their head reflects more than their bike's mirrors. oh and about 0.0032% potential murderers.
What gives?
genuine question.

This is a social question thread, not hating on music. If I hated music I would listen to rap or dubstep, not make a thread in the forums.
EDIT: adjusted numbers.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Jul 30, 2018, 11:38:41 AM
Last bumped on Nov 1, 2018, 10:40:54 PM
If you look for something hard enough, you will see it everywhere. Betas are everywhere.

Now if you wanted to spice things up, we should have data on betas in all kinds of music on a sufficiently big N of participants in a test. Then we could pull conclusions about those people who listen to metal. Otherwise you can't get far from argument on personal experience.

Most metal listening guys I know are totally antibeta. Not alpha, but just wild and fun with moderate success with girls/women.

Type of music you listen to doesn't define if you will be alpha/beta, there are many many more factors which will affect persons outlook on life and behavioral patterns.

We could also say, IT jobs attract many betas. But do we have proof of that? Or only anecdotal evidence which isn't sufficient and some TV shows that portray them as such in most cases which also affects public outlook.

Anyway , my point was, I'd never connect music to other persons "properties" so to say. Unless metal is way of life for that person.

Edit, there is one thing i should add after thinking a little. In my area, if i illustrate proportions of males listening to metal and females, the ratio would be 90-95% males and 5-10% females. Lets say a person listening metal wants to relate to another person that likes metal of opposing gender. This would anecdotally mean that metalheads have less access to girls of their preffered type. Which could equal to less experience with girls overall.
Other kinds of music attract way more balanced ratios of male/female listeners.

From scientific articles :

Spoiler
Lighter mainstream music tends to have lyrics that
focus on emotions and relationships with others, which are concerns of
young women; while heavy music is associated with aggression, dominance,
and rebellion, which relate to the concerns of young men. Heavy metal and
heavy rock music have particularly masculine connotations and have been
linked to both antisocial behavior and physical aggression (Rubin, West, &
Mitchell, 2001), and Hansen and Hansen (1991) found higher levels of
Machiavellianism and machismo among students who expressed a liking for
these styles of music

Spoiler

I could find more but I have enough to deal with articles on my own field atm
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Jul 30, 2018, 2:11:33 AM
Don t be a beta and tell that on a forum, go really tell the hells angels they have mid life crisis.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Jul 30, 2018, 6:41:42 AM
"
Head_Less wrote:
Go tell the hells angels they have mid life crisis. Actually if you don t, you are the one being a beta, without the guts to go tell those people full frontal what you really think of them.
This is terrible advice. Don't talk to a Hell's Angel if you can avoid it; there's a decent chance they'll be drunk or high, misinterpret you, and try to murder you in the parking lot. And that's if you're not deliberately insulting them.

Also, countering the non-evidence of apocryphal anecdotes with your own apocryphal anecdotes is a waste of time. Scientific studies or GTFO.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 30, 2018, 6:49:49 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This is terrible advice.

The rolling stones should maybe have listened to you .
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
"
Necromael wrote:
If you look for something hard enough, you will see it everywhere. Betas are everywhere.

Now if you wanted to spice things up, we should have data on betas in all kinds of music on a sufficiently big N of participants in a test. Then we could pull conclusions about those people who listen to metal. Otherwise you can't get far from argument on personal experience.

Most metal listening guys I know are totally antibeta. Not alpha, but just wild and fun with moderate success with girls/women.

Type of music you listen to doesn't define if you will be alpha/beta, there are many many more factors which will affect persons outlook on life and behavioral patterns.

We could also say, IT jobs attract many betas. But do we have proof of that? Or only anecdotal evidence which isn't sufficient and some TV shows that portray them as such in most cases which also affects public outlook.

Anyway , my point was, I'd never connect music to other persons "properties" so to say. Unless metal is way of life for that person.

Edit, there is one thing i should add after thinking a little. In my area, if i illustrate proportions of males listening to metal and females, the ratio would be 90-95% males and 5-10% females. Lets say a person listening metal wants to relate to another person that likes metal of opposing gender. This would anecdotally mean that metalheads have less access to girls of their preffered type. Which could equal to less experience with girls overall.
Other kinds of music attract way more balanced ratios of male/female listeners.

From scientific articles :

Spoiler
Lighter mainstream music tends to have lyrics that
focus on emotions and relationships with others, which are concerns of
young women; while heavy music is associated with aggression, dominance,
and rebellion, which relate to the concerns of young men. Heavy metal and
heavy rock music have particularly masculine connotations and have been
linked to both antisocial behavior and physical aggression (Rubin, West, &
Mitchell, 2001), and Hansen and Hansen (1991) found higher levels of
Machiavellianism and machismo among students who expressed a liking for
these styles of music

Spoiler

I could find more but I have enough to deal with articles on my own field atm

This is more of what I wanted, btw where did you get that info?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
confused. what do you mean by beta? you say incel but last i checked beta mostly meant nice guys who never get any.

please clarify. my main experience with metalheads is a mix of super friendly party types just happy to be at a gig with their fellow metalheads, and obnoxious drunk fucks thrashing about well away from the designated pit.

Im with Necro. This looks like confirmation bias.

incels never stop being incels in mentally even when they finally get laid. They just believe they cease to be when they get lucky but the way of acting tends to not change. Incel and beta mentality is typically one and the same (though maybe you can divide most of them into white knights and misogynists as the sides of the group that stand out the most) and I'd say "nice guy" rather than nice guy, but that ofc depends. In that way loads of metalheads are the same, they THINK they are hardcore but they really arent. Ofc hope everybody enjoys themselves

"
Head_Less wrote:
Don t be a beta and tell that on a forum, go really tell the hells angels they have mid life crisis.

I sorta of known one (barely, friend of a friend, only talked to a few times) and I've joked around that way before. I wouldnt do that joke with every one of them though. Cause like most gangs, its full of fruits who get touchy-touchy too easily due to deep down being little bitches (reason why they need to be in a group to face others). I mean, if I wanted a fight I would. But even betas I let them be, im not out to ruin their day with a mirror. experience tells me these people hate that, and well, its their life, their choices, as long as they are not hurting anyone, who cares really?
Spoiler
also I'd rather not wrassle with bikers, I do not enjoy the smell

fuck, long quotes in this forum just reminds me why I barely write here. MINE EYES
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Jul 30, 2018, 4:12:21 PM
Ah, I see. This is one of those clever self-parody threads, right?

Cool.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
Maybe it has to do with the associated lifestyle - bummy, lower hygiene, hair just hanging as it is, screaming/inhibition, lack of manners(not from being rude but being slightly out of touch with social conventions). Maybe you get the picture. That kinda thing only carries well on the fewest of people with the most charisma, but it attracts many who don't give a fuck too much themselves and the rockstars makes it acceptable to be who they are. Just a guess.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 30, 2018, 5:58:03 PM
Well, sorry if you feel it's cliche but its absolutely true of a large subset of the metalheads. Doesn't mean i give a shit personally, several of my older friends loves metal as well. But if you look at early years - school etc, and the types, you often find these people and the girls stay good distance from them but then later in life when they gain more confidence their don't give a fuck mode attracts it's own type of woman. Why is the world so you gotta hide the truth coz people get upset?

But forum went down yesterday just when i wanted to post:

People who talk about beta and alpha are usually tryharding to be alpha themselves, but they forego what it means to become a real man in the process and think it's all sex. In other words, a wannabe man that thinks hes the big man, but i lost in the most superficial things of life.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Well, sorry if you feel it's cliche but its absolutely true of a large subset of the metalheads. Doesn't mean i give a shit personally, several of my older friends loves metal as well. But if you look at early years - school etc, and the types, you often find these people and the girls stay good distance from them but then later in life when they gain more confidence their don't give a fuck mode attracts it's own type of woman. Why is the world so you gotta hide the truth coz people get upset?

But forum went down yesterday just when i wanted to post:

People who talk about beta and alpha are usually tryharding to be alpha themselves, but they forego what it means to become a real man in the process and think it's all sex. In other words, a wannabe man that thinks hes the big man, but i lost in the most superficial things of life.
ah, everyone's favourite Card Against Humanity. Statistically validated stereotypes.

And you doubled down with the Some Of My Best Friends argument...
Remember lads, lassies and nonbinary folk: if a particular value judgment doesn't apply to every last member of a particular demographic, then that observation is bigoted and therefore inherently invalid. Equality of intragroup merit is metaphysically axiomatic.

When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info