Finally Did it!....And, no, I don't play the game normally.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I played D2 with a similar structure. I don't think ignoring the skill tree is a good one though... that's one of the more interesting aspects of the game. May I recommend replacing it with "must take spot closest to the starting before going on to any other spot." rather than not taking anything.

Come on my fellow old man - it's for the challenge! :-) And none of my 'rules' are good ones, just wanted to see if I could do it! I like slow play.
"
Since you mentioned Oni-Goroshi (Charans's Sword)

As a proud owner of 8 Onis, I can clearly say 2 things : Thank you Charan for making it and it totally changes how I play under my rules. I have a lvl 35 witch in SSFHC that uses one!

And, again, my record was lvl 40 witch (no Oni) made during Talismen who got really, really lucky RNG....deleted by accident.
"
ChzBoi wrote:
a proud owner of 8 Onis

Mother of gawsh, that is some real devotion right there.

I may very well end up grinding that many over my game lifetime (next year? 2 years? 10 years? 1 week?) just because I like how chill-mode farming Twilight Strand is. But the thought of already having 8 at this point in time - it's a bit staggering to the mind.

Do you happen to know how many of the 8 were farmed before the drop nerf, and how many after?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Do you happen to know how many of the 8 were farmed before the drop nerf, and how many after?

4 before, 4 after. Did 1 for each class, and repeated a Scion. It's not so bad if you're watching football at the same time!
Nice post. Few and far between on here.

Congrats on the personal goal, all sounds quite entertaining.

(Except the no talent tree, that one sounds a bit silly(?))
But whatever makes it fun for you is cool~
Last edited by Chalace2 on Jul 16, 2018, 1:24:45 PM
Kudos to you for finding a playstyle that fits your schedule and still keep it challenging enough to give you the sense of achievement. Having fun and feel like you achieve things in the process is why we play computer games in the first place.

Wish more people thought like this before they complain about game being too easy. Noone prevents you from making the game more challenging :)

GG
"
Noone prevents you from making the game more challenging :)

Yeppers! (Even if I am crazy for trying!)

Wonder if I can get the devs to cater to MY play style?? HA! :-p
"
adghar wrote:
"
ChzBoi wrote:
a proud owner of 8 Onis

Mother of gawsh, that is some real devotion right there.

I may very well end up grinding that many over my game lifetime (next year? 2 years? 10 years? 1 week?) just because I like how chill-mode farming Twilight Strand is. But the thought of already having 8 at this point in time - it's a bit staggering to the mind.

I can say "ain't no thing" as I have 9 Onis: 5 before the nerf, 3 after the nerf in Bestiary (with 2 level 9 and 1 level 8.8) and now the Incursion Oni last Saturday (super lucky low 7.78 level). I even lost one because PoE crashed before I could pick it up (super teeth nashing moment... good thing no one was within hearing range when that happened).

Can easily be done, just need time and the right mindset (usually with a little bit...err...a lot of insanity). And I still have 3 level 8 farmers left so my beach combing/farming days aren't over yet. :)

Edit: Being a two time member of The Twilight Strand Level 9 Beach Club is some serious insane shit going on to continue the grind for uber Hillock that long. But starting in closed beta and surviving PoE: The Desync Years has done something to my brain so the addiction to grinding is real.  :)

GGG needs to have a serious reward for a level 100 build because that mountain of maps grind from 90 to 100 is not worth the time to me.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 16, 2018, 3:25:20 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
But I have a follow-up question regarding your most important rule. Why? I get the checkpoints ideas, the self-found stuff, the tab rules...but what exactly do you mean by 'ignoring the Skilldrasil'? As in, you don't allocate points at all, or you don't plan ahead? Because if the former, that seems a strangely counter intuitive handicap given the Skilldrasil represents a natural development of character as they level.

It's the foundation for what you can equip, and how effectively you use what you equip.

I also used to play with a range of odd self-handicaps, but it would never occur to me to completely ignore the Skilldrasil.

Zero point characters can be fun. As you mention the lack of skill tree stats severely limits your gear choices. Unlike D2, where zero points also meant zero skills, at least PoE gives you skill gems to work with. Here too, as the gem stat requirements increase, the character requires gear with stats to keep progressing.

It can be a lot of fun. I have to give OP extra credit for doing it with limited stash space. "Nekkid" characters ("Jewelry" and weapons only)can be an interesting challenge, as well.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
You're fucking insane and I love it.

Yes, I probably am a bit....and thanks!

In regards to your questions - first a brief backstory. I come from the land of FPS. (Team Fortress/Half-Life, etc) Only ever played 1 MMORPG (City of Heroes). When that game ended, I briefly tried 2 other game genres : world building and strategy. Neither worked for me. One night I saw POE and gave it shot - I've never played D1/D2/D3 or it's ilk and had no idea what to expect.

So, I started my 'rules-o-play' as a way to force myself to learn what was important, in terms of gear/mods/currency/etc. I was just going to do it for each class, for a short time, maybe a month. But then as I got farther along, I just wanted to see what the limit could be. And of course, my silly rules expanded.

A few my rules were a direct result from "wise words" on the forums, including my 'no skill tree'. I once read person A's comments on person B's character : "Your skill tree is crap. Only an idiot would pick like that. Your character would be better off without any skills! What an idiot."....and I thought - that sounds like me! :-)

And of course comments about how you "need" a certain piece of gear to play or trading is "required" or that the game "starts at mapping". I will never see certain pieces of gear, I will never trade for them, and I will never see maps - and yet, I enjoy the game in my own way.

Just glad POE allows me to do this : first time I played with my rules I had no idea if the gems would work if not leveled, if gear would go bad, if mob damage was exponential, etc.

Again, lots of my success/failure in this is due to RNG luck. I keep notes. (of course I do! OCD!!) I've had characters go all the way to Tidal Island without getting a wisdom scroll to drop. (good old Hailrake for the win!) I've had characters get 8 Orbs of Alchemy before Mud Flats. I work in an industry that uses RNGs, so I am quite aware of their 'streaky' nature. Just, sometimes, it's harsh!

"
"Nekkid" characters ("Jewelry" and weapons only)can be an interesting challenge, as well.
I've thought about that as well! Pretty sure, the way I play and using my rules, if I added that restriction - don't think I could get out of Act 2.....might not make it out of Act 1!....hmmm Ya got me thinking now! :-p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info