Death Penalty...

This is supposed to be a serious, difficult game.
Players are used to being coddled.
But Path of Exile is supposed to be hard.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Actually, I think you aren't going far enough. Upon character death, instead of removing a level, you should simply remove the character from the league altogether.
[/sarcasm]

I don't get the need of making the game more of a bitch for non-hardcore players. Many players in softcore are there because they don't want to have the game shit on them for random mistakes, and would be much more happy with the penalty being lowered than made bigger.
I think the best thing that could happen, for many of us, is the separation of the softcore leagues in two separate leagues: "easy" league, without the penalty mechanic (or a reworked one that doesn't become a shitfest at high levels), and "intermediate" league, with whatever penalty almost-hardcore players want.
Hey, you could even call the "easy" league "carebear league", and I'd still choose it over yours.
"
Actually, I think you aren't going far enough. Upon character death, instead of removing a level, you should simply remove the character from the league altogether.
[/sarcasm]

I don't get the need of making the game more of a bitch for non-hardcore players. Many players in softcore are there because they don't want to have the game shit on them for random mistakes, and would be much more happy with the penalty being lowered than made bigger.

If you don't get it, maybe I can help you: the game is supposed to be hard.
- Too often, people get to a level, and sit at the bottom of the EXP bar, using lemming-like strategies to brute force their way through content.

"
I think the best thing that could happen, for many of us, is the separation of the softcore leagues in two separate leagues: "easy" league, without the penalty mechanic (or a reworked one that doesn't become a shitfest at high levels), and "intermediate" league, with whatever penalty almost-hardcore players want.
Hey, you could even call the "easy" league "carebear league", and I'd still choose it over yours.

I've heard talk of this before...
"
bwam wrote:

If you don't get it, maybe I can help you: the game is supposed to be hard.
- Too often, people get to a level, and sit at the bottom of the EXP bar, using lemming-like strategies to brute force their way through content.

I fail to see how this is your problem. If someone else wants to play that way let them, I couldn't give a toss.

Besides the fact that poe gives poor options for defence. The whole stack life thing is boring honestly.
"
Miská wrote:
I fail to see how this is your problem. If someone else wants to play that way let them, I couldn't give a toss.

Besides the fact that poe gives poor options for defence. The whole stack life thing is boring honestly.

How is it my problem? Here's how... Currently, there are two options: Play SC or play HC. If you choose HC, any RIP means starting fresh. Which really doesn't appeal to me; I don't need to spend that kind of time.

The other option is SC. Sure, dying can prevent you from leveling... but it has no sting once your EXP bar is out, does it?

So you're stuck with two options: a SC option, where death too often seems meaningless, and the game is pretty easy to cheese; or a HC option, where you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time/care to get full enjoyment out of it.
"
bwam wrote:
How is it my problem? Here's how... Currently, there are two options: Play SC or play HC. If you choose HC, any RIP means starting fresh. Which really doesn't appeal to me; I don't need to spend that kind of time.(...)

So, basically, you want to remove the ability to play softcore so that you can have an almost-hardcore, because hardcore is too hardcore for you, and players that want to play softcore because hardcore is too hardcore for them can just get the axe?
"
"
bwam wrote:
How is it my problem? Here's how... Currently, there are two options: Play SC or play HC. If you choose HC, any RIP means starting fresh. Which really doesn't appeal to me; I don't need to spend that kind of time.(...)

So, basically, you want to remove the ability to play softcore so that you can have an almost-hardcore, because hardcore is too hardcore for you, and players that want to play softcore because hardcore is too hardcore for them can just get the axe?

No...?
I just want people to be able to de-level when they die?
"
bwam wrote:
No...?

Is it really "to be able to", or is it non-optional?
What about level 100 characters? Do they de-level at any death happening to them?
"
"
bwam wrote:
No...?

Is it really "to be able to", or is it non-optional?
What about level 100 characters? Do they de-level at any death happening to them?

1. Well, if you have a 9/10 of your bar full, I wouldn't expect you to de-level from dying. (Thus the "be able to.")

2. I've never hit 100, but does EXP stop counting once you do? If so, then yeah, I guess you would de-level.
In Dark Souls if you die with no souls you experience no penalty. Easy trashy casual game i guess. I bet if something like this was implemented, HE would hate it as much as everybody else. For me (and possibly many others), the most fun part of the game is actually if I AM NOT trying to level.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info