Is "90% ailment avoidance" justified?

90% ailment avoid is justified, but in current state of the game there is no doubt it IS unfair.

It's the other 'strong' mods that are too tame. Reflection should be a lot stronger to force trap/mine/totem/minion builds. No leech shouldn't be limited to red map.
I usually make my buils to max fail in 2 map mods. If you are failing 3+ you are gonna waste a lot of currency rerolling. That's the reason occultist used to be shit before they added the hexproof pierce.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
I would personally put this map mod on the same level as the 40% resistance modifiers. On 90% avoidance I can still reliably inflict ailments on enemies because my ailment-reliant builds either proliferate (so 1 monster in a pack of 20 is all you need to benefit from ailments on all 20 enemies) or they hit reasonably quickly (Oni-Goroshi has a decent attack speed, and Blade Flurry is stupidly OP for single target anyways / same 1 in 20 all that's needed condition). It just takes about 15% to 50% longer, luck depending.

So, so far so good, looks completely fair in my experience.

For one of those classic (nowadays hipster) Flameblast ignite builds, it seems like you would get similar results with a Combustion Support + Ignite Prolif support, once again putting it on about the same level as 40% resist map mods (practically guaranteed ignites, but you probably sub in weaker Supoort(s) for a bigger damaging Supporrt gem or 2).

Although not sure if the average person even considers doing gem swaps.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jun 17, 2018, 1:35:52 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
That is exactly the purpose of map mods. If you pigeonhole your build too much into doing only one thing, you will be able to do that one thing extremely well - but if that one thing gets disabled, you will not be able to run the map. You trade efficiency for versatility. Builds which can run every single map mod in game with no slowdown are rare, and never as efficient as specialized builds. This is by design.

In my exp playing alot of different builds ALL builds even Totem, Summoner, Traps, Melee, Bow, You name it they ALL have atleast ONE problem if not outright prohibiting map mod. No Regen, Reflect, No Leech, and 60% Recovery Mods each effect a whole line of builds. Then you have Combinations of some of the others like -Max Res+Added Element or Vuln+Ele Weak+flask mod that effect all RF builds and are insanely dangerous for a lot if not most builds unless they build around a lot of these mods.

The whole point to me seemed to be you would try and limit how many mods are a no go to save currency on rerolling.. Because rerolling maps is just part of mapping. And when you corrupt a map you cant run? Someone has a build out there that can run it so just sell it and buy another with the currency. Or make another character that can run the mods your main/first character can not. That works well too.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jun 17, 2018, 2:06:09 PM
The coolest combination I have seen was no life and mana leech + no life and mana regen... still managed to do it.

I personally think that build disabling map mods shouldn't really be there, and that this particular one is overtuned a bit. But then again, what do you do if you are a VP build and you get a no leech map? Running with life flasks only feels terrible and is very unsafe. And if you are an RF build and you get -max res + reduced recovery map? Can't do jack unless you have very powerful gear.

So yeah, building a map mod immune character is a challenge on its own.
Last edited by MECHanokl on Jun 17, 2018, 4:36:56 PM
"
MECHanokl wrote:
So yeah, building a map mod immune character is a challenge on its own.

Trappers, miners and Totemancers can run every conceivable mod combinations with little trouble. But the gameplay is seen as a hindrance for a majority of people, and they (usually) don't get leech.
I suppose summoners can too, but I never played a serious one.
"
polimeris wrote:

Trappers, miners and Totemancers can run every conceivable mod combinations with little trouble. But the gameplay is seen as a hindrance for a majority of people, and they (usually) don't get leech.
I suppose summoners can too, but I never played a serious one.

But all the builds you have mentioned get hindered a lot by no mana regen maps, unless you drop auras and heralds and use mana potions all the time which is rather annoying (well to me at least). Summoner or golemancer kind of doesn't care, but even then, since you basically don't use your support casts (curse on hit links, offerings etc.) you have to slow down as well, so this is not a perfect solution.
almost every build i've played has had a couple map mods that they could never do.
sometimes there's maps that you just have to reroll, that's part of the game.
also, you could easily swap your gems to ele hit - wed - ele focus - combustion - fire pen, and swap southbound to whatever. and now those maps are easy for you.

outside of the old perma-freeze or 50+ ignite stack builds, this mod doesn't actually make the map impossible for anyone.
"
widardd wrote:
"
crystalwitch wrote:
"
widardd wrote:
90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop.

Out of curiosity, which build are you using where the majority of your damage comes from elemental ailments?

This

Neat build. The ignite dot ignore the Southbound effect, doesn't it?

Reminds me of when my Blade Vortex character had an unidentified map with elemental reflection.

I had to swap out some equipment and support gems, (bought a couple of low level ones from an npc) and converted it to phys chaos. Dealt less damage of course, but it was still manageable.

I guess you'd have a bit harder time modifying your build:
• Swap the Burning Damage for Fire Penetration.
• Swap Ignite Proliferation for Elemental Focus.
• And I guess Deadly Ailments for LMP. With Faster Attacks or Pierce for the boss instead?

Oh, and you'd definitely want to swap Southbound for something else like Thunderfist or a decent pair of rare gloves. Gripped ones with attack speed and some elemental damage most likely.

Your clear would be slower, but it definitely seems manageable, at least whenever a map with that mod comes up which you can't reroll.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Jun 17, 2018, 8:01:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info