Is "90% ailment avoidance" justified?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making different map mods troublesome for different kinds of builds but this really feels painful.

Imagine a map mod "Enemies have 90% dodge" for attack based builds.

And it's really common, too. (not that EE or +resists are painful enough..)

Edit: Ok, everyone seems to agree in here that this is perfectly fine. Now I'm wondering why I haven't encountered a map mod as disabling as this in so many years on so many different builds. I was always able to build around map mods.

No regen? Use a Flask or leech. No leech? Add some regen or flask effectiveness to your build. Reflect? Reduce your damage. Blood magic, which doesn't exist anymore? Disable your auras. Block reduction? Overcap or go slower. Crit? Get some crit reduction. Extra dmg? Slap on the appropriate aura or get a flask.

At least from my experience there have always been solutions, but I don't see any here.
I have never been on a build that was disabled 90% of the time no matter what I do except changing my archetype (dealing damage over time).

At some point specific bosses were poison or ignite immune, no biggy, just don't use that build for that boss. But this is a map mod you cannot build around, unless I am missing something.
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Jun 16, 2018, 11:47:35 PM
Last bumped on Jun 18, 2018, 6:33:31 AM
About as justified as smothering, drought or reflect mods. We're only lacking a anti-leech mod. Now imagine the community reaction to that!
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
Mythabril wrote:
About as justified as smothering, drought or reflect mods. We're only lacking a anti-leech mod. Now imagine the community reaction to that!

I actually find it very weird that there are no leech immune mobs in PoE like there are in any other aRPG.

So you're saying 90% avoidance is alright? Reflect affects me aswell.

Shooting 10 times at a mob to finally get my damage going doesn't make me change my playstyle nor does it increase the difficulty.

It basically feels like playing without any damage, that's it.

I should maybe record a video of me being surrounded by 50 mobs holding right click waiting for the proc.

It doesn't even help that I am at 118% chance to ignite since it isn't just "less chance to apply ailments".
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Jun 16, 2018, 7:56:54 PM
there is a no leech mod ... no life and no mana leech roll together as one, only appears on red maps
There IS a leech immunity mod... it's just rare as heck and only tier 11+ afaik
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
widardd wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making different map mods troublesome for different kinds of builds but this really feels painful.

Imagine a map mod "Enemies have 90% dodge" for attack based builds.

And it's really common, too. (not that EE or +resists are painful enough..)

I think the mod was made specifically to taunt my Oro's Sacrifice Flicker Strike Slayer.
That is exactly the purpose of map mods. If you pigeonhole your build too much into doing only one thing, you will be able to do that one thing extremely well - but if that one thing gets disabled, you will not be able to run the map. You trade efficiency for versatility. Builds which can run every single map mod in game with no slowdown are rare, and never as efficient as specialized builds. This is by design.
"
Mythabril wrote:

there is an anti leech mod lol
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
That is exactly the purpose of map mods. If you pigeonhole your build too much into doing only one thing, you will be able to do that one thing extremely well - but if that one thing gets disabled, you will not be able to run the map. You trade efficiency for versatility. Builds which can run every single map mod in game with no slowdown are rare, and never as efficient as specialized builds. This is by design.

90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop. ;)

Where's the 90% dodge map mod for builds pigeonholed into dealing damage directly or non-elemental ailments?

There is this:

"
Monsters have a 65% chance to avoid Poison, Blind, and Bleeding

65% is ok, the mid tier mod for elemental ailment avoidance is 60%, it slows me down but I can deal with it.

So my question still stands, what justifies punishing builds focussing on elemental ailments way harder than any other archetype?

The picture becomes even more clear when you look at the map mods affecting player defenses, there is no "Enemies have 90% block reduction"

It's "Players have 40% reduced Block Chance". You still block and you're even able to build accordingly to still be at the cap.

None of that applies or works for "90% damage avoidance".

If this is by design then I wonder why it isn't consistent.
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Jun 16, 2018, 10:28:17 PM
It fucks up my build pretty thoroughly. I can run maps with it but I have no sustain and bad dps on them :(.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info