Is it just RNG or confirmation bias?

Been playing off and on for along time. Been playing SSF for the past few leagues/races.

I sort of feel that I get about 75% drops for another class entirely, before I see one-single-drop of my class. Every-time. If I run a Ranger for league starter, I see staves/maces/wands GALORE and I rarely (no pun intended) see a bow drop. If I got Witch, BOWS BE EVERYWHERE.

I refuse to start a league with a class I don't really want to play, just so I can get "toss away" gear to hand over to a Ranger and THEN play the build I want.

Anyone else feel this way?
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2018, 8:28:34 AM
75% is about right, if your build is focused... probably a little higher actually. I'd go as high as 95% on some classes.
confirmation bias. just think of all the times you did see bows drop. white ones magic ones lower level ones you dont want and so on. you said your self they did drop just not for the character you wanted them on.
"
Polrayne wrote:

I sort of feel that I get about 75% drops for another class entirely, before I see one-single-drop of my class. Every-time. If I run a Ranger for league starter, I see staves/maces/wands GALORE and I rarely (no pun intended) see a bow drop. If I got Witch, BOWS BE EVERYWHERE.

Maybe you should count them. I find that we humans tend to be remembering more of what annoy us than what we like. I seem to find pretty much of everything and the drops seem to be related mostly to zone and rng. Sometime I can do 50 map and only see 1 or 2 two-stone type in its rare form. IF I look at the non rare, I realize that the other kinds ended up being rolled normal or magic.

While some items seem to change, I also seem to notice boots drop/glove drops alternating on the one being less common depending on the monsters that spawned on the map.
The drop is just not targeted at all. So it drops everything. And while you play focused build it annoys with time - and with time you can get angry more and more because of that so starting to highlight opposite to relevant to your class drops..

This hows it works.

(Then got mad, then do stupid things, then become exile deported to evil, remote from all good, island..you know this shit yeeah)

Way to insanity - is to feel growing inconvenience without power to fix it by yourself ,)
What this game emulating so well ;P
Are we doing rng "aluminum foil hat" (I can't afford tin foil... it's way too expensive) discussion here?

Hmm.... Is GGG really that nasty with rng? That would be some shitty shenanigans if it could be proven. I play PoE for fun and do not keep statistics of weapon drops for different classes.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Polrayne wrote:
Been playing off and on for along time. Been playing SSF for the past few leagues/races.

I refuse to start a league with a class I don't really want to play, just so I can get "toss away" gear to hand over to a Ranger and THEN play the build I want.

Are you making the mistake of assigning 50-50 odds to the two groups:

- Stuff good for me
- Stuff not good for me

Obviously for a single build, those two groups are not going to be the same size. There will always be more stuff for the not you group.
Last edited by Qiox on Jun 17, 2018, 7:43:22 PM
as ppl have pointed out, if ur playing a build that can use less than 10% of the potential build specific unique drops like weapons, which is pretty much every specific build, then wouldnt it be strange if it didnt pan out like this? No matter what build you pick, most weapons that drop will not be relevant to you.

Rng may result in a string of the same kind of weapon dropping, its unlikely but it can happen. To get that unlikely event, and then have it also happen to be relevant to the build ur playing, that is now even less likely, thats a whole other layer of rng, unlikely x unlikely = that event. So the majority of the time you see the notable occurrence of the same type of unique weapon dropping a lot in a single run, it will not be the weapon you want. That is the expected outcome of a purely random system.

The evidence points to simple rng, it is all expected, it is all the logical outcome of the way the devs have said the drops work, the way the majority of players accept they work, random generator weighted only by rarity of the drop.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Are we doing rng "aluminum foil hat" (I can't afford tin foil... it's way too expensive) discussion here?

Hmm.... Is GGG really that nasty with rng? That would be some shitty shenanigans if it could be proven. I play PoE for fun and do not keep statistics of weapon drops for different classes.

That would be a neat experiment. Are bows and quivers dropping more or less on a ranger compared to a templar (the opposite of the bow/dex archetype). Maybe rangers get more quiver drops? That would be neat to find out.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
as ppl have pointed out, if ur playing a build that can use less than 10% of the potential build specific unique drops like weapons, which is pretty much every specific build, then wouldnt it be strange if it didnt pan out like this? No matter what build you pick, most weapons that drop will not be relevant to you.

Totally agree and it's even worse. When you play a wander you see the bows and are like "Bows" again. While you dont look for any wands. You are looking for a "Imbued wand". Same happen when you play archer and tell yourself "So many darn 2 handed and wands!" Yet, each time a bow drop you just nod and tell yourself "Well, its wrong kind of bow" and forget you seen a bow because you tell yourself "Close but no cigar!". In the end, I do think some monster types affect what has more/less chances to drop. In my experience Exiles for example seem to drop a lot more rings/amulets than any other type of monsters.
Last edited by petitcrabe1 on Jun 17, 2018, 6:25:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info