Is this seriously by design?

"
hogscraper wrote:
"
Perq wrote:

Want to hear a polarized opinion?
"
While I understand that GGG loves it's RNG, why make the entire point of a league something many players will never get to experience as anything but a complete waste of their time?

Taken from OP.
If you start with a polarized thesis expect strong, polarized response. OP isn't asking WHY he is constantly dying - he claims that most people die that way.

Which part of that was polarizing and to whom was it polarizing?

Hi! Before we get started, I'd like to add that in trying to hide behind semantics and literal word meanings, you've brought this entirely upon yourself. You like words? So do I! Let's get started.

First, 'polarizing' means 'dividing into two groups with opposing views.' A polarizing statement isn't polarizing 'to anyone' as you claim, a polarizing statement inherently affects everyone. Is your statement polarizing? You're dividing people into groups who think 'Incursions are a waste of time' and 'Incursions are not a waste of time.' It's a binary issue and the views are directly in opposition and this thread is proof that they're arguing with each other. This is a classic polarizing statement. So yes, your statement is polarizing.

Now, let's move on to your quibbling over 'many' and 'most.' It's funny that you mention a lack of reading comprehension because if you read and understood his statement you'd realize his statement and yours have nothing to do with each other. You're talking about the quantity of people who consider incursions a waste of time. He's talking about the quantity of people who die in incursions by a certain method. These groups surely overlap (people who die in an incursion are more likely to consider it a waste of time) but are not the same thing (I, for example, die in incursions occasionally but do not consider them a waste of time) therefore his word choice isn't wrong. You simply didn't read it closely enough.

As for RNG, I will point out this game has always been RNG-heavy. The fact you disliked Bestiary is especially interesting because Bestiary mitigated one of the largest sources of RNG in the game, loot drops. SSF and Hardcore are entire sub-leaques where RNG is emphasized, since loot drops are pure RNG and bad RNG can always kill you, incursions or no. Where skill really becomes involved is in the build, where you either make or find a build that works for your playstyle and level of mechanical skill. Can't see telegraphs well? You're going to want a tankier build for when you don't see the attack coming and get hit by it. Really good at manual dodging? You can get away with less durability since you're not going to get hit as much. Remember, the quality of the build you use and how well-suited it is to your playstyle is also a measure of skill.

I happen to agree with you that certain incursions can be overkill in the sheer amount of ranged doom that lands on your head when you spawn in, but I also know that's a consequence of running a build that's fairly fragile (though not as fragile as yours, and I'm not even melee) at certain points of the game. You can grouse about it, sure, but you should also look at what you can do to improve the situation for yourself. How can you change your build or playstyle to survive better? Is there an item you could use to be tankier? It's that sort of adaptation that really helps you master Path of Exile.
Last edited by Trylobyte on Jun 15, 2018, 4:07:08 PM
"
Trylobyte wrote:

First, 'polarizing' means 'dividing into two groups with opposing views.' A polarizing statement isn't polarizing 'to anyone' as you claim, a polarizing statement inherently affects everyone. Is your statement polarizing? You're dividing people into groups who think 'Incursions are a waste of time' and 'Incursions are not a waste of time.' It's a binary issue and the views are directly in opposition and this thread is proof that they're arguing with each other. This is a classic polarizing statement. So yes, your statement is polarizing.

Your choosing to be pedantic doesn't make a factually accurate sentence polarizing and neither does a million irrelevant things you choose to read into the statement.
Do I see streamers getting rekt in incursions from mass attacks at the start? Enough that some enterprising people are making best of videos of it happening.
Do I see lots of people complaining in global about how their tanky chars are getting insta-killed in incursions while they have zero trouble in the map where the incursion is found? Yes.
Is the game heavily based on RNG? Yes.

What proof do you have that the players I mentioned in that quote are liars? Facts are only polarizing to those who refuse to recognize reality. Once again I find myself questioning the reading comprehension of a lot of the people in this thread.

Last edited by hogscraper on Jun 16, 2018, 2:07:46 PM
Seems to me like the issue is the following:

-60% chaos res used to be fine for a long time, as chaos res was optional depending on your build and what kinds of bosses/areas you wanted to farm. A bunch of my Standard characters are at -60% and can run red maps no problem.

Now, with incursion, chaos res is much more important. But we're not used to having to gear for that, and it can potentially be tough/expensive to get rares that have chaos res on top of everything else we need. People who play both leagues and Standard, like myself, are probably not looking forward to having to re-gear our characters and deal with all the resistance math if incursions are added to the core game.

Hence, it's frustrating. We're being told we now need this other stat too in addition to everything else.

But my advice is to adapt and build around it - it'll turn out to not be as annoying as one might think, and it raises the value of chaos res gear as well as the usefulness of CI characters. Incursion is essentially chaos res league and should be seen as such.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Jun 16, 2018, 5:20:44 PM
"
Your choosing to be pedantic doesn't make a factually accurate sentence polarizing and neither does a million irrelevant things you choose to read into the statement.

"
While I understand that GGG loves it's RNG, why make the entire point of a league something many players will never get to experience as anything but a complete waste of their time?

So... uhm... how is that not polarizing. And it isnt even true. The most people basically only play lower maps, if at all. And in those areas it is fairly easy to do incursions, the damage is pretty low and the temple gives above average rewards. So the temple is a much better experience for more casual players than it is for better players. The mods on white maps are not too tough and while I wouldnt recommend doing Incursions with Beyond or Temp Chains, even this is doable. And I'm not sure which content people are blocked from. It isnt necessary to actually kill any architect or open any door to get to the temple. And you dont need many Incursions to get to the boss so you can fail a few.

And honestly I dont even have trouble with the Constructs and I'm at -60% Chaos Res. The more troublesome enemies are those odd priests or cultists that fire some red projectiles, not sure how they are called, but their damage is propably physical and since I'm wearing abyssus this might be the reason why they hurt more. And yeah this is mostly from white and yellow maps, but then again you are speaking of a lot of players, and that is propably a more likely area of maps to find a majority.

So either you are speaking of red maps, where incursions are hard, but not many players are actually playing, or you are speaking of lower maps, where a lot of players are at, but incursions are fairly easy.
"
hogscraper wrote:
[...] is it a bad thing to ask if an amount of RNG that guarantees failure, regardless of skill, is too much RNG?

Again - you think that it is true, but it isn't. That is the part of the game and progressing in it as a player.

And, yeah, was about to do a little write up about your accusation of my bad reading comprehension, but Trylobyte did it for me. Thanks Trylobyte!
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Prizy wrote:
I can't see how people can complain about being one shot when all I see in that screen shot is this:

That life total is going to get you rekt no matter WHERE you are randomly at all times.

Dont judge a book by its cover... My build in incursion Runs LESS life than this and is about to take down Uber Elder... Of course on the other side of the screen you would also find nearly 9K Mana that 60% of all my damage goes to and 28% of that total damage is returned as mana as well.. Making my 4K life character feel like 10-12K+. But yeah pretty amazing how far 4K life can take you with the right tools.

However in this case we are not talking about a MOM build we are talking about a Melee build...
And for that 4K is pretty bad and if you mapping anything into red tiers with that life total on such a build you damn sure better have some serious layers of defenses to make that work.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jun 18, 2018, 4:55:58 AM
TL;DR : These things managed to kill my near-unkillable juggernaut. I think they exist solely to make us spec for chaos resistance at long last. I did, since then, they are not at all that scary.

There are builds that have much less room for chaos res, I think this is the time when such builds will need to "adapt or perish"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info