Is this seriously by design?

I absolutely LOVE this thread.

It is a literal microcosm of not only the PoE forums, but may I risk, the entire internet.

(1) I have a concern/problem/challenge.
(2) Git Gud
(3) You are doing it wrong
(4) Me too, this concern/problem/challenge affects me in the same way.
(5) Here are the ways I have overcome your concern/problem/challenge - why are you not more like me?
(6) This concern/problem/challenge is trivial, why are you even complaining, how do you life?

Such polarizing arguments.

Sometimes I wonder how we as a species ever resolve anything anymore. This is the truest (and funniest) statement I've ever read: "Humans should not have been allowed to evolve to communication beyond punching distance". (gasp - toxic masculinity!)

Anyway - I have -60% resists, and I could do incursions up to about T5 and then beyond that they started getting seriously rippy. It was a combination of the constructs AND often the mass elemental/bleed damage from the ranged casters as well. I have officially decided to skip incursions until I hit 90 so I don't grind my teeth down to a nub losing exp as I level.

I was looking for a rare for the Flesh of the Beast prophecy last night (and failed, frustrating!) in Belly of the Beast Act 9 and did a couple of the incursions - they were fun being seriously overleveled - now I know how the super builds feel!
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Jun 14, 2018, 10:36:43 AM
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

It is a literal microcosm of not only the PoE forums, but may I risk, the entire internet.

(2) Git Gud
(5) Here are the ways I have overcome your concern/problem/challenge - why are you not more like me?
(6) This concern/problem/challenge is trivial, why are you even complaining, how do you life?

Sometimes I wonder how we as a species ever resolve anything anymore. This is the truest (and funniest) statement I've ever read: "Humans should not have been allowed to evolve to communication beyond punching distance". (gasp - toxic masculinity!)

but you answered how we survived.

1) read about a problem.
2) dismiss it as inexperience from a more veteran player. ( short warrior like response)
3) try to educate the inexperience so that the problem can be overcome. (the elders response)
4) another child with same learning problem, who wants guidance from 3 but may not understand it. (adolescent)
5) the seasoned veteran - who lacks empathy but still wants to help with their experience.
6) the jaded veteran - who lacks the ability to teach

so we survive by 4 and 5 suggesting counter methods to avoid such dangers that they have faced and overcome.
like our species , you either learn to not poke the bear , or how to hunt it down safetly.
In my experience the constructs on their own aren't a huge problem. The casters aren't a huge problem. The melee mobs aren't a huge problem.

What does become a problem is when I spawn into an incursion in the middle of a wide-open room with raised platforms all around me full of a mix of ranged mobs. The instant I twitch I'm suddenly targeted with what can be almost a hundred projectiles and spells from enemies I can't easily hit back because they're not on the same elevation. While I can usually survive this unless the hordes are especially thick, I get hit by one too many crits, or I'm also surrounded by melee mobs, it's an instant RIP if this happens on a map with a number of damage increases or multiple projectiles. It can feel like spawning in front of a firing squad.

This doesn't reflect the whole of my Incursion experiences, which are generally fine, but it's happened just often enough for me to take notice of it. My build doesn't allow for much more in the way of tankiness at the moment (at least not that I can afford) so I have to accept that sometimes things like this are just gonna happen occasionally. I'd love to figure out a way to stop it, though, if anyone has advice, just so I can stop skipping incursions on maps that amplify the ranged spam.
Last edited by Trylobyte on Jun 14, 2018, 10:51:32 AM
"
nadakuu wrote:
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

(2) Git Gud

but you answered how we survived.

1) read about a problem.
2) dismiss it as inexperience from a more veteran player. ( short warrior like response)
3) try to educate the inexperience so that the problem can be overcome. (the elders response)
4) another child with same learning problem, who wants guidance from 3 but may not understand it. (adolescent)
5) the seasoned veteran - who lacks empathy but still wants to help with their experience.
6) the jaded veteran - who lacks the ability to teach

so we survive by 4 and 5 suggesting counter methods to avoid such dangers that they have faced and overcome.
like our species , you either learn to not poke the bear , or how to hunt it down safetly.

Please, don't try to layer in harmless logic to these responses. This is complete hyperbole: he beats me but he really loves me.

If those responses were truly meant to educate, be constructive criticism, or even be playfully aggressive they would easily be interpreted as such. Most are not; they are transparently meant to condescend and dominate, and make that person feel better about themselves.

Some, to your point, ARE playfully aggressive. But if you aren't an internet virgin you can easily see the difference.
"
Baron01 wrote:
Let's be honest, ranged constructs in temple are heavily overtuned. Their projectile is a heavy chaos damage spell, which makes most of traditional defenses useless against it. Even worse is that individual incursions are impacted by your map mods. Map mods that are no issue in maps where construct's presence is limited suddenly become death-traps in incursions--additional projectiles or chain are absolute killer mods in incursions.

Ranged constructs should be toned down by reducing chaos portion of their damagge, changing their projectiles not to be spells and either prevent them from being affected by multiple projectile/chain map mods or reduce their projectile speed. Also, their aggro and attack range need to be reduced because these buggers can off-screen you like crazy.

"
Legatus1982 wrote:

One thing you could try, even as an armor charater, is getting a dodge flask and running vaal grace + increased duration and getting some extra chaos resist on your gear. That should actually help a lot on its own. Pop vaal grace before going in, then hit your flask as your first action and move quickly to the side - that should keep you nearly topped off against these fuckers.

That's really the issue I'm seeing with these. The last three leagues I had decent luck with drops and had one character per league that could complete end-game content easily but even those characters had -60% chaos res. This league I'm struggling to find anything close to good enough to fill all of those stats.

Thanks for the tips! And thank you guys for the heads up concerning the incursion timer. I know you have a damage grace period but being a non-1m dps tank I'm always hitting the ground running trying to kill as much as possible. I didn't realize that the incursion timer itself was waiting. That can definitely save me the hassle of lost xp but the question still remains: Is a league where many players have no choice but to skip the entire content of the league 'working as intended'?

Its kind of cute when people say my life total is low and that I should have way more chaos res. The gear I have is the best that has dropped or that I can afford. Funnily enough my stats are good enough to do every map I've had drop so far or could buy from Zana with very few overall deaths so telling me my life total is too low is a BS argument. If I can stroll through uber lab and face tank uber Izaro an alched T3 map incursion shouldn't be near-instantly killing me. Its almost as if GGG saw that people were playing the game as it was offered and not seeing much need for chaos res then said screw these guys, let's change things entirely without changing all of the loot that drops as well.
This loot pinata has given me kaom's heart, inpulsas and taste of hate so far.
I can't see how people can complain about being one shot when all I see in that screen shot is this:

That life total is going to get you rekt no matter WHERE you are randomly at all times.
"
Prizy wrote:
I can't see how people can complain about being one shot when all I see in that screen shot is this:

That life total is going to get you rekt no matter WHERE you are randomly at all times.

I like how you capitalized WHERE. Are you saying that life total isn't enough for Act 1? What about Act 5? Act 10? I'm confused at your blanket statement that implies a level 1 character would expect to get "rekt" with just over 4k life.
Or did you mean WHERE like uber lab? I did that first try yesterday morning. Or were you talking about white and yellow tier maps? I just moved from white to yellow and have yet to die like that anywhere in the game EXCEPT inside incursions. If by WHERE you simply mean higher than mid red tier maps then you would be correct but also completely irrelevant to what is being discussed.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

(2) Git Gud

Such polarizing arguments.

Anyway - I have -60% resists, and I could do incursions up to about T5 and then beyond that they started getting seriously rippy. It was a combination of the constructs AND often the mass elemental/bleed damage from the ranged casters as well. I have officially decided to skip incursions until I hit 90 so I don't grind my teeth down to a nub losing exp as I level.

I was looking for a rare for the Flesh of the Beast prophecy last night (and failed, frustrating!) in Belly of the Beast Act 9 and did a couple of the incursions - they were fun being seriously overleveled - now I know how the super builds feel!

What is the point of this pointless bit at the start?
People have opinions and voice their experiences - woopy-doopty-doo Sherlock, you invented discussion!

Want to hear a polarized opinion?

"
While I understand that GGG loves it's RNG, why make the entire point of a league something many players will never get to experience as anything but a complete waste of their time?

Taken from OP.
If you start with a polarized thesis expect strong, polarized response. OP isn't asking WHY he is constantly dying - he claims that most people die that way.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:

Want to hear a polarized opinion?
"
While I understand that GGG loves it's RNG, why make the entire point of a league something many players will never get to experience as anything but a complete waste of their time?

Taken from OP.
If you start with a polarized thesis expect strong, polarized response. OP isn't asking WHY he is constantly dying - he claims that most people die that way.

Which part of that was polarizing and to whom was it polarizing? There is a rather large gulf of distance between many as an adjective, (defines a large quantity and has nothing to do with percentages), and "most", (defines a percentage of more than half). I can see where a person without any sort of reading comprehension would confuse those two but even these forums have more than a few people with similar issues with certain builds. Builds that don't seem to have any trouble with non-league content.

No offense, but when their entire business model is donation based how is it a bad thing to ask if an amount of RNG that guarantees failure, regardless of skill, is too much RNG? I spend around $30 a month on gaming. I spent all $90 of that on this game just before Abyss because I was enjoying what they were making. I did the same thing before Bestiary but that league stopped me from spending anything else on this game and this league just feels like a different version of that same sort of BS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info