Buriedbornes Mobile RPG discussion thread

Totally doing it.

Spoiler
As an aside, my absolute favourite skill is Split Open. What a perfect name for what it does. Serious gank monster.

Second favourite is Secret Hole. A pointing finger. Massive delayed damage. Hahaha, I wonder where the hole is...
21/05/2018. The day the indie company owned and operated in New Zealand known as GGG died. It is now owned and ultimately at the mercy of Chinese megacorp Tencent.

"Some problems *are* deep, underlying injustices with societal norms requiring a crusade." -- Also Sprach Charathustra
Shit, it was like $2.80 to permanently remove the soulstone/frag cost to move buffs around. LOL, what a bargain. Didn't even leave me with much awkward leftover gold like other games do, which I hate because I don't want to get more to spend it on more blatant pay to win elements.

I love this game.
21/05/2018. The day the indie company owned and operated in New Zealand known as GGG died. It is now owned and ultimately at the mercy of Chinese megacorp Tencent.

"Some problems *are* deep, underlying injustices with societal norms requiring a crusade." -- Also Sprach Charathustra
So I was trying to describe the game to the girlfriend, who's obviously noticed me playing it pretty much all the time on the tablet and commented that the art reminded her of old sega rpgs. I explained that it's sort of like Dark Souls, and then described the mechanic of fighting other people after they've died.

Being the perfect match for me that she is, she said, 'No, that's more like that other game you were playing, with the tower...With the haters...'

And fuck me if she wasn't 100% correct. Buriedbornes is basically a simplifed, boiled-down version of another quirky indie free to play Japanese game, Let It Die. Here's the gameplay description:

"
Players fight through a treacherous tower obtaining various types of weapons and armor while finding creatures and mushrooms to eat in order to stay alive. Upon death, a player’s “death data” is then circulated among other player’s games where they will appear as formidable opponents.

So there's the perfect description for Buriedbornes: Let It Die as a turn-based rpg. If anything, I'd say Buriedbornes is more complex with its skill and gear diversity, but Let It Die is real-time, much more like a Souls game, so it has tactical gameplay complexity that Buriedbornes obviously doesn't.

One thing I have noticed with the "pvp", for lack of a better term, is the the player generated buriedbornes don't quite work correctly.

At scaled levels they seem to not have event buffs, often capping them at low levels of hp where they almost certainly would not have survived till that point in an actual run.

They also don't seem to follow the logic of abilities that don't end your turn, they will always take one action regardless of whether or not it's a fast action and then end their turn. This makes pvp fights against dragoons for instance laughably easy.

It's a little disappointing that these fights are gimped but I suppose they are still comparably harder than normal fights when going against the vanilla lineup.
I imagine these are concessions made to 'monsterfy' a player-character.

True, I suppose it does make sense that they would need to fit within the already defined bounds of what an enemy can do.

It does make me question whether the HP cap / Limit break should apply to wandering corpses though.

I assume there's no way to submit feedback to the devs as an English only speaker, but it's no big I guess :P
I gave this one a college try (about 2 hours) because we seem to have similar tastes, and I currently have a very long commute in which I have time to kill, but I'm having trouble understanding the appeal.

There seems to be very little actual tactics involved in the combat--maybe a bit of meta-knowledge to help you choose the strongest skills for your character, but that's about it--and the game seems ridiculously simple and easy for as long as I am surviving, and then I suddenly die from a damage spike and I have no idea what I did wrong so can't really learn from it.

On the other hand, that description could be equally applied to PoE...

But seriously, the reason I enjoy Rogue and games like it is that I feel like I have learned something new every time I play through it, and I always feel at least indirectly responsible when I eventually die. I don't get that from this game at all. So what else is there?
I make eggs.
Here's what I mean Charan, pretty deep into this league dungeon run today I kept running into these player monsters with only 9999 health, which get promptly one shot.

rZQ7sMF
Seems almost like a bug.

"
I gave this one a college try (about 2 hours) because we seem to have similar tastes, and I currently have a very long commute in which I have time to kill, but I'm having trouble understanding the appeal.

There seems to be very little actual tactics involved in the combat--maybe a bit of meta-knowledge to help you choose the strongest skills for your character, but that's about it--and the game seems ridiculously simple and easy for as long as I am surviving, and then I suddenly die from a damage spike and I have no idea what I did wrong so can't really learn from it.

On the other hand, that description could be equally applied to PoE...

But seriously, the reason I enjoy Rogue and games like it is that I feel like I have learned something new every time I play through it, and I always feel at least indirectly responsible when I eventually die. I don't get that from this game at all. So what else is there?

2 hours isn't a college try. That's an after-school little league training session.

The real draw for me is the randomness of it. The sheer merciless fairness of being sent in there with very little and having to use whatever comes up. It's not the sort of game where each run you die and go, oh, that's what I should have done differently. If that's the sort of game you like, that's not this. At least, not for the first 'part', where you're just getting acquainted with the various classes, stats, enemies, room effects, events and skills. It's not until you start accumulating enough dungeon-found wealth to modify your classes before you head out that you're doing much of anything other than learning to play.

And even once you've entered the more deliberate stage, you can get wiped at any time. It just happens. But it's never unfair because that's part of the game, for everyone. Sometimes it's crazy-frustrating -- recently I had to retire a character forcibly because she made it up to a boss she just couldn't kill and that couldn't kill her. Oh well. I walked out with some fragments of death and soulstones, which I can then use to unlock more classes or create more class mods.

I still consider this comparable to a rogue-like since those often come down to the luck of what you find along the way too, and the range of things you can find is immense.

The tactical play is in the cooldowns mostly, which can get mightily fucked up if you're very unlucky. The strategic play is knowing which items/skills to accept and which to reject that best match your class. And you're not going to understand your class after only 2 hours. Some of them work in pretty subtle ways. Some, like the Dragoon, are just bulldozers. But they are all very different to each other despite having only a few different starting skills that can be replaced fairly early if you want. Their few innate traits are often things you only see on uniques or very rare items.

If you're not feeling the game, that's fine. It is. But as you said, 'that description could be equally applied to PoE'...same thing with '2 hours'. Just how much of PoE can you learn in 2 hours? From scratch? Not much. The basic basics.

But I would argue that you can probably tell within 2 hours if you want to play it more or not. If it's your thing. That's between you and your mobile device though. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info