nerf DD? When?

DD is about the only thing that can/does kill speed clearing meta builds. I'm all for removing DD if they adjust game difficulty so monsters are not just walking experience placeholders.
I just don't get people.

They want everything nerfed or buffed that affect them in what they call a negative way.

I don't get enough loot mehh.
DD is OP mehh.
Where are my alch orbs mehh?
6 linking is too hard mehh.

Hey i got an exalt dropped. "It was about them time i did" mehh.

Plays HC. Adding double Beyond mod on every map. Cries about the danger.

Look, they already added a telegraphed animation to the Beyond boss using Vaal Detonate Dead. Other than that, you have to stand on a VERY tanky corpse to die to a single Detonate Dead. Move around, dude. It's not impossible.

Everything that might kill you, can't be nerfed. And changes to off-screening is comming, and that SHOULD have an affect on mosters as well.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 24, 2018, 2:51:23 PM
In case of Marty, he died to DD because this game was way too easy for him, that's why he was not even looking at the screen.

GGG need to address the needs of both those players who think current POE is way too easy and the other way around.
Last edited by TrichocereusSP on May 24, 2018, 2:59:10 PM
There's an interesting discussion in here, actually. if one ignores both the OP whinging and the rest of the thread telling him to Git Gudder.

What counts as telegraphing a big hit, in Path of Exile?

There's a valid argument to be made that the map mods, in this case, are fairly telegraphing the potential danger of the map. 'Map Has Totems' lets you knot to watch for Ackbar Sticks, and Beyond mod also lets the player know that monsters capable of casting Korpse Kaboom will be present. Both of those are telegraphed to the player before they so much as open the map, if they identify it. And if they don't identify it? Then that's the risk they run for the extra rewards of playing an unidentified map in Ripcore.

That said? They did remove Reflect from rare critters in the game and reworked Volatile Blood to allow counterplay, which seems to be what the OP is complaining about. Korpse Kaboom has no counterplay save staying away from corpses (which I would count as counterplay, but hey) - there's no wind-up or warning, no visual GEDDAFUQOWT queue - it's basically a Fireball you can't see coming. Some people consider that a FeelsBadMan sort of death, and not something the game should encourage.

Disregarding the Ripcore arguments for a moment, what qualifies as fair signalling to the player? The fact that fair signalling of danger should be required is not really up for debate - if a mechanic exists in the game that can be interpreted to read "roll a dice at [X] invisible interval. If the result is 1, kill the player", that's manifestly not acceptable. All potentially fatal situations in the game need to be signaled in advance of the death in order for the game to feel fair, though it's worth noting that 'fair' doesn't mean 'easy'. Prime example is Dark Souls, of course - the game is brutal, but its rules are consistent and it doesn't ever kill you out of nowhere with no warning whatsoever.

So. Is the presence of the "Has Totems" or "Is Beyonded" map mod lines enough signalling for Detonate Dead? Is the game permitted to signal before the player steps into a zone that the zone is equipped to drop sudden, unanticipated burst damage on them at any given moment without having to actually signal every individual packet of said damage? Or does every single hit need its own warning wind-up, a'la Volatile Cores, because a Zone Warning isn't enough?

I'm inclined to come down on the 'Git Gudder' side that intrinsically believes that zone-wide "Here There Be Bullshit" warnings are enough. If every single individual heavy hit requires extensive telegraphing, that unfairly constrains the game developers and eliminates potential options for otherwise interesting or challenging encounters. One example would be Poorjoy's Asylum, in which even random white critters can blow your face off if you give them a chance due to Poorjoy's massive critter damage boost. That thing doesn't telegraph monster spike damage any more than the regular game does - it relies on you-the-player reading "Monsters do shit-tons of extra damage" in the map mods list for Poorjoy's Asylum and realizing that this means you're much more vulnerably to Beeng Kilt Fur Reel if you run the map. The same system applies for generic maps with a lot of heavy boss-amping mods - you're supposed to know before you hit a portal that the big guy at the end of the run will be out for blood and is well-equipped to get it.

Path of Exile demands a great deal of non-intuitive knowledge to play at a high level, and always has. Knowing how to play footsie with Detonate Dead is one of those things you either pick up as you go or research somewhere after getting blown up in weird ways one time too many. Knowing what zone modifiers mean and how they affect your strategies for working through a zone is part of that high-level knowledge, and as such it would be considered fair signalling. Things like Reflect rares and Volatile Blood were reworked because there was no zone-wide "there's explodey shit in here!" warning for either modifier - they appear strictly locally, and so there was no way to see them coming save to actually play the game learn Reflect auras and watch for them, or be wary of anything Nemesis-colored that you didn't mouse over while running melee. I like the Volatile rework quite a bit; I'm less fond of the Reflect rework and miss Reflect critters, mostly for the same reason I'm fine with Detonate Dead.

Anything that slows down five-maps-a-minute Kinetic Bonkos and forces them to actually play Path of Exile or engage with the game in the slightest possible way is to be encouraged. By all means, kill those pukes as mercilessly as you possibly can.
Last edited by 1453R on May 24, 2018, 3:15:31 PM
Make the game more rippy. To the point where ppl are forced to play SC or slow down.
Make everything dangerous again.
POE needs more, not less, things that make going faster more dangerous. I like playing fast characters myself, but there needs be some "reality checks" here and there to make it have more of a feeling of danger and that you are at a high risk of going splat at any time.

DD is fine the way it is. It is not hard to avoid as long as you are paying attention. If you are checking your chat, that is not paying attention and that is ALL ON YOU.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Why nerf it? You have logout macros so there needs to be something to one shot you.

Cute HC post lol.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
There is something called - skill.

Dying to mechanics that you know its dangerous and you know the mechanics its totally fair. I see no problems on shaper/atziri doing one shot.

Dying to bears or volatile is totally fair - You didn't paid attention and paid the price.

The problem is DD gave us no allert, no animation, just a instantly rip while you're walking anywhere.

The cool game is when you can avoid dangerous situations if you're skilled for it. NO warning damage is broken.

That's the point of this thread, but as expected all garbage SC players comes here with 'logout' words. Sad brainless ppl no wonder why they play sc :P
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on May 24, 2018, 7:04:35 PM
Risk vs reward.

That being said, they could add something to those Beyond enemies which guarantees they don't cast detonate dead as their first action, just like they did to make cannibal packs not all throw their torches at once, or the water elemental packs not all use cold snap at the same time.

That being said, I kind of agree with DS_Deadman that sprinting through maps should require a little more attention than just checking whether or not the map has totems, reflect or Beyond before starting.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info