Why exactly does PoE have so many white and blue drops anyway?

Yes, I know we can use loot filters. No, I'm not asking for a 'smart drops' or anything that would increase our likelihood of getting nice stuff. I'm just wondering why GGG doesn't simply tone down the drop rate of white and blue items in endgame (no, not an overall IIQ nerf, just the drop rate of this kind of gear). You might say they see no need to, but loot explosions, like strongboxes, must tax the engine somewhat, even if the effect is virtually negligible. More than that, it's kinda jarring for new players to see this for the first time - it makes the game look unoptimized. GGG has changed drop rates alongside progression before - for instance, the Bestiary nets follow a progression in their drop rates. And btw, since I'm not talking about implementing 'smart loot' here, yes there will be casualties - primarily the jeweller and chromatic orb vendor recipes (less whites and blues means less opportunities for 6-sockets and RGB items). Given their low value, I don't think it would affect the game much. Many people even just filter the chrome gear out and don't bother with them. Plus you'd still get the currency items themselves at the same rate.

This isn't a complaint per se, merely something that puzzles me. They could fix this in a flash just by switching a couple of numbers for the base drop rates in the late game, after all.
Last bumped on May 22, 2018, 4:05:52 PM
Gravity
I dont see any any key!
Why not? (channeling my best Belushi)
They've answered this question dozens of times: they want good items to feel more impactful. A unique dropping in a sea of normal and magic items feels more impactful to them than dropping in a puddle of rares. To them, anyway.
"
codetaku wrote:
They've answered this question dozens of times: they want good items to feel more impactful. A unique dropping in a sea of normal and magic items feels more impactful to them than dropping in a puddle of rares. To them, anyway.

Hmmm, don't recall hearing them say that before. Don't recall even seeing this topic raised before post the introduction of loot filters.
"
codetaku wrote:

If we would see 1/10 of white items we do now It would still take thousands of white items before you find decent unique item (as in over 1 chaos worth)

So the idea is not mutually exclusive

Also the loot filters that we can and i believe most of us use already go against that.

My filter will not even show crap uniques or rares.
For animate weapon, of course.
SSF vendor
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
frenzul wrote:

Anime what? Go away weeb!We do not want you here.
Skill is really good when people forget it does even exist.
"
frenzul wrote:

I dunno. They never really seem to be lacking in stuff to use while mapping once they get started (bosses are a different matter, of course). I suspect they'll be fine unless the change is very heavy-handed. Even a 50% reduction shouldn't really cramp their style.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info