Being level 100 needs to be more sacred than it is now

"
"
So where's your level 100?

OMEGALUL

I'll make one when it is actually worth accomplishing.

Lmao. So you don't even know how much it takes to make one, but at the same time you say it is too easy.

SC Flashback has 143 level 100 characters. There are 15000 on the ladder, lowest being level 90.
You say it is easy, but the highest level you've EVER had is 91... You'd barely hit the ladder.

How can one take your seriously?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
"
"

OMEGALUL

Lmao. So you don't even know how much it takes to make one, but at the same time you say it is too easy.

SC Flashback has 143 level 100 characters. There are 15000 on the ladder, lowest being level 90.
You say it is easy, but the highest level you've EVER had is 91... You'd barely hit the ladder.

How can one take your seriously?

Do you know what it takes to make one? Is it worth accomplishing or is it just a time sink? It's undeniable that the amount of powercreep we got over the years made it easier and easier to lvlup and kill monsters. To counter that GGG didn't increase the max lvl but introduced heavy xp penalties the higher you lvl up. So now we have a situtation where it's very easy to reach a certain lvl that was considered very high in the past (90-95) and then any progress just crawls to a halt. It's just a mindless grind of trying to avoid the death effects of certain monsters and/ or avoid stupidly rolled maps or their bosses. If you got challenged every step of the way, it would feel like an accomplishment.

A difficult game should give their players a hard time leveling. An easy game shouldn't. But that doesn't happen in this game anymore. There is an imbalance in that regard. They should either increase the max level to smooth out the progress of leveling past 95 or make lvling to 100 easier. OR try and make it hard again now that tencent handles business and chris can dedicate all his time to the game :)
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on May 23, 2018, 2:02:42 AM
Make game harder... well, when they do (introducing harder monsters for one) people keep on complaining over bullshit mechanics and no fun allowed.

To answer your question - I kinda do. Made it to 96 so far, and it already was a whole lot of grind to me. Avoiding death is kinda hard, given how much exp you lose. I can imagine in only gets worse. :P
The point is - I'm not saying it is too easy or not sacred enough. If I was able to level up to 100 in a week, maybe I'd be able to give you an insight what is wrong with the current system.
But I don't, neither OP is. In fact, he isn't even close.

My point is - playing 28 hours a day, min-maxing your exp/hour and having people pick up your items because you don't have time to do it isn't my idea of easy. There will always be people who push things to the limits.
Other thing that people constantly ignore is that community has grown. Not only in numbers, but also in skill level. Average PoE player (if there is even such a thing, lol) is way better at the game than in beta.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Being level 100 should be entirely anticlimactic and make you ask "why on earth did I do that?".
sure, brb, gonna draft up a proposal to tencents for an instantly gain a level pack.

lv95 or below: 9.99 per level
lv96: 19.99
lv97: 29.99
lv98: 39.99
lv99: 59.99
lv100: 99.99
I have an Alien pet.
Last edited by kelongngu on May 23, 2018, 3:05:55 AM
"
Pyrokar wrote:

Do you know what it takes to make one? Is it worth accomplishing or is it just a time sink? It's undeniable that the amount of powercreep we got over the years made it easier and easier to lvlup and kill monsters. To counter that GGG didn't increase the max lvl but introduced heavy xp penalties the higher you lvl up. So now we have a situtation where it's very easy to reach a certain lvl that was considered very high in the past (90-95) and then any progress just crawls to a halt. It's just a mindless grind of trying to avoid the death effects of certain monsters and/ or avoid stupidly rolled maps or their bosses. If you got challenged every step of the way, it would feel like an accomplishment.

A difficult game should give their players a hard time leveling. An easy game shouldn't. But that doesn't happen in this game anymore. There is an imbalance in that regard. They should either increase the max level to smooth out the progress of leveling past 95 or make lvling to 100 easier. OR try and make it hard again now that tencent handles business and chris can dedicate all his time to the game :)

Before 2.0 you could do your final levels in the lowest lvl maps with 2% exp gained, there's pretty much always been an easy way to level.
"
"

OMEGALUL

Level 100 is not necessary, just hit 98 and then come back here to give your feedback on how it was too easy and too fast, until then you're not entitled to talk about something you have 0 experience in it
Chris Wilson, is that you on "TheVibeOfDeath?" I mean, you're 11/40, which sounds about right...

But kidding aside, the whole notion of "level 100 is sacred" is a degree of nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses nonsense that is very incompatible with the reality of a game that is speed-run and streamed.

Simply put? Streamers are always going to be competitive, and find ways to well surpass the speed of common players like you. Yeah, one can think back to one's childhood years when it was a struggle to advance? The games didn't really become easier when you stopped struggling, you just got good. And as a community, Path of Exile's playerbase has all but re-written the meaning of "git gud." Even when GGG doesn't introduce a new heaping load of power creep, players are STILL discovering new tricks to improve their speed.

It's a fact of life. And there's nothing that can be done to stop them short of there being no reason to stream or even play Path of Exile. But on the bright side, PoE is still one of the hardest games to level cap in. I mean, look back at Diablo 2... Par for 1 to 99 was actually 24 hours, and the world-record to beat Hell difficulty is 4 hours and 20 minutes (hitting level 62; leveling past that is swift because Baal himself is a level 99 monster and has zero off-level penalty)

I mean, speedrunning in general wasn't around forever; it's been maybe a decade since it became a big, publicly-visible thing. It happens to ALL games; now we live in an era where, say, the original SMB has been beaten in under 5 minutes by no fewer than 64 different players, and countless other cases of gamers being extremely fast. It's just the way of things, and to throw a fit over them is to just be plain silly and immature.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
I like the state of 100. I will never go for 100, not a chance, but from my view as an "interested consumer" of the 100 races, it's adequate to be able to get to 100 within first 2 weeks for those hardcore racers. I don't think they would go for it every league if the expectancy would be raw 10 days / 240 hours grinding at lvl 99 to 100.

1. it's tiring to play
2. it's tiring to watch
3. even HC racers want to have a life from time to time. 16-18 hours a day, for 2 or 3 weeks, it's tough on human body.

Problem might be the "efficiency" of the 100 racing - going for T11 -T13 shaped atlas strategies which are much more rewarding than T15-T16, not only from the map sustain PoV. Maybe the XP penalty should change at bit when reaching 98-99, to have bigger motivation to do higher tier maps and to make those maps a bit more scarce than they are now. But then it would introduce another problems - similar to Bestiary league - if there wouldn't be any loot Piňata, and to be cocblocked by drop rate from playing high tier content, it would be more demotivating than speedrunning 10 x T12 over 1x T16 guardian map.

They already killed sextants, they are changing the atlas progression, they killed the Elderrings. This stuff directly affect 100 races. But regardless, Pro Racers will always find a way to optimize to get 100 as fast as possible and there's not really a need to discourage 20 players from going for 1st 100, even if 10000 players are going to reach 100 in 2 months of the league.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
Last edited by Marxone on May 23, 2018, 8:41:35 AM
I´d also like to chime in.

I did it last year, 99 to 100 in Standard League, here's some details on how it goes for your average Joe (that's me =) ) :

1. Had to go insanely tanky, because PoE loves to give you a false sense of safety just to hit you really bad when you don´t expect it. And at level 99, that will cost you 2-3 days of grinding.

2. Being tanky meant 7.2k life, 1.3k ES with maxed out Block Necromancer and 50k armour for Aegis Block. I still had 6-7 super close spots where I almost died (mostly to DoT like Essence Drain rogue exile, where block doesn't help at all)

3. Half the time I had a friend support me with a much higher dps build, speeding things up nicely. The other half I played solo.

4. It took me 8 weeks averaging 5-6 hours daily playtime, that was BEFORE the latest nerf to exp gain in 3.0. Now, 40% longer would actually make this 11 weeks. Don´t think I'd do this again, ever. 8 weeks was just about bearable and definitely tested my patience & discipline. I wouldn't wanna do it again.

5. I skipped ALL the bosses that were a potential threat and spent s***loads of chaos orbs to reroll maps to good packsize/quantity without being unnecessarily dangerous.

Could add some more, but you propably already get the picture : It´s an INSANE FUCKING GRIND already, and the couple of guys ( a few out of thousands of players ) who hit it in under 2 weeks are by no means representative of the community. They're the top end of the line, and funny enough, they keep doing it no matter how hard GGG nerfs exp gain. But don't let that fool you, most other people struggle with this really bad. Actually, of all my friends I have in the game, I am the only one who ever achieved level 100.

So, to adress your post directly...if it took these top players 2 months, it would have taken me over a year...let that sink in for a while ;) I could never have done it...

I'm pretty much with most others who replied...you go all the way first, and THEN make a statement on how "easy" it is. Because it's not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info