Current ARPGs to turn to?

I don't have a funking clue. I don't understand why there aren't more.

I gave Grim Dawn a good, solid chance, I think. There is just something that I didn't like about it. Maybe it was a little bit of everything. I like the constellation tree. I like the class trees. I didn't like the art and I didn't like the inventory being filled entirely with little chips and gems that all did the same thing but needed to be combined to stronger variants. I know I can always go back to it, if need be, but it didn't quite hit the mark for me.

I gave Torchlight 2 half the chance. I couldn't get past the art/style. Too Warcrafty or something. It was alright at best.

I could not possibly care any less about games in Alpha. I tried and bought Wolcen out of bored desperation and there is just nothing there right now. I'll catch it and other alpha ARPG's when they are released, if ever. No point wasting any more time or money on them.

Luckily, I do still love POE and am getting a little tiny bit better at it so I'm able to do more content. If I understood mechanics a touch better and could successfully create my own build I'd enjoy it a lot more.. and then likely play it too much that it's ruined.

That said, since the league is winding down, I did almost consider picking up Diablo 1 this weekend since I had never beat it. I still might.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Do we count Souls games as ARPGs now? Interesting. I figured it's implicit when someone says ARPG here they mean 'isometric view Diablo clone'.

while I would put the souls games in the ARPG category they are certainly not what I think of when Someone says ARPG

to me the souls games are almost in their own little space
I dont see any any key!
"
astraph wrote:
The Souls Series fit the criteria of an ACTION Role Playing Game way more than PoE or Diablo does. Hell, even Skyrim does, since on Skyrim you target, dodge, block MANUALLY and it is not based on stats like on a clasic RPG. The Witcher as well (and even more than Skyrim for that matter).

To me Diablo clones are hardly ARPGs, but rather clasic RPGs, but faster and with a single hero instead of a team. We could have a long philosophical discussion on what defines an RPG or an ARPG, but practically, on video games, it ARPG is a game that combines combat gameplay of an action game, with RPG elements. To me this means that the more your character relies on his stats and gear, the more RPG the game is. The more it relies on your manual actions, the more Action it is.

It is a general trend in this forum, and on hardcore Diablo fans in general to call ARPGs mostly Diablo clone games. This is not the case on other forums or other gamers however. Not in the least. If you ask a non Diablo fan gamer, on what genre Skyrim falls into, he will most likely reply "Action RPG". Wikipedia will tell you the same thing: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open world action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks.

For the Soul Series specifically, i have said it before. To me they are on the ARPG genre for this decade, what Diablo II was for the previous. They created the new standard.

Id consider Skyrim more of a sandbox RPG than an Action RPG
I dont see any any key!
"
frenzul wrote:
...That said, since the league is winding down, I did almost consider picking up Diablo 1 this weekend since I had never beat it. I still might.

Do it.

The Diablo Battlechest is still being produced and can still be found on the shelf. It's got D1 and D2 + the expansion.

Go get ATMA, too, so you can have an unlimited storage chest for your collection of uber lewts. :) Blizzard is still supporting D2 and still putting out patches for it.

Then, have yourself a Diablofest weekend, maybe get a few friends together for that unique Diablo multiplayer experience.

I have yet to find an ARPG that is "better" than those games. Diablo 3 is great, but it's just not quite the same sort of game as those. Torchlight is great, too, but... Yeah, the artstyle and "something else" just doesn't appear to me as much.

I'd probably really like a good steampunkish isometric ARPG. But, there's nothing out there that's really ready to try, yet, IMO. A Fallout 2 ARPG would be ideal and maybe even one of the old party-based RPG games turned into an ARPG would be good, too.
ARPG to me is almost immediately tied to the Diablo style loot and RNG out the ass. Yea man. I want to find an amazing bow on it that has strength, rendering it completely useless. That way when you do find something perfect, it's all the more sweet.

Souls games are not that, to me. I love the games, but I absolutely hate that the gear is all statically located - and the same. If it had random loot, ooooooh baby sign me right up.

That said, I am excited for the remastered game that's on its way.
"
Morkonan wrote:

Do it.

The Diablo Battlechest is still being produced and can still be found on the shelf. It's got D1 and D2 + the expansion.

Go get ATMA, too, so you can have an unlimited storage chest for your collection of uber lewts. :) Blizzard is still supporting D2 and still putting out patches for it.

Then, have yourself a Diablofest weekend, maybe get a few friends together for that unique Diablo multiplayer experience.

Actually, I picked up D2 last summer and played it for the first time ever. That was need. I didn't get the expansion for it though as I was told it was flooded with scammers or something? I don't know. It was pretty okay but was ruined when someone gave me a ton of the best loot that I needed. That really kills arpgs for me. The game is about getting loot, don't give me the best stuff. I think that's why I have such a hard time making myself trade on POE. I want to find it.

I wish I had friends that played ARPGs. Ive been begging them to play POE for years. The few that have tried, uninstalled it the following day.
"
frenzul wrote:
"
Morkonan wrote:

Do it.

Actually, I picked up D2 last summer and played it for the first time ever. That was need. I didn't get the expansion for it though as I was told it was flooded with scammers or something? I don't know. It was pretty okay but was ruined when someone gave me a ton of the best loot that I needed. That really kills arpgs for me. The game is about getting loot, don't give me the best stuff. I think that's why I have such a hard time making myself trade on POE. I want to find it...

I understand. But... it's an awesome game! Just refuse stuff from other players. And, play solo if you need to. There are also still "guilds" or "clans" out there that don't condone hacks and the like. In short - There are plenty of people for you to play with, just spend some time looking for the most reputable groups.

As far as "scammers" and such in the Lord of Destruction pack? Thats... nonsense. You don't have to play with anyone at all if you don't want to. I am sure there are scammers selling hacked items somewhere, but that's true of any multiplayer game where they can figure out how to hack an item... The expansion, itself, doesn't make that happen.

Just grab the Battlechest. It's out there, on the shelf, in real stores an' everythin'. :) If you're in the US, you can find it in Wallmart, Best Buy and wherever PC games are sold. You can buy it on Amazon or get it from the source - https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/family/diablo-ii

The point being - I agree, it's much more fun to find the loot, yourself. So, just do that. And, if you want to play with others, look for good groups to join. Some great advice, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/52322v/starting_up_diablo_ii_lod_again_after_a_decade/ (There's also D2 specific reddits and plenthy of websites.)

You can play "Solo" and not even touch Battlenet. You can also take your solo character into mulitplayer too, if you wish. You just can't start on Multiplayer and then move to solo. There are still ladders, still hardcore, if that's your thing, and still lots of legit groups of players out there.
I'm not sure I enjoyed D2 enough.. well, I hated leveling and making it through the acts. That may have just been the class or something. Once I got to whirlwind and had some leech, it was fun and I could farm stuff.

Oh dude. The desert. Those bugs that cast spark when you hit them. Just absolute cancer for a barbarian lol.

I played the hell out of D3. I think I have 6 copies of it and I gave one away. I'm sad with how it's turned out though. The power creep is so severe with paragon levels. There is zero risk of death even in hardcore.

I miss the original state of the game when you'd go to your favorite area (festering woods for me) and farm rare mobs. I made decent money on their RMAH while I was finishing college. Sold a Skorn for $250. It was nice man.
"
frenzul wrote:
I miss the original state of the game when you'd go to your favorite area (festering woods for me) and farm rare mobs. I made decent money on their RMAH while I was finishing college. Sold a Skorn for $250. It was nice man.

Lol, gratz!

I hated the marketplace system. I got the collector's edition, installed, booted up and played with friends from about day 3 or so, on. It was fun, but I felt like I was only playing for the marketplace, not for "me."

"Gotta find something to sell so I can get the item I need."

I hated that. And, to some extent, I greatly dislike that in PoE, too.

But, what I hated most was zoning into a zone that was appropriate for my level and getting wtf-pwnd by a wild pack of demons with fast,waller,lightning,teleport/rapist/mugger/molester affixes out the wazoo... How in the heck am I supposed to "play" when, all of a sudden, the game decides that "You will die, over and over, right here, right now, unless you don't play." :/

Farming items in D3 was a mess and "balance" was nonexistent. Being a slave to the market, where your only hope was to find something in-game to sell on the market to get what you needed, was just plain terrible. It was not a proper "Diablo III" experience, with farming locked down to /random-lol-u-ded.

D3, now, is actually better than the release. BUT, it's not really "Dialbo" old-school. It's all about the ladders. If you're not pushing the ladders, you're simply not playing "the game." It's still a great multiplayer game, but it just gets old after awhile and the various builds that are viable for end-game play, climbing ladders, aren't very numerous.

And, if you don't have a four-man group to farm bounties and crush through speedrunning higher level rifts to get your needed affixes, climbing the top-end of the ladder is very difficult, if not impossible in the very top ranks. I don't recall anyone in the top 3 not also being in a regular four-person group that farmed and pushed that content, as well.

/sigh

PoE is the better ARPG, but lacks some of the better things about multiplayer play in Diablo 3, IMO.
I really liked the way original D3 release was, but that's only for the money. My job was inadequate so selling a bunch of rings at $5/ea was quite helpful at the time.

I loved the monster affixes lol. It didn't matter what they had - waller was the worst. Can't tell you how many times they'd triangulate the walls and trap me over fire or something. Sure it's in a better state now as far as that is concerned but I enjoyed it.

I'd still play the hell out of it, I just can't when there is no fear of dying in hardcore. I bought the necromancer update, leveled him up to paragon in a few hours and that was the last I touched it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info