whats with people boycotting supporter packs?

"
diablofdb wrote:
<message deleted by tencent>

OH God its happening already!!
I dont see any any key!
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
So basically people don't want to support them because of the new company. I get that to a point. However I couldn't care less about the original owners of GGG, Tencent, etc. I do care about the employees whose livelihood still revolves around POE. I always bought supporter packs for them as much as anything else. That doesn't change because of who owns controlling shares in GGG. Those guys depend on the income for GGG to get paid. If GGG becomes less profitable, then those people suffer.

So I will continue to support them as always. Not saying I am happy about the new investment, but I understand why.

And now you understand a great deal of the bitterness and frustration with decisions like this the gaming world over.

I don't mind paying Grinding Gear for their work. Never really have. If they make stuff I liked, I bought it. If I really dug a league I'd buy a pack for that league, or one of the new hat things. That worked out. GGG makes something I enjoy, I pay them for it. Process continues.

Now? If people don't pay up, Grinding Gear suffers and we lose our game. That sucks. If they do pay up, though? They're paying Tencent to some extent or other, rather than paying Grinding Gear. Unlike other people, I'm educated enough to know that eighty percent controlling share doesn't mean Tencent now gets eight of every ten dollars Grinding Gear makes. They do, however, get something from every dollar Grinding Gear makes, with the understanding that GGG will make more dollars overall with Tencent's support than they would without it. This is supposed to translate into more dollars for them and more game for us.

The issue is that I don't want Tencent to get one single cent from me. I don't approve of their business policies, and when I disapprove of a business' policies I attempt to minimize the amount of business I do with them. Unfortunately, I cannot minimize the amount of business I do with Tencent now without also minimizing the amount of business I do with Grinding Gear.

It blows ass that I have to make that judgment call every time I buy a points pack or consider indulging a supporter pack now, but I do. "Is this cool thing worth supporting Chinese EA?" That's a terrible question to ask someone, but it's the question we all get to ask every time we crack open the wallet now because GGG has just made themselves indistinguishable from Chinese EA in a financial sense.

It's impossible to support Grinding Gear without supporting Tencent now. That sucks. It makes me upset, and I'm one of those who doesn't automatically believe a developer is evil for signing with a publisher so they can eat. I'm well aware that when gamers boycott a game because of a bad publisher, it's the developer that suffers, not the publisher. We have no way whatsoever of telling Tencent to fuck off with themselves and get the goddamned hell out of our PoE, and that fact will drive some folks into bitterness-induced decisions to avoid ever paying Grinding Gear for their work again.

That's what GGG agreed to when they surrendered control/possession of their company to Chinese EA. I'm willing to cut Chris a check. I am significantly less willing to cut Tencent a check. I no longer get to do the former, and if Chris thinks I'll happily do the latter without reservation he made an error in judgment.
For me there will never ever be a donation to Tencent. They are the Chinese governments "social-score" keepers on the internet. I will never support that, EVER. (and thats not even mentioning all their other shady shit)

Ohh, and they are also part owners of Acti/blizzard.
I ve stopped supporting GGG a while ago, however that was due to completely other reasons, based on the ridicilous clear speed meta, its power creep and the lack of rewards for challenging content, leading to a game being a braindead shoot fest. I believe if people are happy with what PoE is right now then there is no need to stop supporting the game unless if you are not happy with it. We don't know what will happen to PoE when Tencent starts pulling the strings(they certainly will at one point) and I understand the concerns people are addressing atm. However, boycotting supporter packs won't do any good for GGG and that's what exactly going to end Poe, not Tencent, not GGG and its business decisions but the supporters who never gave a chance to a new business model that GGG has decided to roll with.

TL;DR If you are happy with the game then why stop supporting? Does it really matter if you are supporting GGG or its chinese sponsor if the quality of the game remains the same?
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
I ve stopped supporting GGG a while ago, however that was due to completely other reasons, based on the ridicilous clear speed meta, its power creep and the lack of rewards for challenging content, leading to a game being a braindead shoot fest. I believe if people are happy with what PoE is right now then there is no need to stop supporting the game unless if you are not happy with it. We don't know what will happen to PoE when Tencent starts pulling the strings(they certainly will at one point) and I understand the concerns people are addressing atm. However, boycotting supporter packs won't do any good for GGG and that's what exactly going to end Poe, not Tencent, not GGG and its business decisions but the supporters who never gave a chance to a new business model that GGG has decided to roll with.

TL;DR If you are happy with the game then why stop supporting? Does it really matter if you are supporting GGG or its chinese sponsor if the quality of the game remains the same?

Ofc it does. What causes you support really matters. Or do you prefer to buy your oil/gasoline from ISIS instead of a normal oil company?
"
Zhatan wrote:
"
Dr1MaR wrote:

Ofc it does. What causes you support really matters. Or do you prefer to buy your oil/gasoline from ISIS instead of a normal oil company?

whoa nelly, slow down there Richard Lionheart. The days of the crusades are long over.

I just want to see continued development of a game that I've liked so far, and not see it go under because of a bunch of angry people who care too much about where some money came from.
1337 21gn17ur3
"
Zhatan wrote:
"
Dr1MaR wrote:

How do you know ISIS does not secrectly work with USA and actually selling you that oil and you just never knew about it? What if ISIS was funded by the USA? Also, I think "normal" oil companies as you call them, are not any better than ISIS, they rule the market any way they want, dominating the economy, they are all just as dirty.

Anyway, back to the topic, no, it still doesn't matter. What you are getting is a product that you are whether happy about or not. How is that going to affect you getting from point A to point B if the oil was sold to you by ISIS if the oil was exactly same?
Now, I'll correct myself, sure there will be changes to the game, it won't be the same as it wasn't same 2 years ago, so to speak. What I m saying is we don't know Tencent's agenda, we only can speculate and make assumptions and sure, we have the rights to do it, especially those who have invested thousands of dollars to GGG, however completely abandonding the game just because you don't like the company that now pretty much owns it without any adequate reasoning don't make much sense to me tbh. I think we first should see action and then base our opinion on that action instead of just panicking therefore ruining the game before it has any chance to redeem itself.
"
whoa nelly, slow down there Richard Lionheart. The days of the crusades are long over.

I just want to see continued development of a game that I've liked so far, and not see it go under because of a bunch of angry people who care too much about where some money came from.

If anything I was always rather critical towards GGG than most of the people here on forum. I m not whiteknighting them right now, just trying to make some sense, hello? What is happening here on forum, reddit, streamer's twitch chats is way out of hand imo. This is basically self inflicted unnecessary chaos that people intensify upon themselves, I m just not buying into it, sorry. To me the game died like since like 2.2 patch, yet I saw the game didn't die for many others and was even more supported than ever before. What has changed to the game right now? Exactly right now, at this moment?
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
"

If anything I was always rather critical towards GGG than most of the people here on forum. I m not whiteknighting them right now, just trying to make some sense, hello? What is happening here on forum, reddit, streamer's twitch chats is way out of hand imo. This is basically self inflicted unnecessary chaos that people intensify upon themselves, I m just not buying into it, sorry. To me the game died like since like 2.2 patch, yet I saw the game didn't die for many others and was even more supported than ever before. What has changed to the game right now? Exactly right now, at this moment?

GGG sold out to the evil chinese gubberment, china numba wan, no more supporter packs, diablo 4 when???

This is GGG's community in a nutshell right now, and it sorely disappoints me. I remember when players used to love helping one another back in the days of the closed and open betas, but now it's like if one thing changes, some thousands of persons bring out the pitchforks and torches to scream about the end of the world. Nowadays it's less about "what use can this new unique do" than "wow another alch fodder dis gaem sux", and this is just one example.
1337 21gn17ur3
"MTX Packs"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info