[Help] Couple newbie questions

I'm really new to PoE, I came from D3, decided to give PoE a shot and I'm loving it. I played for a couple days on Bestiary League and got to about lvl60. But now I'm getting pretty confused about some things (they are pretty random):

1) How do you know an item is good? Are there any stats that are good in general, like HP, DPS...?

2) How do you know an item is valuable?
I've seen a lot of videos of people flipping out when they get something but I just have no clue why that particular item is so good.

3) What do most people do in end game?
(I plan to play on the Incursion Softcore)

4) Whats the difference between a regular item and a corrupted one?

5) Any youtube/twitch channels I should follow to learn more?

6) What tip would you give for a new player?

Thanks for whoever can help : )
Last bumped on May 20, 2018, 11:59:34 PM
Hi friend,

Welcome to Wraeclast!

When it comes to which items are good / valuable - the two tend to go hand-in-hand - there really is no substitute for playing for a long time and trying a lot of builds. One thing which you can do is install a loot filter, which will hide some items it considers not worth looking at, and change the size / colour of item names it wishes to highlight as being particularly worthy of your attention.

Typically for newcomers I recommend the Semi-Strict filter by NeverSink with the Slick theme. Here’s a link. When you’ve extracted the files, you can throw the .filter file of your choice into the /Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/ folder and enable it in the game’s options menu.

The endgame in Path of Exile revolves around Maps. Some people try to do every Map in the game, some set themselves the goal of beating the Uber Elder fight, some people farm specific areas for currency (e.g. the Endgame Lab, Uber Atziri), and others focus on completing challenges to earn exclusive MTX. The challenges are a good way of setting goals, but some are very tedious.

A corrupted item cannot be modified using currency.

People who create helpful content on YouTube / Twitch include;

One of the best tips I could give you is to make up your own mind when it comes to build guides. Whether you “should” use one for your first few characters is one of the most controversial debates on the forum. Some people passionately believe that you should go your own way, accept that your first few characters will abruptly hit brick walls in terms of progression, and that this is just part of the game. Others say that Path of Exile has a lot of mechanics, systems, and boss fights to learn and that it makes sense to follow a build guide for your first 2-3 characters to break up the learning experience into manageable chunks. The two sides will never see eye-to-eye on this, so pick whichever sounds better to you. You’re most qualified to judge which approach you’d prefer. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
Hi friend,

Welcome to Wraeclast!

When it comes to which items are good / valuable - the two tend to go hand-in-hand - there really is no substitute for playing for a long time and trying a lot of builds. One thing which you can do is install a loot filter, which will hide some items it considers not worth looking at, and change the size / colour of item names it wishes to highlight as being particularly worthy of your attention.

Typically for newcomers I recommend the Semi-Strict filter by NeverSink with the Slick theme. Here’s a link. When you’ve extracted the files, you can throw the .filter file of your choice into the /Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/ folder and enable it in the game’s options menu.

The endgame in Path of Exile revolves around Maps. Some people try to do every Map in the game, some set themselves the goal of beating the Uber Elder fight, some people farm specific areas for currency (e.g. the Endgame Lab, Uber Atziri), and others focus on completing challenges to earn exclusive MTX. The challenges are a good way of setting goals, but some are very tedious.

A corrupted item cannot be modified using currency.

People who create helpful content on YouTube / Twitch include;

One of the best tips I could give you is to make up your own mind when it comes to build guides. Whether you “should” use one for your first few characters is one of the most controversial debates on the forum. Some people passionately believe that you should go your own way, accept that your first few characters will abruptly hit brick walls in terms of progression, and that this is just part of the game. Others say that Path of Exile has a lot of mechanics, systems, and boss fights to learn and that it makes sense to follow a build guide for your first 2-3 characters to break up the learning experience into manageable chunks. The two sides will never see eye-to-eye on this, so pick whichever sounds better to you. You’re most qualified to judge which approach you’d prefer. :)

Wow thanks a lot for the very informative answer.

Tbh I wanted to make my own character, build and playstyle, but after playing a while I got so overwhelmed but the amount of options and paths that I can take that I feel I'm losing my time doing something that will very likely be trash in the end.

But in the other hand I feel like just following a build guide I'm missing so much I could be learning by making my own. Its really hard to decide what to do.
If you want to make your own builds and are keen on learning, I suggest going your way. Make different builds, use wiki to read on skill and other stuff related you your build mechanics. If you do that, every new character you make will be better. But it takes some time.

Problem of following guides is that as you watch related videos, your expectations can be set too high. Popular guide makers showcase well-made characters with godly gear. When following a build, you will have to make some compromises and without solid game knowledge, you will not be able to recognize what is important and what makes that build so strong. This forum subsection is full of people with terrible characters who say that "they followed the guide and have ALMOST the same character as guide maker"..

or maybe Im just one of the guys from "self-made-man" group Sarno was talking about:)

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on May 20, 2018, 4:40:03 PM
"
Ludvator wrote:
If you want to make your own builds and are keen on learning, I suggest going your way. Make different builds, use wiki to read on skill and other stuff related you your build mechanics. If you do that, every new character you make will be better. But it takes some time.

Problem of following guides is that as you watch related videos, your expectations can be set too high. Popular guide makers showcase well-made characters with godly gear. When following a build, you will have to make some compromises and without solid game knowledge, you will not be able to recognize what is important and what makes that build so strong. This forum subsection is full of people with terrible characters who say that "they followed the guide and have ALMOST the same character as guide maker"..

or maybe Im just one of the guys from "self-made-man" group Sarno was talking about:)

If I were to make a build, what basics should I follow?

I know that I need to cap my resistances and try to build around a specific set of skill gems.

Are there any other general tips?

(I will try to use Path of Building before jumping into a character)
well thats kind of complicated question

You can build around many things. certain mechanics, unique item property, synergy of keystone/ascendancy passives/unique item you want to exploit and get the most out of it. or you can simply build around a skill you like and think what class, items, playstyle, defenses would fit it the most.

you are basically trying to find best possible synergy across the board. passives, items, playstyle, everything.. which is well, impossible to do effectively without some overall knowledge of existing possibilities and game encounters.

I know this answer is generic and does not help you at all. Any example of build theorycrafting would be very long post which I dont have time to write now (and not sure if you would understand it).

edit: you can try to ask for feedback on your first character so that you can better learn from (maybe not so obvious) mistakes (allow people to see it in privacy settings). Actually making it to lvl 60+ with your first char without any guide or help is not bad at all. My first char hit the wall at lvl 30 :) (although the game was completely different those days)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on May 20, 2018, 5:47:51 PM
Check PoE Trade or the website provided by GGG to get your gear at the best price.

Find out the top 4 masters you should level based on the build you want to do.

Learn useful recipes such as the one that makes a phys weapon.

From Act 10 onwards, can start doing chaos recipe. Then stop when you can clear fast in maps. By then, do the exalt shard recipe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info