upgrading my pc, any tech savi people?

So i was thinking about upgrading my pc and i was wondering could i possibly add/replace parts in my current one or would it be best to simply assemble from scratch?

My current pc is like eight years old and consist's of at that time period older parts(cost efficient at the time)

some info

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55A-UD4
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16376MB RAM
Page File: 6065MB used, 26683MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
Display Memory: 4041 MB
Dedicated Memory: 714 MB
Shared Memory: 3327 MB

I'm pretty amazed it can still run PoE even after all this time given how it increased in intensity over the years and since it's the only program i would be updating for it would be helpful to know if just adding something like a new video card and SDD hard drive would suffice.

Or if i should consider just building from the ground up and going for an entirely new pc.

Any thoughts are apreciated.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last bumped on May 17, 2018, 12:43:03 PM
You are getting to the point where your Processor is outdated therefore its time to move on to a new PC
I dont see any any key!
I asked this same question a month or so ago and it got more confusing than anything. Ended up buying a new desktop from Amazon for like $800 and it's fantastic. Although, anything would've been better than the one I was using.
Well i'm going to visit the place that build my current pc tomorrow and just gonna ask them directly.

just thought perhaps some people in OT would have some initial info for me.

Peace,

-Boem-
I'm not very tech savy but I can tell you for a fact if you're only upgrading for PoE, don't expect miracles. I went from a system that was about 5 years old (though better than what you listed) and went top of the line big dik new hardware and barely saw a difference. The game is just poorly optimized so some issues aren't fixable.

But I do agree with k1rage where you're at a point where bandaids won't help and you need to rebuild.
No point in upgrading, start from scratch.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
gotten a couple pc's from these guys. pretty decent quality and pretty cheap (on-par, if not cheaper with all the freebies, than building yourself). https://www.ibuypower.com/

play around with a few different presets they have. some parts are limited to different bases, so you might find a better deal.

seems like they currently have the offer I took 6+ months ago:
free 2tb hdd and free upgrade from 8gb to 16gb ram. I'm seeing a thing about a free 1080 upgrade? :o
Spoiler
rawr. fear me.
You dont need to upgrade anything but get a good SSD like a samsung pro.

Dont listen to these guys wanting to waste your money. I play endgame (uber elder/UZiri) on a dell business laptop. CPU and GPU is no issue its all about data and delivery speed and I have a $300 SSD

desktop version (which is better)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADF5NK2886&cm_re=samsung_ssd_pro-_-9SIAADF5NK2886-_-Product

Even if I am wrong, which I am not, you can use this in new system

Try this first. the 500GB version is more
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 16, 2018, 7:34:09 PM
Get a hardware monitor and look for yourself. Otherwise, you are randomly upgrading.

For my computer, POE is hungry for single core performance. I have 4 cores and only 1 gets maxed.

You should have enough RAM to run a RAM disk. That can be an option other than SDD.
So basically i went today and the guy advised me to get the following.

New SSD hard drive(install windows 10 clean --> from windows 7, how i will miss you)
Allocate all of my programs on the SSD

Upgrade my gpu from the gtx 460 to a geforce gtx 1050 4gb aero itx if i got the name right.

He said the processor was still up to date being an i7 and wouldn't be noticeable to change out.

So basically he suggested what my gut feeling was.(get an SSD and a new graphics card to match the times)

Obviously it's going in and getting a full check-up to test all of my hardware for performance issue's, it being an eight year old pc and all.

Thanks for all the input guys, maybe i'll keep you guys updated when i get my pc back with the new parts and how it handles PoE then? Perhaps a reference point for others in the future?

Peace,

-Boem-

edit :

"
Aim_Deep wrote:

desktop version (which is better)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADF5NK2886&cm_re=samsung_ssd_pro-_-9SIAADF5NK2886-_-Product

Hah! When i was talking with him and we where discussing an SSD drive since i'm using the rig for gaming i heard him mumble "samsung" while searching for potential parts. It's gonna be a 500gb one so i'm looking forward to see the difference between a hdd and ssd, since every time i see a discussion about it the ssd get's a lot of praise for PoE performance.(being so asset load hungry and all)
Last edited by Boem on May 17, 2018, 10:12:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info