IMSilver's top 3 taboo/weird meats

So in my travels, I have eaten a lot of different animals that would be frowned upon in my home country. A lot of it wasn't very good, admittedly, but there a few which make me wonder why they aren't eaten more often like cows or chicken.

3. Dog. Tastes kind of like beef but more springy and stretchy and its distinct taste is stronger. Very edible. If there was an apocalyptic situation I can definitely see the neighbourhood dogs being eaten after a bit of hesitance.

2. Pigeon. Like wow. This is like a chicken but the chicken flavour is more intense. If only each pigeon had more meat on it. I highly recommend you to try this some time.

1. Dolphin. O M G. You have to try this in Japan. It's like a perfect beefy fish with an incredible texture that just melted in my mouth but was meaty enough that I still had to chew. At least the way it was cooked for me. 100% recommended.

What about you guys?

Last edited by IMSilver on May 3, 2018, 8:20:30 PM
Last bumped on May 23, 2018, 2:38:35 PM
I have not had many exotic meats, really. But I already know that I'd eat any animal that was cooked properly.

Perhaps the strangest things I've eaten, though considerably more tame than dolphin, are:

Snail - Different. Can't place whether I like or dislike this. Escargot has a certain texture and flavor that make it unique, but it isn't something I would repeatedly pay money for. I've tried it, that's enough for me.

Frog - Enjoyable, unique. I know it's cliché, by now, to say things "taste like chicken", but frog legs taste like a fishy chicken. They're a bit more chewy or gummy than you'd expect chicken to be, though. Just like chicken, they can be cooked with a variety of spices to make different flavors.

Alligator - ????? It's gamey. It's tough and chewy (though maybe the times I've eaten it, it was not cooked right) if you don't marinade it long enough. I enjoy it when I can, but don't go out of my way to buy it when I can purchase a steak.
Bring back race seasons.
"
IMSilver wrote:

1. Dolphin. O M G. You have to try this in Japan. It's like a perfect beefy fish with an incredible texture that just melted in my mouth but was meaty enough that I still had to chew. At least the way it was cooked for me. 100% recommended.

What about you guys?

I have to second dolphin. Have you noticed on some tuna packets, they mark some as being dolphin free? Anyway, I buy the tuna that doesn't claim to be dolphin free. I think it tastes better. Dolphin in your tuna is like bacon on your hamburger. Which is why I boycott dolphin free tuna.

If you like dolphin meat, you should take a vacation to the Faroe Islands, every year they have a dolphin slaughter fest. I went 4 years ago, and it was the most fun I ever had with my pants on. I met a really nice Faroe Islands chick when I was there too. She saw how much effort I was putting into a part of their culture, and she thought it was sexy. We had hot sex in the shower, after both of us got covered in dolphin blood. SJWs and animal rights activists live in a box.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on May 8, 2018, 8:29:01 PM
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:

Alligator - ????? It's gamey. It's tough and chewy (though maybe the times I've eaten it, it was not cooked right) if you don't marinade it long enough. I enjoy it when I can, but don't go out of my way to buy it when I can purchase a steak.

Was it gator tail you ate? The tail is the best part, everything else is kinda tough. The people who cook it properly tenderize the hell out of it, and marinate it to remove some of the gamey flavor.

The fried gator tail I ate was really tender. It was breaded like fried chicken tenders. They said they pressure cooked the gator tail before dipping it in batter and frying it. I could tell they used a little vinegar in the marinade. A splash of vinegar in the marinate will do the trick to get rid of some of the gamey flavor.
Pigeon, alligator and frogs are damn tasty! Not tried dolphin yet but sounds like it will be worth a try. Had whale from a faroese guy, it was nice but not that spectacular that I would go out of my way to eat it again.
Some meats I would highly recommend trying if you haven't:
- horse (all time favourite, excellent taste and so tender it just melts in your mouth)
- zebra (surprisingly doesn't taste like horse at all, but worth tasting)
- buffalo (just a better version of steak, just like buffalo mozarella is superior to regular mozarella)
- kangaroo (lean and tasty)

whatever you do, stay away from hakarl (icelandic rotten shark), that is the grossest thing I ever tried to eat. seriously, who in their right mind ever thought that would be a good idea??
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:

Was it gator tail you ate? The tail is the best part, everything else is kinda tough. The people who cook it properly tenderize the hell out of it, and marinate it to remove some of the gamey flavor.

The fried gator tail I ate was really tender. It was breaded like fried chicken tenders. They said they pressure cooked the gator tail before dipping it in batter and frying it. I could tell they used a little vinegar in the marinade. A splash of vinegar in the marinate will do the trick to get rid of some of the gamey flavor.

I've eaten it three times, twice at a restaurant, and a third time after buying tail myself and marinading it on my own. Which removed a lot of the gamey flavor and make it tender.

When I bought it on my own, it was tail, but I can't speak for what part of the animal it came from when I bought it at restaurants.

The marinade I used, as told to do by family down in Louisiana, was to use buttermilk with some spice, and cook it with some vinegar. Both worked like a charm. I can only assume that the cook preparing it in Missouri had no idea what they were doing with this exotic meat they were given.
Bring back race seasons.
Last edited by AbdulAlhazred on May 9, 2018, 8:43:15 AM
How is pidgeon even considered taboo meat (in the west)? Lots of people eat it as far as I know. Especially hunter types.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
How is pidgeon even considered taboo meat (in the west)? Lots of people eat it as far as I know. Especially hunter types.

I mentioned it to my friends once and they were like "dude are you sure they're safe to eat?"
There is a certain type of person that is skittish about any non trad foods. Probably an evolutionary reason, if you think on it.

This is their motto:

"I will eat fish, I will eat meat, but there is some shit I will not eat"

Probably true, to a certain extent, of nearly everyone.
Censored.
Hedgehog meat is very chewy, not much taste. Some gypsy friends hunt them and I tasted once.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info