(Why) Does MF equal Wands or Bow?

Hey there,

I'm wondering what I will play in the Flashback event. It is between an MF archer and a Reave Champion. I'd rather play the latter but I also think this event should be a good time to farm some currency for my ultimate goal of having a HH some day.

So except for the conditional quant bonus on Windripper, what do bow builds have over melee builds that makes them more suitable to wear quant gear with no stats?
Last bumped on May 2, 2018, 11:14:57 AM
"
Solmyr77 wrote:

So except for the conditional quant bonus on Windripper, what do bow builds have over melee builds that makes them more suitable to wear quant gear with no stats?

..range?
MF will go at the cost of survivability, since you're gonna use things like bisco's and ventors rings that are probably gonna be suboptimal in a short league like this one.

With a ranged char you have the luxury of ignoring survivability, because you will kill things before they reach you. As a melee, you don't have that luxury.
Last edited by bablo on May 2, 2018, 10:34:58 AM
"
bablo wrote:
MF will go at the cost of survivability, since you're gonna use things like bisco's and ventors rings that are probably gonna be suboptimal in a short league like this one.

With a ranged char you have the luxury of ignoring survivability, because you will kill things before they reach you. As a melee, you don't have that luxury.

Well said. Succinct and accurate. Wish I could put a star on your post or something :)
OCEANIC EXILES https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/581434
"
bablo wrote:

Thank you. The natural advantage of range over melee is clear to me, but you're right to point it out.

But how "melee'ish" are skills like Sunder or Reave really? And are mobs actually dangerous in the non-swimmer pool that is T3 Burial Chambers?
"
Solmyr77 wrote:
"
bablo wrote:

Thank you. The natural advantage of range over melee is clear to me, but you're right to point it out.

But how "melee'ish" are skills like Sunder or Reave really? And are mobs actually dangerous in the non-swimmer pool that is T3 Burial Chambers?

Sunder, Reave and "Cleave" which I play this league are all 100% melee.

Remember this, those who opt for high end MF gear, sacrifice DPS and survival stats (hell if you choose to 109 ele for ele weak you gimp your build for damage) but we do this for affordability of maps)

You need to ask yourself this: Do I want a build that can do ALL CONTENT (like Cleave that I play) or do I want something to farm to a certain level (perhaps Flicker or whatever).

I tend to make one or two char per league, some people make 15.... each to his own.

Provided we all have fun and achieve the goals we set for ourselves, I guess it is all good.
In the case of bows its usually because windripper is very viable and is actually a quantity bonus, in the case of wands its because KB is the best pack clearing skill by a huge margin its actually silly how good it is :p as a result it does insane clear with no gear (so you can wear MF everywhere)
Last edited by Draegnarrr on May 2, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
"
VenGanZa9 wrote:

Remember this, those who opt for high end MF gear, sacrifice DPS and survival stats (hell if you choose to 109 ele for ele weak you gimp your build for damage) but we do this for affordability of maps)

You need to ask yourself this: Do I want a build that can do ALL CONTENT (like Cleave that I play) or do I want something to farm to a certain level (perhaps Flicker or whatever).

I tend to make one or two char per league, some people make 15.... each to his own.

Provided we all have fun and achieve the goals we set for ourselves, I guess it is all good.

Well, I usually prefer "all content" chars and despite that low challenge score I have killed everything but Uber Elder in this and the previous leagues.

However I'd like to try that T3 Burial Chambers with lots of quantity approach.

Regarding the "melee'ish" aspect of those skills, I think we have a different understanding of that. Take Sunder for example. You use it and mobs in Africa get hit without ever touching you. That's not really "melee" by my standards. Cyclone on the other hand obviously has much higher defensive needs because you actually fight in melee range.

How do you think your Jugger would fare in T3 if you'd equip Sadimas, Goldwyrm etc?
"
Solmyr77 wrote:
"
VenGanZa9 wrote:

Well, I usually prefer "all content" chars and despite that low challenge score I have killed everything but Uber Elder in this and the previous leagues.

However I'd like to try that T3 Burial Chambers with lots of quantity approach.

Regarding the "melee'ish" aspect of those skills, I think we have a different understanding of that. Take Sunder for example. You use it and mobs in Africa get hit without ever touching you. That's not really "melee" by my standards. Cyclone on the other hand obviously has much higher defensive needs because you actually fight in melee range.

How do you think your Jugger would fare in T3 if you'd equip Sadimas, Goldwyrm etc?

Jugg THICCNESS... T3 burial? Easy peasy mate

Gratz on all content except (idiot uber elder) I never judge on challenges, but fucking nice mate, props to you!

Sunder is melee btw, you need to be well in range of attacks. Played it a few times. Strong skill (although it has been nerfed)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info