Lightning Warp Templar.

Just playing with an idea here guys. Lightning Warp has a nice base damage, and I thought, hey, if we could get enough increased aoe, and move speed, it -could- be a viable skill.

So I threw together a build. Here it is.

This would utilize lightning warp in a 5 link: Lightning Warp, Increased AOE, Conc Effect, Faster Casting, Lightning Penetration. If you had a 6l, you -could- Life Leech/Mana Leech to it.

It would utilize these auras: Haste, Determination, Purity, Grace (cast on your hp bar with a blood magic gem), and Clarity. If you had enough mana, you -could- use Discipline (a bigger ES buffer would always be nice.)

You would be wise to use a Decoy Totem/skelly totem to group the monsters up, or a spark/lightning strike totem to add shock stacks quicker, and I thought it would be funny to use a lightning warp totem.

For the gems, you would HAVE to have a quality Lightning Warp (adds cast speed), Faster Casting would need to be quality for more cast speed, increased AOE would HAVE to be quality for more AOE, and lightning pen for more lightning damage. Conc Effect does not need to be quality, it adds reduced mana cost.

You would also need a high quality reduced mana gem for your auras, as 3 of them are 40%s.

For gear, you would aim for armor/es gear. I say this because armor weighs you down, going full armor gear would slow you down too much, which increases the time it would take to lightning warp. Armor/ES gear still will, though not too much. You -could- alter this build to use CI, though I felt with CI letting you get stunned/shocked/chilled so easily atm, it would be bad for this character considering you would be warping right into the middle of everything.

Max resists would be required. High armor as well. You would be very reliant on your potions. I would recommend 1 seething of heat life, 1 surgens of warding life, 1 surgens of iron skin granite, 2 surgens of adrenaline quicksilver.

In combat, you would drop a totem, then granite, quicksilver, then warp into the pack, cast another warp and cast enduring cry as it triggers. Lighting Warp has a minimum distance you HAVE to move (and with that quicksilver up, you should do it in split seconds) allowing you to just mash the button. If you're in danger, you can warp out, very very quickly. It allows you to warp over obstacles as well to do damage or escape.

For gear, I would recommend a high spell power/crit with spells/lightning damage wand, your most important stat is 30% move speed on your boots (this is 100% required). You should also try to pick up a decent amount of mana/mana regen, as you don't have much in your passive tree.

For the bandit quests, take 40 hp from oak, then kill all, and for the last one, you can either choose to take the endurance charge, or kill all. If you kill all, pick up either Spell Power in the shadow tree, or Deep Wisdom in the witch tree.

I picked up dual curse, which you would use either conductivity(solo play)/elemental weakness(for group play), and Enfeeble or Temporal Chains. Its really to you which of those you use.

Shock duration is very important in this build, as you don't cast quite as fast as a sparker, so you need to be able to keep the monsters shocked long enough for you to cast again. You should hit hard enough to add a very long lasting shock, and your totem will help with keeping them that way.

I'm alterd this build for someone who would like to go CI:

You would take 2 skill points from the bandits, and either take a 3rd, or an endurance charge from merc. (This could work equally as well as either witch, templar, or shadow, I think it might work slightly better as witch, and MAYBE shadow, but I would have to test it out. If it did, it wouldn't be much of a difference at all.
"
Lighting Warp has a minimum distance you HAVE to move

This + the fact that you have to target where you place the next warp are going to cause you the most problems with this build.. you will
A. loose a lot of dmg not being able to just warp right on top of yourself and
B. Get screwed when you misclick the distance on your warp fails while your in the mid of an elite pack of something like imp acc/crit chance
"
LTG wrote:
"
Lighting Warp has a minimum distance you HAVE to move

This + the fact that you have to target where you place the next warp are going to cause you the most problems with this build.. you will
A. loose a lot of dmg not being able to just warp right on top of yourself and
B. Get screwed when you misclick the distance on your warp fails while your in the mid of an elite pack of something like imp acc/crit chance

Just tried warping out a bit. If your mouse is on top of your character you will automatically warp to the closest area that is allowed around you. With enough increased AOE, your warp WILL hit any mob next to you with both procs, the one where you were, and the one where you go. With hardly any increased aoe and no gem for it, I was able to hit a mob with both.

Working on leveling up a guy for this. He's at 31 atm. Started him like right after I made that post. Shiversting makes leveling up soooo fast.

So B will never be a problem, cuz my warp -can't- fail.

As for A, again like I said, you can hit every mob with both damages, so I should actually gain damage by warping to my closest location. When I had the idea for this build, I didn't think I would be able to hit anything with BOTH aoes. I'm starting to have high hopes. As that means more shock stacks.
Hi. Im builded a Lightning Warp Templar on my own, and can give you some feedback for the downsides.

First of all, i dont think you will get much benefit from on hit effects since LW is a spell (correct me if im wrong). Secondly it consumes a lot of Mana, and with linked Support Gem the issue amplifies, so you will get easily OOM. With that there is no place for Auras either. Your build doesnt provide much survivability too. Even if you can jump fast enough, you will take damage and your Life Leech wont be that great to compensate the damage income, while at the same time you need to deal with Mana issues. Your Elemental Resistance is really low and this will a big problem too.

Here are my attend to solve this problem. If i get merciless i wanted to make a guide for the Templar but im not there. So it can change while im leveling up but this is my Passive Skill Tree: Link

The basic idea is to Lightning Warp to group of Enemys and deal AoE Damage to the Enemy. Righteous Fire will profit from this too and boosts the LW's damage. So basically you will deal when you warp in, warp out and with RF. The high HP gives me survivabilty and increases RF Damage. The downside is, that RF will deal a lot of damage to me.
To deal with the Buff selfdamage i put a lot of points in Elemental Resistance. Elemental Adaption will give me +5% max Elemental Resist.With Saffell's Frame you would increase the overall ER to 85% and get rid of the Block Chance. With LL on LW you will heal yourself in propotion to the enemys you will hit.
The second heal will come from flasks. My plan on flask is: One with increased Amount healed, longer duration and Movement Speed for healinng constantly against the RF Damage. It reduce the RF damage greatly but never will heal you on full HP while he needs a longer to do it too. That ensures that i have the Movement Speed Buff longer on me. The 2. Flask is QUicksilver with chill and froze remove and +1 Charge at critical strike. One Armour Flask with Curse heal and +1 Crit charge. Another Life flask with Movement Speed Crit and the last with Instant heal and Cure Burn, that will allow me to instaheal and stop RF. The Healflask will support with increased flask heal from the passive Tree.

Mana will come from Eldric Battery. That allows me to run 3-5 Auras:Clarity, Haste, Purity. Maybe add/change with Armour/Life Reg.
The high critical Chance on the Shadow Tree allows me to recharge the flasks faster and gives me more LL.

Gem Link should be:

LW + LL + AoE + Faster Casting + Reduced Manacost(Mana Leech) + Iron Will

Curse is Elemental Weakness.

So thats my build. I hope it helps. I need to adjust and test it for future balances in high level. Im starting to think maybe start at Witch will be more easier to progress.
IGN: PuryFIre
Last edited by Imverykind on Mar 2, 2013, 12:52:59 PM
Hey Imverykind,

I looked at your build, as you mentioned high health, and you have 133% increased life, while I have 184% increased max life. My build has higher health.

As for resistances, purity will easily cap me with inner focus. On that note, your build only has 15% more resists. I feel resists are more of a thing for gear to take care up, unless you are next to a resist node anyway.

As for chance to shock on hit with lightning damage, Lightning Warp WILL be effected by that chance, even though its a spell. The on hit is specific with lightning damage, so as long as they take it, they will be effected by it.

Also on top of survivability, I will have 5 endurance charges. That will significantly reduce the damage I take.

I'm not too sure about how my mana costs will be yet. As of right now, my character isn't having any mana issues. If I start to have mana issues, there are sections of my build I may rethink. I might also consider picking up EB, as I'm not far from it.

You also wasted a lot of points on Aura Radius. Arua radius is almost useless unless your a specific aura character or a summoner.
Had some time to play around with this.

I've reworked it quite a bit.

I found that Lightning Warp costs a ton of mana. So I had to pick up EB, and go for more mana regen.

I also noticed that the few aoe points I had in the center of the tree were wasted. It cost me too many valuable points to get there, than the reward it gave me.

I didn't have as much health as I would have liked to have. So I took the points getting the increased AOE and picked up more life while working over towards the shadow tree.

With a quicksilver up, you move between your positions so fast that the 6 points for move speed in the center felt wasted. Respected them out.

Noticed that Faster Casting didn't really help much, (if at all) So I am using Warp/Lightning Pen/Increased AOE/Conc Effect in a 4l. for a 5l, I would add Elemental Proliferation or Life Leech. And in a 6, I would put the other that you didn't put in for a 5l.

I picked up my warp totem, and it's funny as hell. Has warp/faster casting/proliferation/spell totem. Faster casting doesn't seem too important. Might swap that out for conc effect when I get another one.

I have yet to get quality gems for this build. Increased AOE is highest on my list though.

As of this post, I am at level 59, and I can clear fellshrine risk free, and in good time. I tend to skip the elite golems, though I think a good bear trap on weapon swap would be helpful, might put that together later.

It takes 1 or 2 warps, 3 at most, to clear any group of mobs. The high mobility from warp allows it to be very safe. Lots of shock stacking makes your dps incredible.

Will update more when I get further and have better gear. I haven't been putting much time into this character, I have been more interested in farming maps.

After some more looking, I saw the 40% mana regen right below the aoe in the center. This actually gives me a good incentive to go down there. Though I don't progress over to the move speed nodes anymore. Slight change, though not much.

Last edited by Spherous on Mar 17, 2013, 5:31:34 AM
"
Spherous wrote:

You would also need a high quality reduced mana gem for your auras, as 3 of them are 40%s.

As an FYI, the extra mana cost reduction granted by quality on the Reduced Mana gem does NOT reduce mana reserved like the base gem does. It functions exactly like the "reduced mana cost on skills" passive skill nodes.
"
DSP_Zulu wrote:
"
Spherous wrote:

As an FYI, the extra mana cost reduction granted by quality on the Reduced Mana gem does NOT reduce mana reserved like the base gem does. It functions exactly like the "reduced mana cost on skills" passive skill nodes.

Yeah, I've learned that since I posed that. Its too bad though :/ Makes the quality bonus really bad. Either way, I'm running 4 auras on it atm. Purity, Determination, Clarity, and discipline. Looking to add in Grace soon. And when I reach ~3k mana, haste. For 6 auras. There is no need for anger/wrath/hatred.
Update:

I'm 64, clearing City of Sarn pretty quickly. Between my totem, and me, anything that isn't champion or elite gets killed after the first cast. I instantly shock stack a whole group. I'm working towards more health atm. I'm sitting at 3100 hp. With bad gear.

Current gear:
Spoiler

Going to be progressing through act 3 a little. At least through the sewers so I can get the skill point for the busts.

Currently at 4 endurance charges, though I am going to be picking up my additional charge in 4 more skill points.

My Lightning Warp is at level 16, and doing 1k dps. With very few increased damage nodes. The next few levels scale the damage up massively. I'm predicting my next rank to be 1.5-2k. Given gear upgrades between now and then.

Searching for a 5l, quality increased AOE, and quality Life Leech. Quality Lightning Pen and Quality Warp are on my radar too.

If any of you have one of these and wish to sell (or donate to the cause) please contact me in game: Spherous.

Elemental Reflect has become obvious to be a problem. I'm hoping with more resists and life, it will be less of an issue. If it still presents to be hard, I'm thinking I'll have to swap my Enfeeble to be on my main gear (not weapon swap) which might take some relinking/recoloring to be possible.

Though I have to say, this is probably the most fun build I have ever played. I'm having a blast.

On a side note. I have gotten to the point in my mana regen where I can balance out my Lightning warp with Clarity up. My warp costs 176 mana per cast atm, I have 125 regen/second. The only time this becomes an issue is when I use my perpetual quicksilver of adrenaline. It's important to note, that with this flask up, my dps SKY ROCKETS. The tool tip stays the same, however, I am able to cast a lot more warps in a lot shorter of time.

I have taken my mana potion off of my bar and am currently using:

Spoiler

I would like to replace the granite with a surgeons of iron skin, though I haven't been able to roll one yet. The second life flask is up for change as well. I'm thinking a surgeons of adrenaline. Surgeons of warding would also be fine.

Life Leech has become more and more obvious to be required. I'm thinking a 5l is in order, and soon.
Last edited by Spherous on Mar 17, 2013, 5:32:05 AM
Remote Mine works well with Lightning Warp; you can either put it on a totem for that extra damage boost, or use it on plain LW and have a 5 mine nuke (that won't teleport you).
@ELLE_mt

Dual Elemental Hit Totems w/ Tri-Curse, Traps, Frost Wall: http://tinyurl.com/bvdxbjz

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info