My dog just died

It is just a terrible situation. :( Sorry again.
Censored.
yes it is but sharing it this way helps with my grievances. And if it can help others that went through this (or might be) even a little, then it's worth doing.

I'm also gonna say this: if your vet has a worry about something that's not normal for your pet, s/he's probably right. Don't do like I initially did and wear rose-tinted glasses and dismissing it as a minor issue that will get fixed with time. Heck, you can also learn from this for our own well-being. Doctors and veterinarians, in their vast majority, didn't learn medicine for the money. They did it out of love/care for others and you should trust that they know their stuff.

Money can be replaced easily. A loved one can't ever be replaced.
Money doesn't love you back, people and pets do.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Honestly don't mind the obvious "oh i would have taken the 5% odds and he would have been fine" bait.

People say all sorts of self-righteous serving platitudes, until they are presented with their own situation that demands they act like they talk.

And i can tell you upfront, 6k wouldn't have been sufficient since it requires permanent medication for the rest of his life if he somehow jumped true the 5% hoop.

If you made the call his quality of life was declining vs his quantity of life then that is all there is to it, nobody can fault you for making that decision with his best interest's in mind.

Believe me i am making that calculation in my mind every time Volta get's a cough or a little illness, since he's so devoid of actual energy to cope with those situations.
He almost passed out four times in the last two months while going on a normal 15 minute walk just due to exhaustion.

And he had a lung infection a month ago i think so i can understand the situation of having to watch your dog constantly position in a way so he can breath somewhat normal, while constantly gasping for air and throwing up mucus.(in our case, trying to throw up mucus since the tumor is in the top of his mouth, so the mucus is actually blocked by the disformaties making them constantly fall back)

So let me tell you upfront.

You did good and what was right, keeping him alive if his qaulity of life was poor to serve your own needs would have been selfish and wrong.

I have seen a lot of dogs in terrible conditions and with terrible owners, going of your story you did great and provided him with a good home and great care, i am sure the dog felt the same till his latest moments and was thankful for that.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Yes, I'm almost sure it was the right call in the situation but there's always doubt in my mind no matter what.

There's also this whole self blaming part where I'm thinking "I should have made the tests back in august, when the vet said there was something odd with a mass under his jaw". I just dismissed it as a problem with his rapid inflation of his neck (he had previously eaten something outside which we thought was the culprit for the situation). Got him under some cortisone and he got better very quickly and I was thinking it was it, not digging deeper.

It's hard regardless of how rationale it is, after all, you think with your brain but feel with the heart...
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
You did the right thing... To make an animal suffer because of our tendency to humanize such beautiful creatures is cruel. In nature animals seek solitude, stop eating and slowly pass away in pain. You gave your best friend a wonderful gift your intelligence, compassion and the capacity to set away selfish needs to decide for Maui. My condolences... Hugs.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
thanks, it means a lot to me
Oh right I am the inhumane one. If I had a dog, I would imagine he is just as stubborn as me. Life is made up of choices and People Make Decisions Differently. I would want to remember my dog to be brave and fearless. That will either make me a cruel owner or someone who believe in his dog.
Sorry to hear.

Similar situation with my family dog back in 2011.

Maui had a great life, that's one happy lookin boi. RIP.
anything is everything
it doesn't make you inhuman. At worst, it makes you selfish. More realistically, it means you never had to face the situation and how hard it is to take a decision (either decision).

I'm not saying this to attack you or anything, I'm actually grateful that you are offering me sympathy. You are indeed allowed to make your own decisions (the fact he lived for so long was my own decision as my father wanted him to get euthanized a lot earlier). I wanted to give him a chance to fight back, which I did.

And if you do that, it will make you neither of what you said. It will make you someone that love their dog more than anything and someone that isn't ready to let him go. There's nothing wrong with that. If anything, it's way better than those that abandon their pets when they move or at the slightest illness.
Last edited by faerwin on Apr 20, 2018, 5:56:20 PM
"
deathflower wrote:
Oh right I am the inhumane one. If I had a dog, I would imagine he is just as stubborn as me. Life is made up of choices and People Make Decisions Differently. I would want to remember my dog to be brave and fearless. That will either make me a cruel owner or someone who believe in his dog.

Nah your not inhumane, what your saying is completely normal for somebody that has no experience in this mater.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info