how dodge/evasion works ?

Hi guys,

How dodge works vs attacks and spells ?
I'm leveling a dodge spell based char atm, and died vs atziri because i don't dodge her flameblast (didn't dodge a single one...)

Did I missed something ?
I know dodge doesn't work vs degen aoe effect but why vs flameblast ?

Thanks.
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2018, 10:19:05 AM
Dodge is all out random
Evasion is less random

Both are death sentences.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
You dont rely on RNG vs Atziri flameblast.

You get the fuck out of the way.
Last edited by gladiatorpie on Apr 16, 2018, 1:25:47 PM
"
Dodge is all out random
Evasion is less random

Both are death sentences.

The latter is just opinion, but a good opinion nonetheless.

For the OP: I wouldn't call it a death sentence, but it's much less reliable than another form of defense such as armor or resistances. Those two reduce damage 100% every time, where as evasion and dodge have a chance of avoiding, but not reducing damage.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 16, 2018, 1:28:38 PM
*makes cipher equip Abyssus with evasion there

!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Domah wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm leveling a dodge spell based char atm, and died vs atziri because i don't dodge her flameblast (didn't dodge a single one...)

Did I missed something ?

Thanks.

I think the question you're asking is why does dodge not work against flameblast. Do you have "Dodge Attacks" or do you have "Dodge Spell Damage". If you have just dodge attacks, then there is your answer. If you have dodge spell damage, then you just failed your roll.

Evasion is against attacks only and will do nothing against Flameblast; except let you die a horrible fast death.

Flameblast is a spell.
Last edited by Nubatron on Apr 16, 2018, 1:32:33 PM
"
*makes cipher equip Abyssus with evasion there

!

I ran my own Blast Rain build with evasion... get this: during Abyss league. No problem progressing, no problem mapping, and no problem with abysses. Even did a lich (couldn't do both, but that's because of RNG suckage and no bothering to 820 the other since so damn expensive). But did not do bosses endgame, as I just ran out of time (only did last month of league).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
given the thread title says dodge/evasion, and then the post only talks about dodge, just thought id note that dodge and evasion are 2 entirely separate things, they have nothing to do with each other the same way block and energy shield are 2 completely separate defences.
"
Domah wrote:
Hi guys,

Did I missed something ?

Thanks.

Evasion can avoid the damage of any "attack" that "hits".. Evasion is also treated to a normalization algorithm to sorta force law of averages on the number of attacks you get.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion

Dodge (including spell dodge) can avoid any "spell" or "attack" that "hits" ... unlike evasion Dodge does not get normalized and is entirely random.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dodge

Regarding Flameblast (like atziri's) DOES NOT "HIT" , it counts as a ground Damage like caustic clouds or corpse explosion which means you CANNOT evade, dodge or Block it.
"
remiIafo wrote:
Regarding Flameblast (like atziri's) DOES NOT "HIT" , it counts as a ground Damage like caustic clouds or corpse explosion which means you CANNOT evade, dodge or Block it.

This is not true. Flameblast hits just fine, with all Hit-related effects working as usual.

You cannot Evade it because you fundamentally cannot Evade Spells. If you have Spell Dodge or Spell Block, you can Dodge/Block it.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Apr 16, 2018, 8:26:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info