Abyss spinners - what's the point of them?

I have been away for the abyss league and I thank god for that. It might have been my breaking point, since I don't like to play characters that reach ehp in the tens of thousands, which is what I feel like those illogically designed rares require.

Why do they deal so much damage? But most importantly, why is there little to no counterplay at all in avoiding grossly unfair oneshots? I play a reasonably beefy character and I have absolutely no problems in dealing with anything tier 16 maps throw at me, but when those abominations crawl from the abyss hole and start charging, I know I'm either going to die to an absolute one shot or just be lucky enough to blink away. Yes - that's the only counterplay possible and it HARDLY works always, since you have to be careful at other stuff and you can also fail your timing, especially if the rare has been charging for too long. And what if there's 3 spawns of those? You dodge 1-2 and the third is just going to bash your head in like that, right? What's the fucking point of that? Why the retarded gear check?

Why do I need to gear an additional 2k hp just for a single rare in the entire game? Hasn't GGG learned their lesson with reflect?

Now listen to me GGG - next tab, I'm not buying it. I'm not buying jack shit from now on. It feels like you deliberately trying to piss people off with retarded mechanics like this one and it's simply not acceptable.
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2018, 7:41:01 PM
Every character will progress past the point where they're safe... no matter what GGG does. If you don't like that, take two steps back. You can set the difficulty where you want it. Run T10 maps instead of T12. If you push your limits, don't open the abyss cracks. You get to choose when you do.
When you say "reasonably beefy character" do you mean that Inquisitor running around with an Abyssus and a bow and no fortify and not a single defensive flask and a bisco's with no life?
"
poepoe091 wrote:
When you say "reasonably beefy character" do you mean that Inquisitor running around with an Abyssus and a bow and no fortify and not a single defensive flask and a bisco's with no life?

While I do think this is quite funny*, I do agree with the OP that the Abyss rares are a bit dumb. The ones that go invincible for a short amount of time, and the ones that pop out from underneath you, are both just really annoying. I like the idea of skill-based fights with rares like this, but I don't really want to have those fights in a situation where I also need to kill 40million trash monsters within a time limit or miss out on finishing the abyss, because it stops being skill-based and starts being a quite sharp gear check like the Op describes.

-------------
*it even has cast on death linked to portal.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
I mean,yea,abyss monsters in high tiers do hurt quite a bit,but I've never had the feeling like OP,'OMG opening abyss is 100% death'... they are manageable....
"
poepoe091 wrote:

You do realize I wasn't talking from the perspective of a character with abyssus and 4.5k hp. I'm not that hypocrite.

On the other hand, I'd like you to take a step back and realize how unfair spinners are, especially when they have proximity shield / powerful crits / damage mods and especially speed aura. And when they spawn 2-3 at a time, ignoring map mods. This is enough to destroy a beefy character.

BUT OF COURSE you wouldn't give a shit with your 10 endurance juggernaut bullshit.

"
dudiobugtron wrote:
and the ones that pop out from underneath you, are both just really annoying.

At the very least, I can easily avoid those by running away when they go under. They're really easy to avoid, unlike spinners who are almost impossible to avoid.
Last edited by demonstorm on Mar 25, 2018, 2:29:27 AM
Well id like phase run to be changed to one these spinners have aka being immune to damage and status ailments.

Whos idea it was again?
"
Teplokot wrote:
Well id like phase run to be changed to one these spinners have aka being immune to damage and status ailments.

Whos idea it was again?

I'd like their Phase Run to have a timer on instead of having to trigger them before you can continue doing damage. Had one stuck behind some Totems and it just keeps sitting there invisible and invulnerable forever.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
How weak are the characters you're making? My weakest during Abyss league still walked all over the spinners
~390 total Life on ur gear

and 165% Life on Lvl 95

+ Abyssus

+ considering that your Ascendancy pathing also doesnt have any defensive mechanisms

i mean thats fine for standard but really i dont find the troubles you have that surprising.

(but yeah those things hit hard as hell)

/edit: If you are talking about another character: I cant see any other active and geared characters or did you retire that specific char?

Can you paste your defensive specs? That would help
Last edited by Im2sl0w on Mar 25, 2018, 6:39:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info