Real talk is HC gonna die out eventually?

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
That being said the game has become increasingly unfriendly for HC in my eyes

Oh how easily we forget the days of desync.
HC has been slowly dying since GGG stopped actively encouraging it. In the beginning of PoE, it didn't hurt to start HC. If you died, your character went to SC ladder. So, just starting out in HC was perfectly fine, even if you were going to play SC. This lead to a lot of people who started to enjoy HC who would have probably not even tried it to begin with.

Couple that with GGG always giving HC the better League mechanic. SC would get something like Rampage/Domination, HC would get something like Beyond/Nemesis. Etc. Hardcore always got the more interesting league mechanic.

These 2 things made more people try HC than would have previously. It lead to a much more healthy HC community. Those things are long gone now, and less and less people have any desire to start HC.

Also, honestly as someone who played HC for a very long time, the novelty wears off and you can find more fun things to do in SC. If I wanted a challenge anymore Id just play SSF; I doubt I'd ever go back to HC at this point. My net isn't great, and the novelty of perma-death just doesn't tickle my fancy like it did when I started this game. I have more fun creating janky builds just to see if they work than worrying about what map mods I have, or if my internet is going to drop packets at 12am like it tends to do.

I doubt I would have even played HC in PoE if they didnt incentivize it like they did with the 2 things I mentioned at the start of this post.
"
Gnomzy99 wrote:
Been playing HC since 2012-2017 then i moved to SC for few leagues due to fps issues but i got borred so i moved back to HC but now comparing how many people play BSC and BHC is immense the chat global 1 barely moves so does 820 and there is almost no party groups at all while in BSC global 1 was full of people so was 820 and there was like 20-30 party groups so im wondering if HC version will eventually die out or its just that BHC is just unpopular as fuck?

HC will die and the reason is that the game is less and less balanced towards HC. Simple as that.
I love the thrill when playing HC, always loved. Sadly this game isn't balanced towards HC anymore, powercreep and monster damage went too hard.
Last edited by EzBreesy on Mar 21, 2018, 12:12:24 AM
"
EzBreesy wrote:

HC will die and the reason is that the game is less and less balanced towards HC. Simple as that.

HC is fine.
"
99Pitbull99 wrote:
Game is only here for a VERY few people to actually enjoy. Save your time, leave. GGG got their money. Fuck everyone else it seems. About out myself after 5+ years and tons of WASTED money supporting these assholes.

Wow this guy got forum ban or game ban ?

Too much salt really killed you.

RIP as we say in HC.
"
codetaku wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
That being said the game has become increasingly unfriendly for HC in my eyes

Oh how easily we forget the days of desync.

why does everyone think that i started playing yesterday :p I don't forget desync I still barely use movement skills because its so ingrained in me that they get you killed i vastly prefer phasing + high movespeed lol.
HC is Dying for sure, there are many reasons - several not even mentioned yet in this thread.

Public games are 1/10 of what they were a year ago, players in my 'HC only' guild have mostly gone over to SC. My friends list is empty except for one or two old holdouts, and everyone left solos only so what bother with friends lists or guilds anyway?

RIP HC = RIP PoE for me. this is very possibly the last season I'll be around. who fuckin cares? nobody.

Just thought about playing back after a few years but I play only HC and this thread kind of make me reconsider xD

I remember it was not perfect back in time but is it objectively THAT bad now ?

(Besides, what's new since 2013 ? ... OK maybe ignore that question :p )
"
DarkyPupu wrote:
Just thought about playing back after a few years but I play only HC and this thread kind of make me reconsider xD

I remember it was not perfect back in time but is it objectively THAT bad now ?

(Besides, what's new since 2013 ? ... OK maybe ignore that question :p )

When did you last play? If you played when desync, lag, instant strongbox explosions, DD one shots etc then HC is better than then by a long stretch.

The game knowledge required is fairly steep these days though and many of the old expectations are no longer relevant. I wouldn't be discouraged too much by the other posters here though its not dying its just that its a struggle that few enjoy and GGG truly haven't done much to help the HC players out for quite a while.

I'll be back next league for sure, this is my first time in SC and while i'm enjoying being able to play like a complete nob end, its lost alot of the spice in SC.
"
DarkyPupu wrote:
is it objectively THAT bad now ?

It's not yet in a terrible state, and still playable.

For me, the main issue with HC lays within the overall balance of the game - spike damage is real, and what's most important - unpredictable.
Back in the days you clearly knew what's dangerous: everything that moves. And you had to always act accordingly, being constantly on your toes.
Now 99% of the playthrough feels like a walk in the park. And just before you fell asleep, character suddenly resurrects in standard.
Game's just cluttered with way too many events, which may interact with each other when you expect it the least.
On a side note, ggg are not known to be good in balancing in general, but that's not new.

Minor issue is the lab, which is the ultimate anti-HC design. Some get used to it, others just can't.
Another minor issue is some act bosses, way harder than anything you've been up to this point of progression. And a massive cockblock named Kitava, at the end.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Mar 21, 2018, 9:52:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info