Real talk is HC gonna die out eventually?

"
Chadwixx wrote:
Hardcore really isnt that when you can log out at any time. If you were only able to log out in town it would be much more HC. But "top players" cried about not being able to instantly log out because they may die.

I dont get it

Not to mention Hardcore characters don't actually die, nor do they lose their spot on ladder when they do 'die'.

HC in this game is a joke.
Awakening addon in 2015 was the first step to platforming play styles with small arenas and loads of ground effects. Shortly after Izaro-lab continued this story.
Play style like late 80s, early/mid 90's jump 'n run games like Super Mario or Pitfall.
Now lately with increased boss/monster damage it merges with some Dark Souls elements.

I'm curious how this game will look in 2 years from now regarding skill gems/passive skill tree/ascendancies and general boss & mob encounters.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Game is too long for HC play.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
HC doesn't have as many parties as running groups with randoms is inherently dangerous, its ok to farm or with an aura bot etc but i wouldn't party generally.

That being said the game has become increasingly unfriendly for HC in my eyes, though some of the beast uniques confer very strong defensive bonuses and i'm hoping will be available in some form in the future.

I swapped to SC for this league as i play with a friend who struggles to stay alive until 90 so thought we'd give SC a go, its fun and currency is far easier to generate but personally I've lost measure for when a character was really good as you can make anything work on SC :/

As GGG moves more toward high spike damage and one-shot death trap bosses in a feeble attempt to combat their own power/speed creep meta (GGGs strange perception of "balancing") the increasing frequency of the random one shot CRITter creatures is making it increasingly undesirable to play hardcore. The stress is just too great and not good for health (nervously sitting for hours when the build gets into yellow/red maps is very bad long term).

On the flip side softcore easier play is necessary for the high % of casual players. We jump in a few hours for "fun" (usually) and not every day (we have real lives and family) and don't want to be too worried about getting one-shot while we play our builds to 90 (I play a build to 90, then try another new skill set new build and place the level 90 build in the play rotation to keep that skill from becoming stale). Softcore is also great for the multi-year casual player as we should (I do) have accumulated a lot of uniques so trying a new skill set means we can gear for it more easily. That balances well with new leagues and starting from scratch.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
stevich wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

That being said the game has become increasingly unfriendly for HC in my eyes,

It hasnt. Poe is hc friendlier than ever. Shotgunning removed. Shockstacks removed. Power creep. Reflect nerfed multiple times. Map boss damage far more predictable than it used to be. There where low tier map bosses that did insane amounts of damage compared to other maps of the same tier. Most important thing porbably, introduction of lockstep. Getting ported back into a crowed of mobs in another room was really fun in hc. Who knows what else. Alot has changed, and rarely has anything made the act progression harder.

On topic:
I noticed many people leaving Hc. Was in a guild and we all used to play hc together every league. 2 leagues ago i logged on first day of the league and saw everyone was sc. Gquit.
It wont die out but it seems it gets less popular as time passes from my own experience.

I am going to disagree here. You are correct in saying it is easier to level than before.
However, HC is harder than before. This is because spike damage has gone up.
So, you end up randomly dead.
I still play HC every so often but I used to play it every ladder when MTX's were different. I think GGG really made a mistake with same MTX for both ladder. Also I think they make mistake by not allowing deaths to go to SC ladder so people wont try it so much.

I'd play HC every time if we got different MTX and dead migrate to SC ladder.

Now it's just too much investment for too little gain. Essentially bragging rights which I have no interest in.

Not to mention it's way more fun game play wise to build glass cannons than tanks.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 20, 2018, 2:14:11 AM
"
Gnomzy99 wrote:
"
Fapmobile wrote:
Dunno where you're getting the idea that it's different than before.
I never really saw public groups in the hardcore leagues and bhc is quite active.

When you compare it to BSC community then BHC have like 10x times less so i cant really call that "active"

Softcore has always been more popular than hardcore. I'm not going to debate that "ten times" since you provided nothing to support that claim.

I can't be the only one who doesn't die to lag or bugs in this game, but because of my own mistakes/arrogance at times.

I can't really understand how people can play this game on softcore. Other than high level exp penalty, there is no risk in anything. Never needed macros so I don't really care about them.
The game gets often quite boring on hc already so I can only imagine the softcore grind.
"
Fapmobile wrote:
"
Gnomzy99 wrote:
"
Fapmobile wrote:
Dunno where you're getting the idea that it's different than before.
I never really saw public groups in the hardcore leagues and bhc is quite active.

When you compare it to BSC community then BHC have like 10x times less so i cant really call that "active"

Softcore has always been more popular than hardcore. I'm not going to debate that "ten times" since you provided nothing to support that claim.

I can't be the only one who doesn't die to lag or bugs in this game, but because of my own mistakes/arrogance at times.

I can't really understand how people can play this game on softcore. Other than high level exp penalty, there is no risk in anything. Never needed macros so I don't really care about them.
The game gets often quite boring on hc already so I can only imagine the softcore grind.

some people just don't have the fucking time and energy to level again and again? ever thought about that?
Interesting how people are arguing against HC that just do not enjoy that playstyle / never tried it.

To me personally playing SC feels just like a waste of time, since time is the only investment necessary to eventually reach whatever goal you set. HC provides tension and excitement all the time.

Always looking forward to Lab on every character, too, though it got very easy on the lower difficulties after the nerfs.
(haven't done uber lab yet, but most of the trials, just didnt find all of them in one league yet)

Sure, if your internet/pc is not reliable it is a no go, but i only lost 1 character in 5 leagues to a standstill. Every other death was just tiredness / boldness / complacency.
Overcoming these it was makes the game fun and exciting for me personally, your enjoyment may vary :)

Edit: To OP: i think there are those feeling similarly abour HC, never able to enjoy SC. Possible that their numbers will shrink over time, but the few trades i did in BHC got immediate answers on the first or second whisper and towns are full of people (with lots of mtx..)
Last edited by Antaiseito on Mar 20, 2018, 5:19:33 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Also why doesn´t OP criticize something as niche as SSF first before
he announces the death of HC ? Btw we need numbers. The actual numbers on how the playerbase is splitted up in each division before we can have any conversation that makes any sense whatsoever.

And yes I just assume that SSF is niche and has less players than HC. I could be wrong about that.
That´s why we need the numbers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info