Dual spark totem templar

I really liked dual totems on my witch but wasn't really fond of CI/ES build. I wanted to make a tank that absorbs the damage and also uses dual shock totem. Here is what I came up with for my build.

I use FP/3xBear traps till 31 where I make the switch to totem - spark, fork, faster casting

Passives, gear, gems, and goals

lvl 20
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJx5CIabBmFJKo26eNqna6nCNrdj0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6OZPemtvq1BLaGfVOplXB9

Level 40 + redone

New Level 40
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6Wissp6PyOthN2Ix2

New Level 60
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6rKon7fPdWissp6PyGS7Uj7nd7w7yLzrYTdiMdg==

New level 70
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6rKon7fPdWissp6PyGS7Uj7nd7w7nUlRJXz_2SIzPUFBYY8bYxPY8Lcautz56uK6TOthN2Ix28i8=

Alternate 70 w/o extra totem life
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6rKon7fPdWissp6PyGS7Uj7nd7w7nUlRJXz_2SIzPUFBYY8bYxPY8LcauOthN2Ix28i_-CvJF52PN-nyDYqw=

New Level 90
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6rKon7fPdWissp6PyGS7Uj7nd7w7nUlRJXz_2SIzPUFBYY8bYxPY8Lcautz56uK6TOthN2Ix28i9uqj8n1BUlr_4K8kXnY6ZXOuGI8c36fIMRLY6-LJzBtOTsdhGuswVCQZaCEN-w

Alternate 90 w/o more totem life
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNgziLjKIA4XPwH-0gRtddxt3zYG2dgAJxtoZ9U-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWbylPgpvsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9T32AVvLOzLfVdZuhZ73ub1nzjmT3prb6rKon7fPdWissp6PyGS7Uj7nd7w7nUlRJXz_2SIzPUFBYY8bYxPY8LcauOthN2Ix28i_-CvJF52PN-nyDES2OviycwbTk7HYRrrMFQkGWghDfsIFJsjhmT1WuRKuPpi0fjRngEt2MYqyhbQ==

As for gems:
(all supports are in order of importance)
Spell Totem - spark, fork, faster casting, lightning penetration, crit dmg
3 x Bear trap - added fire dmg
clarity, purity or haste depending on gear - reduced mana
conductivity, enfeeble - faster casting
Summon zombie (as well as specter if you want / have the slots)- minion life - minion speed
(minions are for meat-shielding not dps)

A2 Deal with the bandits quest rewards -
Normal - 40 Life
Cruel - 4% Faster Casting
Merc - Skill point

Gear:
All your gear you want high armor / evasion however some socket colors are easier with an es roll in there, this is alright for your boots or gloves. It's also pretty much impossible to avoid ES on your shield as you'll want the spell damage roll from an intel shield.

In your chest looking for 5link-6link, life, and resists
Helm - 4l, minion level, life, resists
Wand - 3l, spell damage, cast speed, ele dmg, lightning dmg, spell crit / global crit
shield - 3l same mods as wand but with life and resists included
boots - 4l, life, resists, move speed
gloves - 4l, life, resists, ele dmg if possible
belt - life, armor, ele damage, resists
rings & ammy - life, resists, ele dmg, cast speed

Flasks:
Instant life pot with dispels frozen

Surgeons life flask that dispels frozen
Surgeons mana flask that has curse immunity

RESISTS:
Your looking for 85 on cold, fire, and lightning resists in merciless
65+ in cruel
and 35+ in normal is always helpful
As far as chaos resist it isn't a huge deal in cruel or normal but in merciless youlre looking for -20% minimum with up to about +10% any more than this is kind of a waste as chaos resist is extremely expensive and isn't that prevalent.

EDIT:
I made the totem switch at lvl 31 and it worked great. I'm using 3 bear traps and I have zombies I used as meat shields. Killen it. Currently lvl 36

EDIT: if you decide to go zombies changing up your tree a tiny bit to get minion instability isn't a bad choice once you've reached around level 60. You're zombies will have about 3k life if not more and explode for over 1k damage.
I chose not to go this route as DPS isn't my main focus for zombies, I use them as decoys for my totems and myself. Exploding on low life gives them at least one less hit to absorb because they explode, it's a trade off and up to each player.
Last edited by heiter1 on Mar 26, 2013, 9:40:56 PM
First of all I really don't see a reason why you shouldn't go for the totem right at lvl 31 i did the same with my totem templar and it worked perfectly fine.

When it comes to your passive build it looks pretty decent (referring to the lvl 60/70 builds here) with a few exeptions:

In yoru lvl 60 build you've got a serious lack of resistances you've skipped both Body and Soul nodes and haven't grabbed resistances from the Marauder area of the tree yet.
This will most likely lead to you experiencing some heavy troubles in late cruel/early merciless.

Later on you've picked up Iron Grip but well this is completely pointless, yes spark is a projectile but Iron Grip only applies to Projectile attacks while spark is a spell. Making this an incredible waste of skill points.
Iron grip was my biggest question. I was playing my dual totem CI Witch (who died) last night with a Templar dual totem and he said he was getting iron grip and it would double his dmg, wasn't sure though.

As for the resist I meant to get diamond skin in there but forgot, whoops! Besides that though I do have 30 AR from the shield nodes, is that not enough to offset the -40? Would it be to gear heavy on resists?
Well in Cruel your resists should be somewhere near the cap the +30 from the shield nodes aren't even enough to compensate for the resist penalty and at this stage of the game it's muich easier and better to accquire the needed resists through nodes than equipment.
Made an edit
Is it possible to be effective running dual totems with 0 minions?
"
heiter1 wrote:
Made an edit

Should be completely fine now :)

"
Silicone522 wrote:

I'm doing exactly this i was never a fan of minion builds and I'm lvl 73 farming maps without any problems.
"
"
heiter1 wrote:
Made an edit

Should be completely fine now :)

"
Silicone522 wrote:

I'm doing exactly this i was never a fan of minion builds and I'm lvl 73 farming maps without any problems.

So you lay totems curse and run in a circle?
"
Silicone522 wrote:

So you lay totems curse and run in a circle?

Well it's not that easy but if you want to break the playtyle down to the core it's pretty much this.
Well you are doing better than me. Once I go to totems it is so strong that I just quicksilver to giant groups and mow em down. Got me killed at 57 and 48. so Third times the charm hopefully. I use minions tho at least zombies and spectras and skeles for bosses to keep em off my precious totems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info