Question for long time players

Have any of the previous league mechanics dynamically effected the meta? I know they always do to an extent, but Bestiary feels like its going to have a very different meta than recent leagues.

Last bumped on Feb 23, 2018, 6:22:59 PM
Some of the past hardcore leagues did, since they were unavoidable deathtraps (Invasion was absolutely hilarious, for example). Other than that, I can't recall any particular meta shifts caused by engagement with the league mechanic. If your build isn't well suited to the mechanic you can just ignore it. Pretty sure that's what's going to happen in Bestiary too.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Although I haven't played it much personally, Tempest had a big impact on how people played the game. Since the tempest spawns were fixed across the entire league, people would communicate where the good tempests were currently active, and actively run those areas.

Think of what Shaper/Elder influence is today, only you can't control it and it randomly shifts every hour. That would certainly be one way to reduce the possible profit factor from running the same map over and over.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 22, 2018, 11:28:48 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Although I haven't played it much personally, Tempest had a big impact on how people played the game. Since the tempest spawns were fixed across the entire league, people would communicate where the good tempests were currently active, and actively run those areas.

Think of what Shaper/Elder influence is today, only you can't control it and it randomly shifts every hour. That would certainly be one way to reduce the possible profit factor from running the same map over and over.

But did that effect builds?
I don't think so. Again, I played only for a short time (got to about level 50 if I recall correctly?), so I am not entirely sure.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 22, 2018, 11:49:09 PM
"
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

But did that effect builds?

I believe so, iirc that was the age of the reverse cyclone and the Ghostbusters. Or were they one in the same? I can't remember lol. Anyway that was the meta as I recall it.
I think bestiary will be hugely meta defining.
"
I think bestiary will be hugely meta defining.

You've said it twice now without going into any type of example...which would be more interesting of a conversation.

We already have builds that focus on map clearing, bossing, uber lab, etc. What kind of new popular builds do you think will come out of bestiary? I would think we'd just see more boss killers if anything, as they will make capturing and blood alter encounters easier.

By punishing offscreening and AoE we are pushed toward more controlled damage. What does control get for slowing down? Not much except maybe being better at beasts... will that be worth the move? Is this the purpose of this league?

Im looking for other, more expereinced players, experiences
The pleb-tier beasts will not be worth stopping for, since you can just buy them for a couple of chaos. The legendary beasts will likely have enough life that your cookie-cutter right-click-to-clear-three-screens build will not actually one-shot them, and you will have a chance at capturing them. Further, they will be indicated on the map, so you can just right-click a bit more carefully to save them.

I don't think much will change in regard to the Tier 1 builds as a result of the league mechanics. A possible exception would be minion/spectre builds (were minion builds ever Tier 1 though?), again depending on how much life the beasts will have and how long does it take to throw a pokeball at them.

I don't see any new builds emerging purely as a consequence of this league. The Ascendancy rework will have a much, much higher impact in this regard.

It would certainly be much more interesting if the beasts had comparable life amounts to rare monsters, were not indicated on the map (and thus offscreening them would be a real problem), or specifically required you to get them to low life to capture them (in which case one-shotting them would be a problem). But it seems that GGG have built in safeguards against all of these issues.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 23, 2018, 5:44:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info