What is your favorite loot-based game dissimilar to PoE and why?

I feel like that parent who has told their kid never to drink or do drugs despite their crazy hippy days. Hypocrisy, yes, but damn it, that doesn't mean you can't learn from my mistakes...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Go away, hippy.

I'll play whatever I want, goshdangit. And you can't stop me.

Spoiler
Knights of the Round was amazing. I remember pumping way too many quarters into that machine as a kid, but I also remember deaths being a lot less cheap in that game than in similar sidescrolling beat-'em-ups. (I'm looking at you, Golden Axe.) It could be the pink lenses in my shades, though.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Nope, KOTR *was* amazing. As was Golden Axe. And King of Dragons. And Tower of Doom. And Shadow Over Mystara.

And Dragon's Crown is the apotheosis of everything that was amazing about those games. Right down to dragon riding and holding attack+back to block with your shield.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Hmm, not quite sure... I don't have all that many loot-based non ARPG games :/

1) Terraria, I love this game. Best 5€ spent in a steam sale EVER. I love the graphics, the weapons go from badass (flamethrower) to hilarious (a staff that summons a sharknado that shoots sharks at enemies) and the bosses can be really challenging. It's my 2nd most played game on steam, PoE being my most played one.

2) Borderlands. Can't really specify which game though, the first has the superior loot system, the second has the better story (imo) and pre-sequel the most fun gameplay. And cryo damage and lasers.

3) Dragon Quest IX. I don't know exactly just how many hours I spent on this one, trying to get my gear even a little bit better or looking for elusive those metal king slimes to level my party... but it were a lot. I still play it every now and again, still quite fun.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
The problem with the Pre-Sequel, which was made by my countryfolk not four hours from here, is that you can see pretty much the exact point at which they ran out of funding and ideas. Until then, it's sort of amusing just how blithely Australian they make the moon. After that, it's a hollow experience full of meaningless quests and an anticlimactic ending. But yeah, that game finally got the melee right and Athena was beast.

BL2 still rules in my opinion. It's more refined than BL1 and the story is just great.

I tried to get into Terraria on my tablet but it just didn't stick for me.

Hoplite (Android game) because better combat.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 21, 2018, 7:49:47 PM
"
I tried to get into Terraria on my tablet but it just didn't stick for me.

I can't speak for the tablet version, but I bought the Vita version for playing on the go after getting addicted to the PC version and ended up hating it.

Yet I put hundreds of hours into the PC version. If the concept appeals to you, then I'd give it a proper try with a mouse and keyboard.
Wash your hands, Exile!
It might indeed come down to controls. Unfortunately if I'm on PC I'm playing PoE, Wolcen or WF. I don't do 'lots of games' on any given platform. It's how I keep myself somewhat focuses game-wise. My steam library belies this intention but I pretend it doesn't exist...

I once tried the mobile version of terraria on my phone. Controls were yuck. It goes MUCH smoother on PC and that version also has more content.
For the controls it's very much intended for mouse+keybord. Everything else just feels unnatural.

Borderlands stuff (mild spoilers)
I can agree mostly on what you mentioned. Though as I said, I like and dislike a lot of each iteration. The first one had the best loot (ajex-ogre and other hybrid weapons, some REAL chase stuff) and was the best immersion wise, being a huge wasteland with post-apocalyptic feel to it. The story was kind of bland though and it let a lot of questions open.

BL2 had by far the best story with the most hilariously evil villain I've seen in a long time. The more deterministic loot system was a nice addition, we only had some guarenteed drops from certain bosses before. However, it tried too hard to make every area feel truly unique, which ended up feeling like they aren't even connected to each other.
The balancing of some skills was pretty awful at first, and ultimate vault hunter and overlevels made matters even worse. The worst thing however was slag. The most unhealthy element balance wise to have ever existed. That stuff is what eventually made me quit the game, due to the fact that it became mandatory at some point. That and the fact that the rarest weapons in the game (ignoring the cobra and certain specific part combinations) were mostly SHIT.

Pre-sequel got that part right. Cryo was fun and felt GOOD. Melee was actually a viable and fun option. The new weapons (especially the lasers and the very rare stuff) were exciting and the gameplay was a lot of fun due to gravity and atmosphere mechanics. The areas once again were similar enough to feel connected while still feeling unique. The skill system got some changes which made it a lot more accessible and fun to play around with.
But then there was the story. It felt really rushed and forced at some point and after a while even the enemies seemed randomly thrown together. The latter third of the game felt like just pushing against a huge wall of mosters until you can fight a boss. Which sometimes even felt like a BL2 ripoff (Felicity felt pretty similar to wilhelm and saturn, while the jet was basically a reskinned bunker fight). The dlc was once again awesome though, not much to complain there... except for that final boss. God was that guy a chore -_-

So for the third part I'd love the kind of loot we got in the first game, the quality story of the second and awesome mechanics from pre-sequel.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Borderlands 2 is a masterpiece. I don't even think the developers fully appreciate what they managed to accomplish. I kind of think that the game designers became afraid of just how amazing the writers for the story were. And so they decided to move away from Borderlands as a matter of pride. Kind of like how Bill Belichick hates Tom Brady. They wanted to prove that Gearbox could make a popular game that wasn't associated with the writers of Borderlands 2.

That's my theory. Because if they'd fully appreciated and understood what those writers were doing, they would have kept going straight into Borderlands 3. Borderlands 3 would have been some Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Titantic, Matrix, Star Wars, blockbuster shit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info