I like the game, I hate the game. Looking for answers.

I have been playing the game for a few months on and off got one witch (summoner) to 80, new league got a new elementalist to 70 so far testing build to see what I like and works in game with that, have leveledboth in a little over a week as I got late starts in the leagues.

I will say part of my problems would be play style (I like to do all quests explore every inch of a map and collect treasure so portals back to town.)
and some build issues (being new testing builds out, not having enough to buy some items, learning crafting, and not doing builds like most do.)
Such as refusing to make my character into a rolling list of 1's and 0's based off nothing but stats but from a character immersion stand point would make no sense.

Playing this way is slower then a lot and it seems you lose xp as you out level the zones your going into even though I am not staying in a zone to grind my level up just following the content completing quests as given so my level should be close to the zone I am entering but is not so I get penalized for this ? Unbelievable.

I am beyond sick of the bait and switch tactics of the skill tree. The O look at all the skills you can have but O yeah we don't say it just look at 90% plus builds to see it's going to be made up of about 25% of those skills, load up on energy shield, life, resistance, and of course the like 5 or so mandatory skills because why wouldn't a glass cannon elementalist be using desecrate and doing things with the dead makes perfect character sense (eye roll, smh.) for a rolling min max stat pack character name 011001010.

I started a elementalist after my summoner seemed to be having issues namely everything he summoned was the same thing skeletons, zombies, spectors, elementals, animated guardian, pack of val skeletons I had them all and they all could be covered under one name "summon union works with rep and lawyer" I half expect to find a grievance in my stash from them when I go to town, most of the time all they do is follow me around when they should be attacking the things all around me all over the map it is what I got them for right? But its more "hey I am on break, that's not my job it's theirs, that's not what the contract says" then them killing things (great AI) far more interesting following me around as I try not to get one shoted as is normal in this game.

Probably wouldn't be that way if I got anything decent as far as gear goes but theirs no excitement when unique drops in this game because it's 99% going to be a unique piece of trash that no one is going to use, might as well be called path of the garbage collector, unlike Diablo where you get that feeling of what could it be here it's the what trash did I get O look now it's giving me the same piece of trash over and over again to make me feel if I got some of the other trash unique I should feel special.
Now I am not one of those players that expects all the best stuff right from the start of the game I don't mind grinding for things I want I would rather not see a unique for far longer periods (not that they drop often anyway ) and have it be unique and worth getting then getting this trash you call unique and anyone who thinks that at least 75% of the unique in this game are not trash all you need to do is look at builds or go to that gold farmer board, well you probably call it the auction board but let's be real it's the Chinese gold farmer board and you know it.

I should have known what I was getting into when so many builds say check 3rd party sites for prices on items, at first I thought this must be a misprint or just a few people as these sites are common place in a lot of mmo's and some people use them but I didn't expect a hand and hand relationship with the game and gold farmers because that says recipe for success for a game and company letting the farmers dictate the economy of the game and nothing makes a player more happy then having to deal with that economy and seeing adds in game for those sites(thankfully last patch took care of the adds) and not having any ability to report them not that I would expect a ban hammer to swing anyway this isn't blizzard after all.

I really love how the leagues are in this game compared to seasons in Diablo but as I make new characters to play in a league and start over with nothing to have my items dropped into the normal league at the end and start the cycle over I wonder at what point it gets old, do the items from a league start showing up in other leagues or have their named changed and show up like the belts from this league or is it you need to do that league or miss out? Do you get to keep your things if you play in a SSF when transferring between leagues? Think it would get old playing a character to a certain point then it ends and you restart doing it over again in a new league ending with a copy of your character that's waiting in the normal league when this one ends so you just delete it.
I like trying out new characters and builds but seems like the standard league is where you will get your final build or the only place all items are at in one place.

What is the best league or way to play if you want to experience playing a character but keep advancing them finding new gear and new combination in gear, I play solo wondering if SSF would be the way to go? Or play the leagues then buy the unique items from that league with my standard league character?

I like the game though the issues with it pileup, trying to give it a chance and find a way to play that will make it more enjoyable or sustain enjoyment without getting burned out on the negatives of it.
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2018, 11:11:48 AM
I'm a new player to PoE. (Xbox version) I'm also longtime player of Diablo. (All versions/platforms)

1) One thing that I have noticed is that my gameplay experience differs drastically between characters/builds. Diablo, while a wonderful game, is much more "rock, paper, scisors" than PoE when it comes down to the mechanics of the gameplay experience. (Combat, specs, gear, etc) In Dialbo, everything has already been done - If you want to play the end-game, only a few builds are available that can do that. The gameplay experience is basically ranged dps, facetank dps, or support. For all of the DPS builds, the gameplay is basically the same, just the ranges and a few interesting build differences are different. When one plays, the actual gameplay and what the player has to do in order to progress isn't much different unless it's outside of the rock/paper/scissors model.

PoE, however, has a fairly radical gameplay difference between builds. There are many more variables that impact the player's gameplay experience in PoE and how their chosen build will perform and what tasks must be accomplished for it in order to succeed in combat. The character's stats, abilities, defenses, etc, all matter a great deal. Layers upon layers of DPS and Defensive choices makes for much more complex interactions with the game.

It's not Rock, Paper, Scissors with PoE. It's kitchen-sink, Space-Shuttle, Bailing Wire and prayers...

To sum: Because your gameplay experience and activities when playing will change drastically between build choices, try other builds. What you're currently trying to play may not be the build/gameplay experience you really wanted to play. (I first chose what I thought was a big, beefy, facetanking brute of a character, only to end up discouraged, since I didn't really understand what sort of build it was, and then started a fast, melee crit, evasion build and really enjoy it.)

2) Builds - There are just too many darn different builds with disorganized presentations and crazy claims only PoE veterans would understand... This makes choosing a "new player" build very difficult. And, it's critical that new players choose a build that has been put together by very experienced players. It's also necessary that the build be explained fully with highlights and concerns that can be understood by both new and longtime players.

Thankfully, a quick search can turn up build recommendations for new players. But, unfortunately, not all of them are still viable for the newest patch. Many haven't been updated, either.

IMO, the only builds worth trying out for a new player will cover a wide range of information including gear discussions, alternative choices, gameplay mechanics one must pay attention to, pros and cons, and alternative passive skill tree choices as well as how to combat specific issues one might experience during leveling and what gear, if any, the build relies upon as well as how difficult it is to acquire.

Here's the build I'm currently playing and I think its entry should serve as a great example of just how much information any build suggestion MUST contain before it should be considered as worth trying for new players - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2036681

The presentation, sleek layout, wealth of information, gear discussion, passives discussion, skill gem presentation and the attentiveness of the creator to the thread... I have decided that all of that must be in any build that I would consider playing or I just won't risk my time trying to play it.

If your current build suggestion dosen't have all of that sort of thing, even if it's not in the same format, it may be that it's just not worth the risk trying to play for a new player who needs much more info.

To sum: Gameplay experience differs drastically between character builds and do your very best to find pre-built builds that have enough information and detailed discussion to verify their legitimacy and answer all the questions you might have about the gameplay experience you should expect.

Lastly - Gear is, of course, a huge deal. One simple change to your gear can drastically change your play experience with a character. IMO, in general, one experiences the need to upgrade gear at least every ten levels, with increased frequency in the early levels. Later, depending upon one's fortunes, you might experience more frequent upgrade needs as you attempt to correct gear issues like low resists, low hitpoints, mana issues with upgraded skillgems, etc..

PS - Good luck! Just from my perspective, I'd recommend trying out a really detailed and tested build that has info which definitely, specifically, supports the gameplay experience you're looking for. Of course, if there are AI issues with summons/pets, then... that's not going to help you. But, apparently, plenty of players have great successes with such builds, so you simply might not be doing something you really need to do. /shrug Hopefully, you chose a pre-built build and can pose questions in its thread. If you didn't choose a prebuilt build and are building it as you go... you chose poorly. :(
"
zartanyen wrote:

unlike Diablo where you get that feeling of what could it be here it's the what trash did I get O look now it's giving me the same piece of trash over and over again to make me feel if I got some of the other trash unique I should feel special.

Are you serious here? After implementation of smartloot in D3 you find only unique trash, you can easily craft it etc. This game is raising kinda 0 ambition to farm anything. The omg a legendary, what could it be feeling was definitely there in the beginning. But yeah as i said smart loot ruined the whole game for most players.

"
zartanyen wrote:

I would expect a ban hammer to swing anyway this isn't blizzard after all.

And that you conclude base on what? Blizzard and banning, what they do is marketing banning. They let bots etc run, till they were able to make enough money to rebuy the game. Then they collect for 3 months some data, ban like 5k as it sounds cool out of 100k + bots and every nucklehead screems, way to go blizz, you rock.

PoE is free2play. If they would ban as softly as blizz, this game would be totally ruined already, as there would be 0 costs for botters. Ofc there are bots, but as you said yourself, its impossible to get them all.

"
CuriousGrel wrote:
...Are you serious here? After implementation of smartloot in D3 you find only unique trash, you can easily craft it etc. This game is raising kinda 0 ambition to farm anything. The omg a legendary, what could it be feeling was definitely there in the beginning. But yeah as i said smart loot ruined the whole game for most players.

D3's "Smart Loot" system didn't ruin the game, it just changed it a bit. What it actually did was enable a much stronger, more popular, "end-game" mechanic, making it easier for players to gear up for running Rifts. And, that made the competitive ladder much more popular, further encouraging players to participate in it.

D3 is an excellent game, certainly orders of magnitude better than it was on release. Blizzard has successfully continued to leverage the gameplay and has still managed to make the game popular and successful.

I do agree, in certain respects, that Legendary drops just aren't as exciting or game-changing as they used to be. But, there's only so many legendary items that game can support without serious expansions. D3 will be nearing an end-of-development life soon, IMO, probably towards the end of this year. (A "Druid" expansion is rumored, but I'm skeptical, but hopeful..)

It's worth noting that "Smart Loot" is... not "Smart." One frequently gets drops that are out-of-class, taking up a drop-slot that could have been something one would have used. So, it really isn't an all-consuming game mechanic.

To bring this OT, I'd like to say that PoE's "Almost completely random affix" system is often infuriating... "Wow, this is a great item! It's got this and that and this and... WTF? Well, that affix ruins this by taking up an affix slot and it's only good for vendor cracking, now..." That's the story behind most of my found drops in PoE. It's purposeful, of course, but it leads to sessions of "constant disillusionment" whenever gear drops, which is one reason I like to play this ARPG..

I'm reminded of the mechanics of D3 on release, which suffered from similar problems. What did not having a "Smart Loot" system mean? It meant that you were only playing the game so that you could try to afford to buy what you needed from the online Marketplace. Every hour you spent in-game was focused on finding something worthy of selling in order to make the currency you needed in order to buy something on the marketplace. Players hated that mechanic with a passion so much that Blizzard threw away all of their development costs for the marketplace by completely removing it. Millions of dollars thrown away, down the drain, and chalked up as a "Bad Idea." That's the only reason the game was saved from being a relative failure. It wasn't the bad PR of the real-money marketplace that did it, it was the bad gameplay present in "playing for things to sell in order to buy an item on the marketplace" that was in danger of destroying the D3 gameplay experience.

PoE purposefully relies on this mechanic. Because of that, they really have to be very careful with how pervasive it is. Luckily for them, they have gameplay mechanics that purposefully reinforce continued real-money purchases, else they wouldn't have as great a constant income stream to support development. But, even with all the great mechanics and gameplay features outside of the ever-present-need for the marketplace, they're going to have to keep an eye on just how that marketplace need influences gameplay.
"
I am beyond sick of the bait and switch tactics of the skill tree. ... load up on energy shield, life, resistance, and of course the like 5 or so mandatory skills because ...

At first, I was in much the same position as you. Now, I look at builds and the passive tree a bit differently. Most of your build is not actually the passive tree, it is your gem, supports and gear that go into it. The passive tree mostly augments particular aspects of that build or enables particular. That is except for Keystone nodes and Ascendancy. The other little nodes are just how you get to your big cool nodes. Don't get me wrong, they can make a large impact, but expect to make some mistakes along the way.

"
Probably wouldn't be that way if I got anything decent as far as gear goes but theirs no excitement when unique drops in this game because it's 99% going to be a unique piece ... O look now it's giving me the same piece of trash over and over again to make me feel if I got some of the other trash unique I should feel special.

Uniques in POE are not like legendaries in Diablo (or any game that uses Diablo-style loot). Uniques almost always have a trade-off and you are supposed to have to make a really tough decision whether to use it or not. It will either a) fit immediately (rare); b) be temporarily useful (less rare); c) require you to build around (uncommon); or d) be useless for your character (common af).

This means that for any given build 99.9% of the uniques are not going to be worth it. As your knowledge grows, though, you'll be able to spot uniques that are useful for other builds. Really, from my limited knowledge, most builds should only be using/chasing 2-4 uniques. Out of those, maybe one will drop and you will have to buy/farm the rest. The rest of the build will be rare equipment/jewels. In fact, these are often just as important (sometimes more so) than uniques.

"
What is the best league or way to play if you want to experience playing a character but keep advancing them finding new gear and new combination in gear, I play solo wondering if SSF would be the way to go? Or play the leagues then buy the unique items from that league with my standard league character?

I like the league changeup. If I'm not enjoying a character, it gets scrapped when it moves to standard. If I like the build, I'll experiment with it in standard. Same happens when I play HC. IMHO, I always do the challenge league and often try at least 2 new builds with 1 old one.

According to some ppl: The first goal of most players should be to find a league starter build that they can enjoy just enough and progress well into maps. The league starter build is basically just there to earn and fund your "super cool wanna try all that crap" concept builds. In general, I agree with this to a degree. 3 months with one character that is not as enjoyable as I thought can be a bit long. 2 weeks, though is perfect for it and if I like it, I'll play it more. However, when I earn enough to begin funding my neato uberbuild, I begin working with that as soon as I lose interest in my starter. IF it is good enough, it might even become my new starter.

I, too, often play solo (about 60% of time). I have found that I don't particularly enjoy SSF unless that toon is HC and I want a true HC experience. My experience though is that POE is better with friends, like many games. Good friends can help with those tough challenges and you can make more meaningful/useful trades. You also can either envy or be envied constantly and POE handles voice chat on console pretty well. Consolidating certain resources can put some seemingly unattainable goals/challenge easily within grasp.

Hope this all helps

"
LogicalFuzz wrote:
...At first, I was in much the same position as you. Now, I look at builds and the passive tree a bit differently. Most of your build is not actually the passive tree, it is your gem, supports and gear that go into it. The passive tree mostly augments particular aspects of that build or enables particular. That is except for Keystone nodes and Ascendancy. The other little nodes are just how you get to your big cool nodes. Don't get me wrong, they can make a large impact, but expect to make some mistakes along the way.

As a new player, one thing I figure out was that the passive tree has some truly big impacts when it comes down to multiplicative effects.

A "10% to life" doesn't sound like much if you have 1k life (as if), but if you have 4k life, it's a noticeable difference and could mean the difference between getting one-shot by a boss or defeating that boss. Which is better, an additional 300 life or an additional 400 life?

Just as you say, gear is a big deal. But, the synergy between gear stats and Passive skill stats can't be understated, either. It's a really smart system that can reward, or penalize, the player twice over for making good.. or bad choices. :)

"
Uniques in POE are not like legendaries in Diablo (or any game that uses Diablo-style loot). Uniques almost always have a trade-off and you are supposed to have to make a really tough decision whether to use it or not. It will either a) fit immediately (rare); b) be temporarily useful (less rare); c) require you to build around (uncommon); or d) be useless for your character (common af).

Knowing that there were differences, I was cautious about uniques when I first started. However, I still found myself trying to figure out how to work a particularly cool unique or three into the build. Mistakes were made...

Uniques are there to give you an ability that may not be available, otherwise. And, typically, they have few other benefits and often have downsides. Even if there isn't a blatant downside listed on its affixes, one still has to think about what they're not able to do with that slot, like pile on some more resists or get some extra hitpoints. Running a build with so many uniques that it hampers your flexibility in getting the vital stats you need is probably a common problem with new players.

All those great "end-game" capable builds don't always tell you that you shouldn't be running all those uniques until you have the other high-level rares you will need to support running all of those uniques. In the build I'm running now, I can't run one of the suggested uniques because I can't afford to lose the resists until I can get a couple of pieces of excellent gear in other slots. Too many uniques, too soon, regardless of build, can hamstring a character.

"
According to some ppl: The first goal of most players should be to find a league starter build that they can enjoy just enough and progress well into maps. The league starter build is basically just there to earn and fund your "super cool wanna try all that crap" concept builds. In general, I agree with this to a degree. 3 months with one character that is not as enjoyable as I thought can be a bit long. 2 weeks, though is perfect for it and if I like it, I'll play it more. However, when I earn enough to begin funding my neato uberbuild, I begin working with that as soon as I lose interest in my starter. IF it is good enough, it might even become my new starter.

Being a Season-play fan on D3, I was happy that PoE had leagues. And, it's good to see that one can actually have a viable end-game experience when running more than just one build. (Not always true in D3, especially if one is pushing ladders and doesn't have a group to farm with.)

So, I'll be taking your approach, as well, in the next League. I'll run a build that's easy to level and that can farm maps or labs a bit so I can then switch over to a more "end-game" sort of character build that will be, in part, supported by it. The only limitation is, of course, stash space... Gotta develop some "Stash Discipline" and stop collecting all those "shiny things." :)
I think much of it comes from all of those negative stigmas and crap towards gaming itself- for example, when people complain about kids being too lazy, one of the main targets they go after is video games. People think that kids who like video games don't like to go outside or get exercise, or aren't part of any extracurricular activities like sports. Then there's that whole stereotype on people in general who are into games, computers, any sort of techy stuff- they're anti-social geeks who have no life, etc.
Last edited by fk6284755 on Mar 8, 2018, 12:21:17 AM
This post is worthy of someone that would play it on Xbox. Good job, everything has been catered to you in all other games that were easy for you. Now you have some challenge and you complain about it... Console gamers at their finest.
IGN: RainbowLotus - Protip_Maraude

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info