I play for 4 months now and still not understanding the whole game

Hi everyone !

(My english is not that good so pls try to forgive me)

So I am playing Path of Exile for now 3-4 months and I literraly falled in love with this game (I got over than 400 hours lol), I mean it's an amazing game, and I think it's as hard as some mathematics lessons, right ? But here is my problem : you know in 4 months I had enough time to understand the main principles of the game, like how to run maps, how to leveling, gearing, etc, ... However, something remains a true mystery to me : getting dps.
Indeed, I'm currently playing a wander build 'cause I saw a lot of people playing it, and it seems to be amazing to play, soooo fun. But, even though I'm following a build (not exactly the same of course but I got the big lines of the build), I just cant reach those millions dps with barrage and those 50k dps with kb... For barrage, I got 23k, and 20k for kb...

I have a nice gear, still having piscator, and maybe the problem comes from there, but I do think that even though I get a better wand, my barrage dps would not go over 30k, I guess...*
So I'm just lost.
I can run t15 map easely, but the clear speed is very low compared to some others...

So here is my question : why are my dps that low and how can I improve em ?

Thank you for answering and for you attention, and have a nice end of the league exiles ! ;)

(I have no idea of how I can link my character but it's name Popper_Papotte if needed)

Last bumped on Feb 18, 2018, 12:56:22 AM
Later on in the game things become extremely incremental. Is your gear at 20% quality? Flasks? Gems? All gems level 20? Using the best jewels available? If you're using uniques, are they rolled on the high or low end for stats? For rare gear, do you have useless stats on some that could be replaced with something that increase damage?

By the point you seem to be at (doing tier 15) then it's going to be very slow, expensive upgrades to hit that max DPS you're seeing in a guide. It's usually not completely necessary to reach that level or speed anyway.

Of course, you could get a ridiculously lucky drop and instantly pay for that gear and be maxed in less than a week too I guess. Depends a lot on luck also
All gems aren't 20% quality, only those that can be improved by that. They're all lvl 20 ofc, my flasks are 20% quality too. I got 5 uniques (QOTF, piscator, thunderfist, Starkonja and Atziri's step) and their rolls are not maxed but let's say they're above a medium lvl, I think.
For my rare I do think it's optimal, but when I see my clear speed, it might not be that optimal...

I guess you should check my char (if you got time of course) and tell me what's wrong/can be improved.
I'm lvl 91 so it's normal that I dont have that much dps I'm aiming at, but still, I think something's wrong in my build but I dont what...

Also remember that the DPS numbers they are claiming are only when all flasks are active, all curses are applied, and all circumstances are perfect.

Even if you can reach that perfect moment, your tooltip will NOT show it.

Path of Building can give you a really good estimate of realistic DPS vs. perfect circumstance DPS.
Okay I understand, PoB shows 14k average dps and 50k total dps for kb, which one is displayed in game ?
I don't know a lot about your build but just looking at you're weapon you're missing 8% attack speed and 4% spell damage. I'd call that particular weapon a lower roll since it's on the mid to low end for stats, about the same with your other gear

Have you done uber lab yet? The tree says you're missing 2 points, and even if those 2 points don't matter then getting uber lab enchantments might (depends on the build)

Watch videos if they have any, see if maybe you're playing differently than they are and might need to adjust your playstyle. Usually their advertised DPS is maxed out in perfect conditions with all buffs active, they don't get that damage 100% of the time

The fact that you're at level 91 and blowing through T15 says you're probably about at the peak for what most players consider 'The End' of Path of Exile
No I have not done the last lab yet cauze I dont find the last trial, lol...

So I must change my piscator for another one ? And what do you mean by" the same with your other gear ?", is my gear pretty bad ?

Thank you for answering btw ;)
If you're clearing T15 then your gear's not bad. I just meant if you Google the names of the uniques you're wearing, and look at the range of stats they can have, most of your unique gear is on the mid range of those rolls. This is where the "expensive incremental" upgrade comes in, but I don't know how much those uniques are on the higher rolls either. Could be cheap.

And again, if you're clearing T15 you don't have to upgrade your weapon... but getting another 8% attack speed and 4% spell damage if you can find a maxed out one would surely help. Can't guarantee that'll max out your damage but my point is little things like that have to be solved everywhere to hit the highest damage possible, and at that point the sane start a new character. But it's up to you.

Join Global 820 and people will usually be giving away trials
I looked very quickly at your profile but you seem to have no accuracy at all so it's very likely that your chance to hit is super low which hurts you a lot more than you might think.

Other obvious one is getting a 6 link instead of 5 link, quality on gems, better jewelry with flat damage and %elemental damage with skills, Vinktars with flat damage to attacks instead of conversion (you have no phys damage to convert), Icebite should be in your boots so your herald can give frenzy charges, right now on scorching ray it isn't doing anything. Last ascendandy will also do a lot for you.

Best to do would be to post in whatever guide you are following and ask for a gear check.

Oh also, don't focus too much on the numbers posted by people in guides, they usually do it for bragging right, using unacheivable circumstances (like 50% shock damage bonus).
Thank you all for your answers it helps me a lot !

Indeed I left away accuracy, is it that important ? Because I don't miss my skills a lot but I trust you. I can get some on rings/amulets/others ? Which is the best ?

I got a 5L on purpose because I saw that people were playing (go next page I missclicked and posted twice)
Last edited by SseregonN on Feb 16, 2018, 3:25:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info