spectral shield throw

"
ffoD wrote:
"
Shppy wrote:
Why would shield defense nodes scale your damage? The damage is derived from the armor/ev/es on your shield itself, there's no reason to think inc defense nodes would affect it.

It's not really that complicated.

-It'll have a base attack time (stated to be 1.2 right now, we'll see if that stands... presumably this'll be the base attack time for shield attacks if more are introduced in the future).

-It'll be an attack made using your shield, so it won't scale with modifiers that depend on your weapon and won't scale from unarmed modifiers. Generic phys/ele/chaos damage would still work ofc, as would projectile damage, and attack damage, but not melee damage and not damage with X weapon type. Physical damage with shield equipped would work as well. Same sorta thing goes with attack speed, attack speed with X weapon type won't work, but generic attack speed and attack speed with shield equipped will.

-It'll have flat physical damage based on gem level, so leveling with scale up the base damage. I'd guess up to something like 300-400 ave phys at level 20 to make pure ES shields competitive with armor/ev ones, but we'll see.

-It'll also have scaling based on the ES/armor/evasion of the shield you're using, i.e. just based on the armor/evasion/ES rating at the top of the shield. It won't gain anything extra from modifiers like Surrenders extra armor if you've blocked recently, and shield defense nodes or global increased armor/evasion/ES modifiers are irrelevant.

Because the nodes buff the defenses on your SHIELD spesifically? It may not work. Im skeptical as well. But theese nodes are rarely picked up today and it would make sense if ggg adds stuff to the game which would utilize these nodes.

I have done some testing in pob and 2k armour will not be enough to make it a competetive skill compared to say, spectral throw.

But it's way too early to be negative. I will test it before I judge the skill.

The shield defense nodes was the first think came to my mind but don't forget that you can build a full defensive/max block gladiator with more damage than using Sunder, for example. You can pick all those defensive nodes, add good defense AND damage, getting free points from all those nodes you won't use putting in weapon damage.

Of course, I need first to run some tests, but I think it will be viable.
shield defence nodes wont scale it, theyre just like armour, evasion and es nodes that only apply to your shield, normal defence nodes apply to all your gear including your shield, these things are not going to scale it. You can pretty much bank on that.

You dont know the flat damage of the skill with a lvl20 gem yet, theres no way you can know what damage can be achieved with the skill.
"
Gackuto wrote:
"
ffoD wrote:
"
Shppy wrote:
Why would shield defense nodes scale your damage? The damage is derived from the armor/ev/es on your shield itself, there's no reason to think inc defense nodes would affect it.

It's not really that complicated.

-It'll have a base attack time (stated to be 1.2 right now, we'll see if that stands... presumably this'll be the base attack time for shield attacks if more are introduced in the future).

-It'll be an attack made using your shield, so it won't scale with modifiers that depend on your weapon and won't scale from unarmed modifiers. Generic phys/ele/chaos damage would still work ofc, as would projectile damage, and attack damage, but not melee damage and not damage with X weapon type. Physical damage with shield equipped would work as well. Same sorta thing goes with attack speed, attack speed with X weapon type won't work, but generic attack speed and attack speed with shield equipped will.

-It'll have flat physical damage based on gem level, so leveling with scale up the base damage. I'd guess up to something like 300-400 ave phys at level 20 to make pure ES shields competitive with armor/ev ones, but we'll see.

-It'll also have scaling based on the ES/armor/evasion of the shield you're using, i.e. just based on the armor/evasion/ES rating at the top of the shield. It won't gain anything extra from modifiers like Surrenders extra armor if you've blocked recently, and shield defense nodes or global increased armor/evasion/ES modifiers are irrelevant.

Because the nodes buff the defenses on your SHIELD spesifically? It may not work. Im skeptical as well. But theese nodes are rarely picked up today and it would make sense if ggg adds stuff to the game which would utilize these nodes.

I have done some testing in pob and 2k armour will not be enough to make it a competetive skill compared to say, spectral throw.

But it's way too early to be negative. I will test it before I judge the skill.

The shield defense nodes was the first think came to my mind but don't forget that you can build a full defensive/max block gladiator with more damage than using Sunder, for example. You can pick all those defensive nodes, add good defense AND damage, getting free points from all those nodes you won't use putting in weapon damage.

Of course, I need first to run some tests, but I think it will be viable.

Those defense nodes would buff the shield armour form 2k to 10k+ and would grant you 2k ish flat phys dmg which would be really cool. The question isn't if its viable. The question is if those nodes will scale the flat phys dmg from the shields armour/evasion.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
shield defence nodes wont scale it, theyre just like armour, evasion and es nodes that only apply to your shield, normal defence nodes apply to all your gear including your shield, these things are not going to scale it. You can pretty much bank on that.

You dont know the flat damage of the skill with a lvl20 gem yet, theres no way you can know what damage can be achieved with the skill.

That's a very good point. I completely forgot how the example might actually be a lvl 1 gem.
Last edited by ffoD on Feb 16, 2018, 5:09:22 PM
Wording is "defenses from" and not "defenses of", so they apply to you, not the shield.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Lets think it better:

Level 1 Spectral Shield Throw
-> Damage Effectiveness 100%
-> Attack speed 1.2 per second (because of the 20%more)
-> +270/400 flat phy damage with good shield(no crit included) 2000 armour/evasion shield

Total DpS = 402

level 1 Lacerate
-> Damage effectiveness 95%
-> 1.5 skill(2 attacks with 25% less attack speed)
-> 400 physical damage per second with good weapon(no crit included)

Total DpS = 570

"
ffoD wrote:

Those defense nodes would buff the shield armour form 2k to 10k+ and would grant you 2k ish flat phys dmg which would be really cool. The question isn't if its viable. The question is if those nodes will scale the flat phys dmg from the shields armour/evasion.

Asking that question is answering it. 2k flat phys damage, top kek.
"
HoockBr wrote:
Lets think it better:

-> +270/400 flat phy damage with good shield(no crit included) 2000 armour/evasion shield

Total DpS = 402

level 1 Lacerate

Total DpS = 570

2000 armor shields are a bit cheaper than 400 DpS onehanders.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
HoockBr wrote:
Lets think it better:

Total DpS = 402

level 1 Lacerate

Total DpS = 570

Don't forget how Spectral Shield throw hits twice with -25% less dmg on the second hit.
"
ffoD wrote:
"
HoockBr wrote:
Lets think it better:

Total DpS = 402

level 1 Lacerate

Total DpS = 570

Don't forget how Spectral Shield throw hits twice with -25% less dmg on the second hit.

The way i understand it doesnt hit twice the main target with those projectiles.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info