[3.10] From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide

Yep, thanks for your suggestion but I think I'm overlevel already (according to monster level on top right). Maybe I'll need higher health and improve my resistance. Btw, I made my chars public.
"
gideros9742 wrote:
Yep, thanks for your suggestion but I think I'm overlevel already (according to monster level on top right). Maybe I'll need higher health and improve my resistance. Btw, I made my chars public.

You have assembled a random collection of useless uniques. Why ? Most of your items are completely wrong. Reread the guide and get items that help you with life and resists. Not random crap that hurt your damage like Hrimsorrow. Keep only the claws for now.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
I just wanted to thank you for this guide. I chose it for my first league character and it's been very easy to play, level, and most importantly, it is enjoyable. My current character is 91 with about 6k life. I died a lot during leveling and occasionally on some maps. I'm at the point wondering if it's worth the exalts to get up to 6.5k life to boss push or start a new char. Either way, this guide has taught me so much.

I feel that low recovery maps are pretty tough to clear fast. I was a noob and didn't realized it affected leech rate at first. Also, the hardest part of this build as a noob is using slower projectiles. I walked into twinned boss shrine with two piety and couldn't even catch them to get a hit cause with slower projectiles, the projectile distance is basically melee.

Last edited by aCixx on Apr 6, 2018, 2:28:38 PM
"
aCixx wrote:
I just wanted to thank you for this guide. I chose it for my first league character and it's been very easy to play, level, and most importantly, it is enjoyable. My current character is 91 with about 6k life. I died a lot during leveling and occasionally on some maps. I'm at the point wondering if it's worth the exalts to get up to 6.5k life to boss push or start a new char. Either way, this guide has taught me so much.

I feel that low recovery maps are pretty tough to clear fast. I was a noob and didn't realized it affected leech rate at first. Also, the hardest part of this build as a noob is using slower projectiles. I walked into twinned boss shrine with two piety and couldn't even catch them to get a hit cause with slower projectiles, the projectile distance is basically melee.

Why give up on this if you're having fun ? You can do the entire game with it.

Tanking bosses can be hard if you're not doing enough damage and so are not leeching enough. Also you have to use whirling blades a lot. ST is the core of the build but WB is the 2nd most important thing. It can save you in dangerous situations. Practically you only die if you get one-shot because if you see your health going down from multiple hits you just need to whirl away for a second. It's also invaluable for tanking fast bosses like Piety.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide

Hmm. That is a good question. I'm probably just cheap and don't want to spend the big currency for minor upgrades since it took me a while to build up my bank roll. At the same, I overleveled bad during the campaign since I was new and I'm level 91 and I haven't done a tier 14 map yet cause it's taken me a while to build up my map stash even when dropping tons of currency into it. I've just recently started accumulating 12-13's at a good rate.
So with hatred rolling, enemies will mostly always be chilled. I marked chilled in PoB, and suddenly hypothermia shot way up in its dps calculations, so much so that it outdoes crit damage. What say you? I'm not that experienced of a player, so there could be something I'm missing, but it seems better.
"
iGigabyted wrote:
So with hatred rolling, enemies will mostly always be chilled. I marked chilled in PoB, and suddenly hypothermia shot way up in its dps calculations, so much so that it outdoes crit damage. What say you? I'm not that experienced of a player, so there could be something I'm missing, but it seems better.

Yeah there is something you're missing. Monster life. If what you care about is killing mobs then indeed Hypothermia would be good. But mobs will die even on a 4L, there's no point in optimizing the build for that. It's bosses we care about because those are the ones that require optimization. Hypothermia doesn't even work there, much less be optimal.

For an enemy to be chilled you need to do cold damage equal to 0,33% of his health with a single hit. Shaper has a health of 20190261 and on top of that he has 40% cold resistance. So we need a single hit from an ST to do 92K cold damage on him. Now considering that cold damage is only 14% of our total damage you clearly see that we can never chill him. So for the hard bosses hypothermia doesn't work.

"
aCixx wrote:
Hmm. That is a good question. I'm probably just cheap and don't want to spend the big currency for minor upgrades since it took me a while to build up my bank roll. At the same, I overleveled bad during the campaign since I was new and I'm level 91 and I haven't done a tier 14 map yet cause it's taken me a while to build up my map stash even when dropping tons of currency into it. I've just recently started accumulating 12-13's at a good rate.

Map drops have been terrible for everyone in the league. GGG improved this in a patch but most people have unfortunately given up.

"
aCixx wrote:
I walked into twinned boss shrine with two piety and couldn't even catch them to get a hit cause with slower projectiles, the projectile distance is basically melee.

There are times, especially when they won't stand still, that you are better off using Greater Multiple Projectiles. Slow projectiles may do more damage, but if you can't stay on the target, it's not always best. I've considered leveling up another gem for that slot that would keep the speed and range of GMP, but add some damage, though I haven't researched what would be best for that (if there is something at all).

Edit: With a little experimenting, I think I found a decent solution to mobs which won't stop moving, making slow projectiles cost you a lot of DPS, even with Whirling Blades. I swapped out the Faster Attacks that I have on my Charged Dash (where the build has portal), and put that in place of Slower Projectiles. The DPS only drops a little, and it allows me to attack from a little range, but not too much range. I might experiment with this on the Uber Elder and Shaper. Having a little extra range to play with should make things a lot easier.
Last edited by Bystander36 on Apr 8, 2018, 2:59:51 AM
Funny enough, I made the decision to up my gear for the final boss push. I beat the double piety shrine today so easy with GMP instead of slower projectiles.

I will say when they crushed me, it was a 2 person party.

"
Bystander36 wrote:
"
aCixx wrote:
I walked into twinned boss shrine with two piety and couldn't even catch them to get a hit cause with slower projectiles, the projectile distance is basically melee.

There are times, especially when they won't stand still, that you are better off using Greater Multiple Projectiles. Slow projectiles may do more damage, but if you can't stay on the target, it's not always best. I've considered leveling up another gem for that slot that would keep the speed and range of GMP, but add some damage, though I haven't researched what would be best for that (if there is something at all).

Edit: With a little experimenting, I think I found a decent solution to mobs which won't stop moving, making slow projectiles cost you a lot of DPS, even with Whirling Blades. I swapped out the Faster Attacks that I have on my Charged Dash (where the build has portal), and put that in place of Slower Projectiles. The DPS only drops a little, and it allows me to attack from a little range, but not too much range. I might experiment with this on the Uber Elder and Shaper. Having a little extra range to play with should make things a lot easier.

Yes faster attacks is a good alternative. But don't forget that we have PB so it's not only not using SP that's hurting your DPS, it's also range. So even though you're able to hit them from a distance you really should still try to tank them whenever possible.

For the Shaper I don't see any point in not using SP. He hardly moves, just teleports a bit in a rather small area and he has no minions. For Uber Elder it may be useful as there are lots of madness propagators (I believe this is what they're called) being summoned all the time. If you don't mind having your inventory open during the fight you can just keep a gem on your mouse and alternate between SP and GMP whenever needed. I do this for the Chimera guardian, although I don't know how it would work on Uber which is a lot more hectic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info