How to Program Any Key to Any Symbol

"
Thank you for opening this thread.
My name is Lucas, I really prefer to be just known as Luc. They mean the same thing; light in Latin.
I have been apart of isometry programming since the summer of second grade. I'm now 24 years old.
I am diagnosed as a schizophrenic. Not any other delimiter, just schizophrenic. That means my reality and my imagination are the same because my 5 senses don't work. I have to imagine what is real for it to even exist for me.

This will really carry on, I'm so deep there seems to be no end to the continuation.

Also, how do I do thread title?
I want to be able to use a program to photoshop my own fonts, changing my keyboard keys to those glyphs/characters. Please, help me!

Someone has done it, it must be possible how else do I type this.
Last bumped on Jan 23, 2018, 10:27:19 PM
"
Omniend wrote:
"
My name is Lucas, I really prefer to be just known as Luc. They mean the same thing; light in Latin.
I have been apart of isometry programming since the summer of second grade. I'm now 24 years old.
I am diagnosed as a schizophrenic. Not any other delimiter, just schizophrenic. That means my reality and my imagination are the same because my 5 senses don't work. I have to imagine what is real for it to even exist for me.

This will really carry on, I'm so deep there seems to be no end to the continuation.

Are you asking for a way to change what the system generates when you type on a certain key, change what is printed on the keyboard or both?

Examples

Option 1) You hit the key where the letter Y is now, but you want it to generate a triangle or a different letter.

Option 2) You want to be able to print labels with different symbols that you can put on the keys, but have them still generate the original character. You type the triangle symbol but it generates the letter Y.

Option 3)You want both. You want to replace the symbols with new printed ones and then have the system generate those. If you typed the key that used to be the letter Y, it might now look like a triangle on the keyboard, and it would generate a triangle.

While there might be options to remap the keyboard completely, a problem might arise when you are trying to use it in a normal fashion, such as on a website, typing in an address.

It is possible as evidenced by older Dvorak keyboard remappings (which weren't directly supported by Windows as they are now - https://www.maketecheasier.com/remapping-keyboards-dvorak-colemak-windows/

If you are looking for something that will allow you to type up documents and have different word/symbols than a customized font is probably the best option. I've never ventured into anything like that before. but if find a font forum and ask there, maybe they will have some suggestions.

Good Luck!

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
https://autohotkey.com/
(I'm also an admin there).

great forum if you want any help, and a fairly easy language to start with. Just make sure to post in the correct section.
there's also an irc channel and discord channel, info can be found here: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59

"
Option 1) You hit the key where the letter Y is now, but you want it to generate a triangle or a different letter.

y::send, 🔺
or
y::send, banana
or
y::a ; remap y to a

"
Option 2) You want to be able to print labels with different symbols that you can put on the keys, but have them still generate the original character. You type the triangle symbol but it generates the letter Y.

use a hotstring:
:?:🔺::y
you actually have to type the triangle, can't copy/paste it and get a 'y' in return. I have no idea how you'd type it.

"
3)You want both. You want to replace the symbols with new printed ones and then have the system generate those. If you typed the key that used to be the letter Y, it might now look like a triangle on the keyboard, and it would generate a triangle.

I don't exactly follow, but maybe this:

$y::send, 🔺 ; the $ makes ahk not trigger itself
:?:🔺::y

note: the triangle used above is Unicode, or as modern people call it, an emoji.
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Jan 19, 2018, 9:10:50 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Omniend wrote:
"

Are you asking for a way to change what the system generates when you type on a certain key, change what is printed on the keyboard or both?

Examples

Option 3)You want both. You want to replace the symbols with new printed ones and then have the system generate those. If you typed the key that used to be the letter Y, it might now look like a triangle on the keyboard, and it would generate a triangle.

While there might be options to remap the keyboard completely, a problem might arise when you are trying to use it in a normal fashion, such as on a website, typing in an address.

It is possible as evidenced by older Dvorak keyboard remappings (which weren't directly supported by Windows as they are now - https://www.maketecheasier.com/remapping-keyboards-dvorak-colemak-windows/

If you are looking for something that will allow you to type up documents and have different word/symbols than a customized font is probably the best option. I've never ventured into anything like that before. but if find a font forum and ask there, maybe they will have some suggestions.

Good Luck!

While I appreciate both of your responses, neither can assist me! It seems I have made the mistake of giving you the belief I can make fonts. This is not so! Additionally, I cannot program or script; period. I do not comprehend protocols. If a function leads to another function, why isn't that function already the function it calls? - Answer: IDK, hence no programming skills.
Last edited by Omniend on Mar 24, 2018, 8:07:14 PM
yy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info