How does the RNG work on Path of Exile?

It really doesn't work. I have people in my guild that are no lifers and get crap in every league and others that play less than a third of them and with get triple the amount of exalts. I am not talking about one league, it has been constant for 6 years. There has never been a league where the 2 no lifers have ended with more currency or high tier gear. The "law of averages" are not even in play at this point.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Hows work RNG here?
If you`ll embrace it, you will likely say total `fuck off` to this game and stop playing it seriously or at all.

But I can make it lil clear.
Lets start.

1. Usual item have 6 mods.
2. Each mod have up to 15 tiers (lvls). T1 is the best.
3. Each mod also have rng of values varying from 1-10 to 1-300 or so.

Now the most dissapointing part.
So here we don't have target-able drops. It means we are relying on probabilities.
Gaining of the best item probability is comparable to probability of the genesis of life on a whole random planet in the Universe.
A lil math

6 mods: 1/15 (0.0666666666666667) x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 already = 5.8527663465935275720164609053805e-9

How much is this in percents? 0.00000006%? See?
Heheh.

In other words, you need to drop, identify and recognize 600 000 000 RARE (!!!!) items to get the best just speaking about 3 affix + 3 prefixes system only. Need to point how much time u need to do it and how many wisdom scrolls only to have? ,) And there are also probabilities what said rare items not having 6 mods rolled at all. Like they have open suffixes or affixes, i.e. just absent of those. So its even worse than 600 mil..

And this is just a start.
Then we go to the numerical values...

But I`m just sure the numbers here will be just unreadable for usual users.
I will just say what RNG here just for one thing - to punish you very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very hard lol.

And the odds of gaining good item drop are not even microscopic small, and its not even nano small.
Its way worse.

Thats all I wanted to show.
TY

Hope u now got the picture xD
Last edited by DarkJen on Jul 13, 2018, 7:38:19 PM
"
Hows work RNG here?
If you`ll embrace it, you will likely say total `fuck off` to this game and stop playing it seriously or at all.

But I can make it lil clear.
Lets start.

1. Usual item have 6 mods.
2. Each mod have up to 15 tiers (lvls). T1 is the best.
3. Each mod also have rng of values varying from 1-10 to 1-300 or so.

Now the most dissapointing part.
So here we don't have target-able drops. It means we are relying on probabilities.
Gaining of the best item probability is comparable to probability of the genesis of life on a whole random planet in the Universe.
A lil math

6 mods: 1/15 (0.0666666666666667) x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 x 1/15 already = 5.8527663465935275720164609053805e-9

How much is this in percents? 0.00000006%? See?
Heheh.

In other words, you need to drop, identify and recognize 600 000 000 RARE (!!!!) items to get the best just speaking about 3 affix + 3 prefixes system only. Need to point how much time u need to do it and how many wisdom scrolls only to have? ,) And there are also probabilities what said rare items not having 6 mods rolled at all. Like they have open suffixes or affixes, i.e. just absent of those. So its even worse than 600 mil..

And this is just a start.
Then we go to the numerical values...

But I`m just sure the numbers here will be just unreadable for usual users.
I will just say what RNG here just for one thing - to punish you very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very hard lol.

And the odds of gaining good item drop are not even microscopic small, and its not even nano small.
Its way worse.

Thats all I wanted to show.
TY

Hope u now got the picture xD

atleast for me i prefer bet a chance of 1 in 600mill in the lottery instead of a digital item worth some ex :D
"
pepetribo wrote:
atleast for me i prefer bet a chance of 1 in 600mill in the lottery instead of a digital item worth some ex :D

Yeeeeeah lol. And also need to keep in mind what this 600 mil is only about single and one item lol. And we need to equip about dozen of items to have build what works ,)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Being "random" doesn't mean that six things necessarily have equal chances of occurring.

RNG as used by GGG is being referred to as "weighted rng". So in the above post for example chancing a leather belt for which there are 6 possible unique belts, the first rng use is to roll the belt type (magic, rare, or unique) and if the 1st result is unique then a 2nd rng roll is done to determine which of the 6 unique belts the result will be. Since it is weighted rng then the value of the unique belt will inversely determine the chance of rolling it. Of the 6 unique leather belts the least valuable should have the highest chance of rolling and the most valuable HH belt should be the least likely to roll. GGG probably has a lookup table for determining this but I don't know for sure. Does anyone else know?

Now how the C++ programming language GGG uses to code PoE does the rnd() function is up for discussion as that brings up the fact that most rnd() functions in our programming languages are "pseudo random" and not 100% pure random number generators. Usually pseudo random number generation is based off the internal clock timer in our motherboard chipset (used to be an i8253 IC in the IBM PC and later an i8042 in the IBM AT and newer computers but now resides in the southbridge in our chipsets). This timer circuit is reset to 0 at power on and counts down from 0 = 65536 (16 bit number) to 0 again and then generates a hardware IRQ (interrupt request) so in the original IBM PC it was used in the time function and it updated the "tick" counter every 55 ms. The function rnd() could read that tick number and use it as the seed for it's random number generator. Since the value of this is changing every 55 ms it is usually good enough for use in a rnd() function for most purposes. GGG or some one who knows the internals of their C++ programming language would have to come in and tell us exactly what the rnd() function is using as its source to seed the rnd() function.

I've read in past years that to have a truly random number generator there would need to be a way to sample pure white noise or other such completely random sources (like cosmic background radiation).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 13, 2018, 10:56:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info