How does the RNG work on Path of Exile?

This is a broad question, but I am looking for a good read on the statistics of how the game's rolls work. There have been times I get the same item several times over. Once or twice I used a chaos orb on a map and got very similar results the 2nd time I used it to the original specifics. Some people claim they never had a mirror drop while others say they get one every league.

I'm not a very good strategist at this game yet, but I know the knowlege of this will help me.

Including the rare times I see an enemy jumping close to me and is suddenly much further away a millisecond later.

https://youtu.be/Ac4Z1VMsE3E this is what I am talking about. I'm wondering if anyone who reads this thread caught a glitch that allows them to manipulate the enemies or maps apparent "randomness".
Last edited by ThunderBiome on Jan 14, 2018, 4:18:41 AM
Last bumped on Jul 13, 2018, 8:27:11 PM
"
Completed 23 ChallengesThunderBiome wrote:
This is a broad question, but I am looking for a good read on the statistics of how the game's rolls work. There have been times I get the same item several times over. Once or twice I used a chaos orb on a map and got very similar results the 2nd time I used it to the original specifics. Some people claim they never had a mirror drop while others say they get one every league.

I'm not a very good strategist at this game yet, but I know the knowlege of this will help me.

Including the rare times I see an enemy jumping close to me and is suddenly much further away a millisecond later.

That's the thing about RNG - knowledge does not help at all.
Take roulette, for example, it's very easy to understand that with the wheel spinning this way and the ball rolling that, that it will eventually fall into one of the 37(?) pockets and that the result depends (mainly) on the force the croupier used to spin the wheel and get the ball rolling and on the initial position of the wheel, which will never be identical.
It's also very easy to see that the chance of betting on the right number is 1/37, betting on the right colour is 18/37 (because the 0 is green) and the same for betting on odd or even.
This knowledge does not at all help you to get rich playing roulette.

Same with PoE.
Some things worth knowing, however, is that getting 6 sockets and especially 6 links on an item can be very hard, so if you want a guaranteed result use Vorici for that.
Finding a rare with just the right mods is also not likely, so don't waste chaos orbs but use trade (unless you play SSF, like me, then there's only crafting or rerolling with chaos orbs.
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
"
Completed 16 ChallengesMikrotherion wrote:
"
Completed 23 ChallengesThunderBiome wrote:
This is a broad question, but I am looking for a good read on the statistics of how the game's rolls work. There have been times I get the same item several times over. Once or twice I used a chaos orb on a map and got very similar results the 2nd time I used it to the original specifics. Some people claim they never had a mirror drop while others say they get one every league.

I'm not a very good strategist at this game yet, but I know the knowlege of this will help me.

Including the rare times I see an enemy jumping close to me and is suddenly much further away a millisecond later.

That's the thing about RNG - knowledge does not help at all.
Take roulette, for example, it's very easy to understand that with the wheel spinning this way and the ball rolling that, that it will eventually fall into one of the 37(?) pockets and that the result depends (mainly) on the force the croupier used to spin the wheel and get the ball rolling and on the initial position of the wheel, which will never be identical.
It's also very easy to see that the chance of betting on the right number is 1/37, betting on the right colour is 18/37 (because the 0 is green) and the same for betting on odd or even.
This knowledge does not at all help you to get rich playing roulette.

Same with PoE.
Some things worth knowing, however, is that getting 6 sockets and especially 6 links on an item can be very hard, so if you want a guaranteed result use Vorici for that.
Finding a rare with just the right mods is also not likely, so don't waste chaos orbs but use trade (unless you play SSF, like me, then there's only crafting or rerolling with chaos orbs.


True with chancing an item, but watching this video (not PoE related, but entirely RNG of obsolete systems) https://youtu.be/Bgh30BiWG58 reminded me there is a strict mechanic to the "randomness".
This video is totally unrelated to PoE and you cannot draw any conclusions from it.
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
It randomly generates numbers.
Love it when people with basically a high school level of understanding mathematics and/or statistics jump in and ask questions about stuff they have no basis formed for understanding.

No. Wait. Exactly not that.
"
Completed 23 ChallengesThunderBiome wrote:
This is a broad question, but I am looking for a good read on the statistics of how the game's rolls work. There have been times I get the same item several times over. Once or twice I used a chaos orb on a map and got very similar results the 2nd time I used it to the original specifics. Some people claim they never had a mirror drop while others say they get one every league.

I'm not a very good strategist at this game yet, but I know the knowlege of this will help me.

Including the rare times I see an enemy jumping close to me and is suddenly much further away a millisecond later.

https://youtu.be/Ac4Z1VMsE3E this is what I am talking about. I'm wondering if anyone who reads this thread caught a glitch that allows them to manipulate the enemies or maps apparent "randomness".



People make some crazy claims.
I did an algorytme to generate random numbers on my old website and I used timestamp for the 1st input. I'm pretty sure PoE use the same input because timestamp is never the same as the time grow each second after second. Now add a 2nd input like your caracter name and you have a unique number for each guy in the game. Dont forget that everything in PoE use some RNG so I dont think the algorytme has a huge calculation.

btw timestamp = number of seconds since january 1st 1970.

Glowing green mouse cursor plz.
"
Completed 19 ChallengesFULL_SYNTEC wrote:
I did an algorytme to generate random numbers on my old website and I used timestamp for the 1st input. I'm pretty sure PoE use the same input because timestamp is never the same as the time grow each second after second. Now add a 2nd input like your caracter name and you have a unique number for each guy in the game. Dont forget that everything in PoE use some RNG so I dont think the algorytme has a huge calculation.

btw timestamp = number of seconds since january 1st 1970.


Oh yes, there is a plethora of means to generate entropy for computer systems:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(computing)
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info